• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good on the American Folks!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA guys - you deserve an industry leading contract, stay united and focused... good hunting

Instructordude - I need that lav service now, oh, and if you can get that cold beer like I asked, I'll let you see the cockpit.

JustApilot - best avatar ever

JF

The question is legitimate. I doubt the company can withstand a 53% increase in labor costs. If the pilots get that, then every other union group on the property is going to want that same.

I wonder how the company can afford it?

Stop wondering and go to business school.

At these "schools" they will give you books to read, lecture you on the material in those books (usually providing real world examples and experiences) and then, you will be tested on the material to gauge your comprehension and retention.

On some evenings during the coursework, many of the popular students will go out in larger groups together for some beer and hot wings and do what is called "socializing" or "blowing off steam". You should try to pay for their wings and/or beer and provide comic relief by eating the hot peppers or by taking a dart to the neck - just to see what it does. You might make what is called a "friend", but don't expect this.

There might be other men around campus. If you get a boner, concentrate on why you are there - to learn about how AA mgmt. can afford to pay their pilots more... and stop staring at the men... FOCUS.

There may be pretty girls there, too. Some might have large chests and wear pretty make up - don't worry, they will have no effect on your quest for knowledge.

When you graduate in 7 years, please report back to this thread with your findings. Also please let us know of your future hopes and dreams.

In the meantime, all of the pilots will be enjoying their pay increases.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

At these "schools" they will give you books to read, lecture you on the material in those books (usually providing real world examples and experiences) and then, you will be tested on the material to gauge your comprehension and retention.

On some evenings during the coursework, many of the popular students will go out in larger groups together for some beer and hot wings and do what is called "socializing" or "blowing off steam". You should try to pay for their wings and/or beer and provide comic relief by eating the hot peppers or by taking a dart to the neck - just to see what it does. You might make what is called a "friend", but don't expect this.

There might be other men around campus. If you get a boner, concentrate on why you are there - to learn about how AA mgmt. can afford to pay their pilots more... and stop staring at the men... FOCUS.

There may be pretty girls there, too. Some might have large chests and wear pretty make up - don't worry, they will have no effect on your quest for knowledge.

When you graduate in 7 years, please report back to this thread with your findings. Also please let us know of your future hopes and dreams.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

In case no one caught that, Instructordude just got his ass handed to him right there.

I don't worry about how the company can afford to pay the labor costs involved in providing the service that produces revenue. I do wonder how the management of AA can sleep at night taking their multimillion dollar bonuses while preaching "shared pain, shared gain," "pull together, win together," "Whip Inflation Now (oops)," as the pilot group is 30+ % behind in compensation. Maybe they all take Lunesta, which would explain a lot.

A couple quick facts:

-the company is making money...turned a profit the past 6 quarters despite fuel being up something like 250%
-the company has paid off $6 BILLION in debt and put another $3 BILLION in the bank that makes that cash balance about $6 BILLION
-this proposal raises the CASM by less than .5 cent keeping AA below US, CO, and DL
-the top 5 executives at AA have seen average raises of over 450% in the last 15 years
-Carpey has seen his average soar over 700%

The average pilot has seen his earnings fall 23 and 40+%, where has that money gone? To name a few:
-executive bonuses
-subsidize cheap fares, more room in coach, etc.
-subsidize the FA's contract

They CAN afford it!

I think this was pretty much all instructordude was asking for. It's a reasonable question to ask in this sort of forum and somebody was able answers it. On the other hand, the idea that pilots should on principle just ask for, and expect, mountains of cash and let the company figure out how to pay for it is just stupid. Why don't you also ask for a Unicorn? Of course they're fictional, but you want one and it's the company problem to figure out how to get you one.

Hell yes, open high. Really high. Don't accept less than reasonable. If AA can afford to pay their pilots a 50%+ raise, they damn well deserve it. Pay your Capts $500/hr if have bags of money sitting around. I don't want to see the CEO walk out with it any more than any other pilot. But if the money isn't there, reasonable heads should prevail.

Instructordude may be the moron some of you suggested. I have no idea and I don't really care. But he asks a reasonable question.

Last edited:
I think this was pretty much all instructordude was asking for. It's a reasonable question to ask in this sort of forum and somebody was able answers it. On the other hand, the idea that pilots should on principle just ask for, and expect, mountains of cash and let the company figure out how to pay for it is just stupid. Why don't you also ask for a Unicorn? Of course they're fictional, but you want one and it's the company problem to figure out how to get you one.

Hell yes, open high. Really high. Don't accept less than reasonable. If AA can afford to pay their pilots a 50%+ raise, they damn well deserve it. Pay your Capts $500/hr if have bags of money sitting around. I don't want to see the CEO walk out with it any more than any other pilot. But if the money isn't there, reasonable heads should prevail.

Instructordude may be the moron some of you suggested. I have no idea and I don't really care. But he asks a reasonable question.

In a way they do have bags of money laying around: 5.8 billion in cash. Enough also to pay the execs about 200 million in bonuses every year. Do the math; even a 30% raise would be a minor dent in overall costs.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Classic...absolutely classic. Thanks Franklin,...made my day.

D1

Last edited:
Instructordude is not really a clueless tool. He is one of the finest (since I've been on this board) trollers we have. His trolls are just (barely) believable enough to get everyone's panties in a wad, but not believable enough to be taken seriously if you're paying attention.

The person behind Instructordude is an artist, and I for one appreciate his talent. It would be tough to keep up the stupid front as long as he has without cracking.

Agree 100%.

D1

The average pilot has seen his earnings fall 23 and 40+%, where has that money gone? To name a few:
-executive bonuses
-subsidize cheap fares, more room in coach, etc.
-subsidize the FA's contract

They CAN afford it!

Explain to me why unskilled FA's, with nothing more than a high school diploma, no prior training, and no to little customer service skills are making so much?

Why do they make $20-$50 per hour?
Why do they have a pension?
Why do they have 401k's?

Why are they not on five year contracts like JBLU pilots?

Why is being a FA's a career job?

We should be recruiting on college campuses, signing them on five year deals, not renewing their contracts, paying them $10 per hour like Skybus, and cycling them in and out like the unskilled workers they are.

Experience does not build or count serving drinks. How many real evacuations does a FA's do in their career? Are they studying evacuations on other carriers daily? No. They wouldn't even know if an evacuation occurred reading People magazine all the time.

Regionals recycle the ranks every five years. Majors should do the same and lower a wasted cost.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back