• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Google Earth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Word of warning about using it for finding visual references. It is a good idea, but when I looked up my apartment, I noticed that the road and bridge down the way isn't finished in the picture. It has been done for over 2 years now. Can't verify the age of the pics.
I think as a general reference it would be OK.

An Al Quida dream come true........! It's amazing how much detail military bases with lat, longs are detailed here. Dumb A$$es! I'm uninstalling just for the principal of it and so should you! I wish DOD would get involved and stop making it easier for terrorists to pick targets! Errrggghh!!!1

dispatchguy said:
The one thing I thought didnt think was really interesting was that in the dry lake test bed, they dont have those lead-in circles for the 14s scratched into the dry lake.

What would need circles for a lead-in, not that I saw anything of course?

Are those flying saucer landing pads on the taxiways at 14R and 32L? The yellow semi circles? Six at each location.

erj-145mech said:
Are those flying saucer landing pads on the taxiways at 14R and 32L? The yellow semi circles? Six at each location.

They're safety areas for the engine intakes of F-16s when they're getting their pre-takeoff inspections.
Or, at least that's the cover story! ;)

Another interesting thing I've found on Google Earth: you can see the oil slick coming from the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Amazing that it still seeps oil after all these years.

Anyone found anything else cool on GE?

Bryan D said:
:eek: Caution!I installed the Google Earth software and it is loaded with Spyware. Pop up's everywhere. I ran Ad-Aware and it found 164 objects. I cleared my cache/cookies/files, uninstalled Google Earth program and everything is back to normal. What really threw me for a loop was my IE pop-up blocker was set on High and the pop-up's just kept coming before I uninstalled the Google Earth.

Sorry I call BS, there isnt any of that in google earth, either you work for Yahoo or you screwed up.

http://www.softpedia.com/progReportSpyware/15-5-988

JetLee said:
An Al Quida dream come true........! It's amazing how much detail military bases with lat, longs are detailed here. Dumb A$$es! I'm uninstalling just for the principal of it and so should you! I wish DOD would get involved and stop making it easier for terrorists to pick targets! Errrggghh!!!1
what a dork.

JetLee said:
NEWSFLASH!

Al Queda ran passenger jets into both World Trade Center towers, and the Pentagon without the aid of Google Earth.

We might as well enjoy the advances of technology without being all paranoid about it!

Besides, going on your premise we should also ban handheld, and panel-mounted GPS's since that's a much stronger tool then Google Earth.

Satellite Photos

Another site worth checking out: www.virtualearth.msn.com that requires no downloads to mess up your computer and the resolution on the photos is good enough to see the furniture on my deck.

That MSN VirtualEarth site looks like nothing more then the glorified TerraServer site of years past. Makes me appreciate the color of GoogleEarth even more!

Latest resources

Back