Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

From http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1549

When on the VOR DME-A, Circle 19 into Teterboro (KTEB) watch out for the minimums. While the circling minimums on the approach plate indicate 1000′, you might be surprised to find out that you will be instructed to remain at 1500′ by the tower. This is usually to provide separation from helicopter traffic, and can get you in trouble if you are not prepared for it.

The above is intended to be advisory in nature and does not supersede any information contained in the FAR’s or AIM. Every situation is different and may not apply to every flight.

Been like that for years. Not sure how this is a "gotcha". 95% or more of the many, many VOR-DME A approaches I've done into TEB were in much better than basic VFR wx minimums. And now it is pretty much a moot point. Since they commissioned the ILS 19 they've all but phased out the VOR-DME A.

Been like that for years. Not sure how this is a "gotcha". 95% or more of the many, many VOR-DME A approaches I've done into TEB were in much better than basic VFR wx minimums. And now it is pretty much a moot point. Since they commissioned the ILS 19 they've all but phased out the VOR-DME A.

Yup. I agree. Done hundreds of these and I don't ever recall not being told "cross TEB vor @ 1500' circle to 19" as part of the approach clearance.

Got this.

Here's a couple more gotchas... mandatory altitudes on the ILS 6 and VorDmeA. Oh, yea and DO NOT fly over Teaneck on Wednesday afternoon 10/21/09! Check your TFR's.

All these "gotcha" have been in place for years (with exception of the TFR). I also hear there is a hospital that likes you to keep it quiet!

From http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=1549

When on the VOR DME-A, Circle 19 into Teterboro (KTEB) watch out for the minimums. While the circling minimums on the approach plate indicate 1000′, you might be surprised to find out that you will be instructed to remain at 1500′ by the tower. This is usually to provide separation from helicopter traffic, and can get you in trouble if you are not prepared for it.

The above is intended to be advisory in nature and does not supersede any information contained in the FAR’s or AIM. Every situation is different and may not apply to every flight.

Mr. gotcha!! I can sing this song 3 times a day since is probably how many times a day I am at TEB….
Example:

Pilot: Teterboro tower N123XY is on the VOR DME A approach 5 miles out

Tower: N123XY after CLIFO descend and maintain 1500’ proceed overhead the airport left traffic runway 19. Extend your downwind I’ll call your base!!

Pilot: N123XY will proceed overhead the airport left traffic for Rwy 19

Tower: N123XY, you can turn your base now runway 19 clear to land use caution with the ABC antenna.

There you have it my friend (gotcha) old news!!

Last edited:
I guess I posted this in the wrong category. The intention was to alert newbies of this. The blog also has other "gotchas" from around the country. As fractional pilots, we can't know every airport detail and a little heads up should always be welcome.

I'll tell ya a "gottcha"

KDTS

Non towered field...but don't just take off VFR.

It's inside class D airspace so the minute you rotate you just entered class D without talking to the tower first.

I'll tell ya a "gottcha"

KDTS

Non towered field...but don't just take off VFR.

It's inside class D airspace so the minute you rotate you just entered class D without talking to the tower first.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDTS
Additional Remarks
- RWY 14/32 HAS A 200' STOPWAY BOTH ENDS.
- EXERCISE EXTREME VIGILANCE DUE TO CLOSE PROXIMITY TO EGLIN AFB LCTD 6NM NW OF ARPT.
- ALL ACFT CTC EGLIN CD ON 121.6 OR 127.7 FOR ATC DEP INSTR PRIOR TO TKOF.
- IFR ACFT REMAIN ON GROUND - CTC DEP CONTROL FOR CLIMB OUT INSTR AND IFR RELEASE.

Latest resources

Back