Google Earth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Photoflight said:
and to think......people used to fly airplanes with just a map and a compass.
a what and a what? what buttons do i push on my GPS to get this new-fangled "compass" thing?

:eek: Caution!I installed the Google Earth software and it is loaded with Spyware. Pop up's everywhere. I ran Ad-Aware and it found 164 objects. I cleared my cache/cookies/files, uninstalled Google Earth program and everything is back to normal. What really threw me for a loop was my IE pop-up blocker was set on High and the pop-up's just kept coming before I uninstalled the Google Earth.

Bryan D said:
:eek: Caution!I installed the Google Earth software and it is loaded with Spyware. Pop up's everywhere.

That would explain why they haven't finished the Mac version -- they just can't seem to get the spyware to work! :D :D

My favorite thing to do with Google earth is looking at old military bases I was stationed at - and trying to find the Area 51 Groom Lake test bed air base, you know, that base that doesnt officially exist :rolleyes:

dispatchguy said:
- and trying to find the Area 51 Groom Lake test bed air base, you know, that base that doesnt officially exist :rolleyes:

I definitely did NOT find an unmarked base northwest of Las Vegas next to Groom dry lake! It does not have several Janet 737s visible, as well as a few F-16s. It also does not have a closed runway that I estimated to be 18,000' long, with another 15,000' of overruns!

There was another thread about Google Earth that was lost in the Flightinfo crash that had the lat/long (stupid intrusive MIBs!). I've already found some other cool things around the world:

The Changing of the Guard is underway at Buckingham Palace.

The USS Nimitz is tied up in San Diego undergoing refitting or resupply.

The famous, and now closed, Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong is already partially covered by storage yards.

The dangerous road between the airport and the Green Zone in Baghdad looks quiet, and has three US armored vehicles parked in the median.

37.14N
115.49W

If anyone's interested...

EagleRJ said:
I definitely did NOT find an unmarked base northwest of Las Vegas next to Groom dry lake! It does not have several Janet 737s visible, as well as a few F-16s. It also does not have a closed runway that I estimated to be 18,000' long, with another 15,000' of overruns!

The one thing I thought didnt think was really interesting was that in the dry lake test bed, they dont have those lead-in circles for the 14s scratched into the dry lake.

What would need circles for a lead-in, not that I saw anything of course?

No pop up issues or anything of the sort on my laptop or desktop, both have it installed.

Latest resources

Back