Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polysciguy9

Hey guys,

I've found Google Earth to be an awesome program for GA flight planning purposes. The program gives you a detailed sattelite map of most urban areas (and their surrounding areas). It's good for GA planning because you can identify nearby buildings, roads, etc. - especially if it's an airport you're unfamiliar with. The rotation and movement features actually allow you to approach the airfield like you would in flight.

Even if you don't use it for flight purposes, it's still pretty awesome - check it out ... http://earth.google.com/

greygoose said:
Google had satellite images out for a while, all you had to do was type in the area or address.

Yeah, but the software just came out, I think. It offers a lot more features, and you can zoom in further. The best feature is the ability to rotate the camera to have more of a horizontal view than the simple over the top shot the pictures give you.

and to think......people used to fly airplanes with just a map and a compass.

Good, fun, program, been out for a little over a month (I think). There was another thread on it in the "non-aviation" section.
IMHO, it's worth the download...but you'd better have broadband to use it, not for dialup!

Photoflight said:
and to think......people used to fly airplanes with just a map and a compass.
...and people used to connect to the internet over their phone line...:rolleyes:

Is there a free program out there that will give you a view of the terrain elevation in cross section so to speak, as if you are looking at your route from the side and can see the mountain peaks, valleys etc and your route above?

Latest resources

Back