• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Goodbye AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People forget that Airtran is one of the few that didn't take 40% pay from and also furlough 1/3'rd of their pilots after 9/11. It is a LCC. Their new contract, whenever it happens will have some improvements and some concessions. Everbody knows what they are getting into when they go to work there. The people that just bitch and moan would do that anywhere.
Fedex, UPS and LUV; arguably the best airlines to work for right now, sucked 15 years ago. Pilots stuck to it and negotiated better terms each time contract negotiations came around. This can be done at Airtran also. It is not going to happen over night. It is the same at every airline, some will always be miserable. Make the best of what you have and move on if you are not happy. Life is too short to be miserable. Anybody that has a better offer please leave. Lots of airlines are hiring now. Just my $0.02 Fire away.

AirTran pilots didn't take concessions after 9/11 because they were making 50% less to begin with. That's a fact.

Why in the world would you assume there would be any concessions? Profitable airlines don't deserve concessions from labor. AT has been profitable every year since 9/11 and you've convinced yourself there will be concessions, unbelievable! This is exactly why we're a weak pilot group with no negotiating leverage.

You can not compare UPS FedEx or LUV to AirTran. Two of them are cargo, completely different ball game all together. They generate many times the profits of the pax world. LUV cares about their employees and recognizes their contribution to the airline, AT doesn't. We'll always be mediocre, at best.

AirTran pilots didn't take concessions after 9/11 because they were making 50% less to begin with. That's a fact.

That's a fact and the individual you're referring to, is a classic example of one that is not informed on what other airlines are doing. Thus, living in their own little comfy place.

Why in the world would you assume there would be any concessions? Profitable airlines don't deserve concessions from labor. AT has been profitable every year since 9/11 and you've convinced yourself there will be concessions, unbelievable! This is exactly why we're a weak pilot group with no negotiating leverage.

Again I agree with your notion of that individual. A classic defeatist attitude, I might add.

You can not compare UPS FedEx or LUV to AirTran. Two of them are cargo, completely different ball game all together. They generate many times the profits of the pax world. LUV cares about their employees and recognizes their contribution to the airline, AT doesn't. We'll always be mediocre, at best.

You're correct for the most part. But I'll differ in the fact that you can also be compensated similarly to LUV cause the expense models are similar. Also, instead of accepting mediocrecy, why not instead rally the troops and lead them on a more positive direction. Help educate them so as to understand why they can, and need to fight for what they deserve.

why not instead rally the troops and lead them on a more positive direction. Help educate them so as to understand why they can, and need to fight for what they deserve.

The last guy who tried that is collecting unemployment.

What has your attendance record been at previous jobs?

I never missed a trip in the first 6 years. Had an injury and was out on OJI, then went 2 more years without missing a trip..

All my references are great guys with a good standing at AirTran.

I have never written any F/O up. I have no enemies. (that I know of).

Ifly, I can tell you this. There are some legal issues here that need exploring. It takes A LOT to rescind a job offer. They are opening themselves up to a whole heck of a lot.
Needless to say, I would continue to check. NJA is an awesome place, and where I will hang my had if I get kicked to the street. Lots of people over there love it.

If you hate your job and it is only mediocre than by all means quit. QOL in employment is all relative. You took this job knowing all these details and now you just want to complain. Your opinion is just that, your opinion. You can always let your feet do the talking. I was not compairing AAI to FEDEX, UPS or LUV. I was simply making a point that those places sucked to work for 15 or 20 years ago and look at them now. Their pay scale and QOL did not come in one round of negotiations. It took time to get where they are today.

I did not assume there should have been concessions after 9/11. I simply stated that AAI did not cut your pay and furlough 1/2 the pilot group. Simple facts.
What is your basis for saying that AAI has a weak pilot group. They voted down the last TA like you wanted didn't they. Just because people don't see things your way doesn't make them wrong. Everybody has to vote for what they feel is right and the majority vote wins. Democracy, what a concept. If you are in the minority then maybe your opinion is wrong.

I had a job offer from SW which was rescinded right after completed my physical;no letter just a phone call from HR.they didn't want to tell me the reason.
I panicked,went to my physician for a complete check up;all results came back negative,he couldn't find any health issue.SOUTHWEST never sent me a rejection letter,not even a reapply in 6 months letter.
I found it strange but decided not to give them a 2nd thought.since then i moved on to other pastures.
My advice to you,do the same and never look back.

After given the green light for a class on Feb 25th, I was notified today my offer was taken back. I have NO IDEA what happened.

The only thing I have been told was that is was made at the VP level. That makes no sense. The VP level people approved me for class originally.

I don't know if something on my background came up or what. So I called my current company and they said my record was immaculate. All jobs prior I left on great terms.

For the rest of my background check, I have nothing. I have never even had a speeding ticket. I was approved for FFDO 2 years back. That's a long background check.

So, I don't know what else it could be. I have no enemies who would blackball me. I am truly devastated right now. Lucky me, I didn't give a 2 weeks notice yet..

I wish I knew what happened. I wonder if something came up in error.

1) Perhaps you're too perfect if never had a speeding ticket.

2) Devastated over what? Airtran? Come on. There are much better companies to work for. Relax.

Dude:
Do not sweat it. It happens quite a bit. It happened to an acquaintance at B6 just last month. Get the call and e-mail on Monday to the have some knucklehead from HR to read you a scripted statement from "HR for dummies" the next day that makes no sense whatsoever!!!.
Like everybody else said, keep you chin up, there is more than one game in town. You mentioned Netjets. I believe that's a much better option in the long run.
Good luck to you.

.... I simply stated that AAI did not cut your pay and furlough 1/2 the pilot group. Simple facts.
What is your basis for saying that AAI has a weak pilot group. .

Simple facts? You'd better check your sources.

AirTran pilots DID have their pay cut after 9/11.

What is my basis for saying the pilot group is weak? How about the fact that we've been in mediation for almost 3 years and this pilot group has done nothing to exert any leverage, nada. *News Flash* the company won't give you crap because you ask nice. If you're coming from a regional with a sh!tty contract, maybe this place doesn't seem so bad. I guess if you're happy working under the current conditions, why bother doing anything?

Latest resources

Back