Good twin for charter/instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MTpilot

My flight school is looking to get some charter going and there is a demand for Multi-engine training. What would be a good airplane to both in? We are thinking a Baron right now, Any ideas welcome, Thanks in advance

I'd say twin-commanchee.

Keep the operating costs low for you're renters, but offer your charters twin engine reliability...

Just my 2 cents...

I second the Aztec can carry a ton and is easy to fly. If you wait a bit how about a Diamond Twin Star. That would keep the costs low as heck!

Slippery Wing said:
I'd say twin-commanchee.

Keep the operating costs low for you're renters, but offer your charters twin engine reliability...

Just my 2 cents...

I've heard it's very hard to get commercial insurance on twin commanchees.

For instruction you need something simple and inexpensive to operate that has good single engine performance.
For charter you need something with comfort thats easy to get in and out. Also it needs to look good.
It's hard to find ONE aircraft that will do all the above. Most paying customers don't like to walk up on the wing then climb down into the cockpit and over into the passenger seat.
Look at a Seneca II or III.

HEADWIND

Aerocommander 500 series.
Possibly one of the safest twins flying, reasonably fast, carries a reasonable load, will be hard to find one though at a reasonable price, aircraft has a spar AD that requires compliance, I think it has to do with dissimilar metals corrosion affecting the spar webbing but I could be wrong.

Just some food for thought...

You really didn't give us enough information, but you probably don't want to be doing a lot of instruction in a turbocharged twin. All those engine inflight engine shutdowns tend to cause problems - the turbos don't take to it very well. Also, depending upon the part of the country where you're located, you may need a turbo'd twin for the MEAs. What I'm saying is that there might not be a perfect fit for both purposes.

'Sled

Nindiri said:
Aerostar 601P or 701P. Fast as hell and looks good, the two most important things.:cool:
Great idea! Excellent trainer. I'd love to go up for a few VMC demos in one of those with a 500hr MEI.:eek: :)

Latest resources

Back