Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good thing SKYWEST doesn't have a union!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The new plan has a max out of pocket of $6000 for a family. ASA puts in $1000 up front. If you have an adequate emergency fund ($5000) saved up, then this should not bankrupt you. Heck, after $2400, you only pay 20% till you get to the $6000 amount. However, if you don't have an emegency fund, and are living hand mouth, then you are on the edge and the wind is blowing.

Best of luck to you.

I am pretty good with money. I have a good bit in the bank. My mortgage is reasonable, and I have no other debt whatsoever. That doesn't mean that I would feel good about spending so many thousands for a broken leg or an appendix operation. (Not to mention all the other crazy things life can throw at you at random.) God forbid you had some chronic health condition requiring ongoing treatment and/or medication.

Thanks for your award-winning financial advice, but I think I would like very much to avoid the risk of spending $6,000 per year on potential health issues. You can go ahead and hop right over-if that suits you, but I would like the option to not take such a huge finanial risk to save $40 per paycheck.

-Sincerely-I hope your health is good and your life is long... That would be the only way the new plan would ultimately prove cheaper.

-Good point about the union-people like SkyNation can have stuff like this imposed on them at any time Jerry wishes-with absolutely no recourse.

Don't forget the policy cap is one million dollars. Spend that much and you have no insurance. The deductable resets every January 1st. Thats ok if you don't have a family with many medical bills. If you have a severe illness that won't go away you are SCREWED.

Where did you get that the high deductible plan cap in 1 million?? I was told at the person at the benefits fair that it's 2 million. It's my understanding that once you hit the deductible you basically have the PPO plan.

Scott

Where did you get that the high deductible plan cap in 1 million?? I was told at the person at the benefits fair that it's 2 million. It's my understanding that once you hit the deductible you basically have the PPO plan.

Scott

ASA has a $2 million cap in our contract.

Thanks for your award-winning financial advice, but I think I would like very much to avoid the risk of spending $6,000 per year on potential health issues. You can go ahead and hop right over-if that suits you, but I would like the option to not take such a huge finanial risk to save $40 per paycheck.

The PPO also has a max pay per year of around $6,000. Do you not think that you can run up that much per year on the PPO? It's not all $20 copays on the ppo plan.

Whether or not the plan is a good one is not the point of this thread.

The point is that it is rather nice to have at least some recourse when actions such as these are "imposed" upon us.

Executives and other employees have individual contracts which must be respected. This is simply the same thing, negotiated on behalf of a group.

And to the pilots of Skywest, I would say this;

Yes, you have it good at your airline. And some of that "good" is simply a matter of a great boss who knows the old business axiom of "take care of your employees and they will take even better care of your customers"

However most of that "good" is a result of the rising tide effect of unions at other airlines and that same great boss's desire to keep a union off the property. When will all that run out? Who knows?

And while this one little issue of health insurance will not make or brake the issue, I would suggest it is something to keep in mind, next time a union question comes up.

HMMMMM--About every year the Insurance plan changes. Has abnyone ever known a time when it got beter, and not worse! This was not a good deal.

I can't believe the poor strategy used by Inc. on this. Here we (ASA) have a PBS vote coming up and many pilots are on the fense. However, many were thinking that this would be a livable move that would help the company for the long term. However, I can't tell you how many people I've spoken with that have used this new health care issue to down any hope of voting in PBS. Skywest Inc. really dropped the ball on this and used P.P. planning. Someone in St. George ought to be getting an @$$ chewing for their choice of timing on this- it's sorta funny, actually...........Seriously, could they have timed this any worse??????

Whether or not the plan is a good one is not the point of this thread.

The point is that it is rather nice to have at least some recourse when actions such as these are "imposed" upon us.

Executives and other employees have individual contracts which must be respected. This is simply the same thing, negotiated on behalf of a group.

And to the pilots of Skywest, I would say this;

Yes, you have it good at your airline. And some of that "good" is simply a matter of a great boss who knows the old business axiom of "take care of your employees and they will take even better care of your customers"

However most of that "good" is a result of the rising tide effect of unions at other airlines and that same great boss's desire to keep a union off the property. When will all that run out? Who knows?

And while this one little issue of health insurance will not make or brake the issue, I would suggest it is something to keep in mind, next time a union question comes up.

Excellent points!

I can't believe the poor strategy used by Inc. on this. Here we (ASA) have a PBS vote coming up and many pilots are on the fense. However, many were thinking that this would be a livable move that would help the company for the long term. However, I can't tell you how many people I've spoken with that have used this new health care issue to down any hope of voting in PBS. Skywest Inc. really dropped the ball on this and used P.P. planning. Someone in St. George ought to be getting an @$$ chewing for their choice of timing on this- it's sorta funny, actually...........Seriously, could they have timed this any worse??????
Remember,
SKYW Inc. has been dealing with SKYW Airlines pilots, and as such think ALL pilots are as dumb as Inc. pilots. The bar has been set very low, garter snake low. If you guys buy off on any of the crap Inc. is dealing you are dumber than we are!
Think about it!
PBR

Latest resources

Back