• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good twin for charter/instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Baron 58 w/ club seating - it's got an aft access door like the senecas. Good for instruction; good for charter because they're a heck of a lot faster than senecas (30-40 knots over normally aspirated). I second the turbo'd opinion - for training you'll blow it in no time.

~wheelsup

I would say a Seneca II or III, But if the insurance is not going to be any problems then a B58. I dont think a TwinCO would be a good charter plane. They are just not big enough.

You can't ride two horses with one a$$

Trying to do that is the same as every weekend warrior pilot looking for that one airplane that is cheap, goes high, fast and comfortably on hardly any gas. If you get a good charter airplane it burns too much fuel and will cost so much per hour that it'll have a price that won't attract any business. Harsh reality but true.

I don't think that its a problem for a student to learn a high performance twin aircraft as opposed to a trainer right off the bat, but its simply the price that is the major factor.

Trainers aren't meant to haul pax, and serious twins aren't meant to be trained in. Personally, I learned to fly multi in a 310R on dead legs of charter trips, it was sporadic, but I could build time and eventually went to ATP to finish the job. Had I been forced to rent a 310 for instruction, I probably couldn't have afforded it and prolonged my rating-something students hate to do.

You have to find out what you have a bigger need for, charter or instruction. I learned in a 310R, but got my rating in a Seminole. Seminole was a great training airplane, but with full fuel you may be able to carry a couple people and a dog. 310 worked great for charter but was too expensive to train in.

If you wanna fly charter get a 310R, Navajo, Baron, or an Aerostar. Those are the cheapest ones to get into the charter realm with. Most bang for the buck is probably a Navajo-Chieftain, it holds more people than all the others, but it doesn't hold a thread to a 310R flying wise IMO.

If you want to train get a Duchess or a Seminole. Cheap and easy, just the way I like my women;)

flyboyzz1 said:
Twinstar Twinstar Twinstar
The normally aspirated 180 hp Lycoming Twinstar would most likely make a very good trainer. The diesel-powered version probably wouldn't for a couple of reasons - they're turbocharged and they've got auto-feather. Autofeather is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but personally, I'd rather have initial ME students handling that task manually. Additionally, a 1+3 passenger twin for charter? Probably not the best choice.

'Sled

Can a Baron carry 6 with full fuel? I didn't think so. A twinstar can carry full fuel and 4 200 pounders. Not bad. As for the auto feather, I agree.

Latest resources

Back