Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RkyMtnHigh

Fellow Colleagues,

My name is Chris Shaver, I am currently working on a Graduate Research Project for the completion of a Master of Aeronautical Science degree from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.The purpose of this research is to determine whether the current federal regulations regarding the use of supplemental oxygen by flight crewmembers above 25,000 feet are valid in today’s environment and whether or not completion of altitude chamber training increases the likelihood of pilots to use supplemental oxygen.

Your assistance in completing this survey will provide invaluable, anonymous data pertinent to this research topic. It is completely voluntary and is applicable to any pilot. There are 13 questions in the survey and it should take approximately 5 minutes to complete. The survey will be open to responses for 10 days from October 20 to October 30, 2009.

To take the survey, please click on the following link or paste the address into your web browser:

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/chris-shaver/one-time-pro/

Thank you

Survey reviewed, but I don't feel it's scope is adequate.

In question 1, all pilots operate under Part 91, regardless of whether they operate 135 or 121.

The survey also doesn't take into account quick donning mask systems vs. other systems, or systems or aircraft rated for higher altitudes.

Supplemental oxygen may be very appropriate at times, particularly in unpressurized aircraft, whereas it may be constricting, unnecessary, and uncomfortable in other settings. The survey attacks the issue with blanket questions and responses which do not adequately address the topic.

Thanks for your input, I am always open to constructive criticism.

In regards to your comments:

Most pilots do "typically" fly under one of the regulations.

I did add "in pressurized aircraft" to narrow the scope down a little.

This research is not designed to address unpressurized aircraft. It is only designed to address the question of using oxygen as required by the regulations.

I understand that you can get much deeper into this topic, but my resources are limited. Maybe I need to do a PhD and then I can really get deep into the topic.

Pilots operating under Part 121 or 135 are also beholden to part 91, and thus operate in accordance with both regulations. Perhaps you meant part 91 only, vs. simply Part 91...as pilots tend to operate under multiple regulations most of the time.

I typically operate under 91, 135, 121, 137, and several others throughout the year. Pilots operating under 135 are also operating under 91, and likewise pilots operating under 121 are also operating under 91, as well.

I understand that we all use the part 91 regulations for all flights. Perhaps I should not have inferred that people would understand that the survey is asking about supplemental oxygen use, and which of the regulations is applicable to their operations.

Chris,

Did you get alot of responses for your research? I am going the same route (MAS, ERAU) and hoping this forum will yield a good sample size.

Thanks,

Mike

Latest resources

Back