• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good News out of mgm for ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. I don't think Skywest is going to call the shots going forward....DAL is going to push for lower regional costs...

2. There is nothing that says ASA has to do the ATL flying....it can be done by non-union Skywest for lower costs....We need to get a single list....

3. No I don't believe Brad is here to dismantle ASA....but he still has a Skywest seniority number and Skywest is going to be the priority....Just wait till United goes out....That will change things.....

Joe,

Once again, with all due respect how are you so sure about the future? United will not go out. SkyWest gets growth=ASA shrinks=ASA is expensive to operate. Not good business. Especially as we are BECOMING MUCH MUCH more effiecient! SkyWest could lower their costs by combining the 2 airlines and cutting roughly 15% in redundancy. I don't think they will right now at least. My opinion. SkyWest stated their ASM decreased by adding the 900's. They want that for ASA. It makes sense because they are constantly trying to lower costs reasonably.

Even if United did go Ch. 7, who would fill that capacity? Somebody has to. It doesn't just go away. Vultures would be circling. SkyWest would have a perfect opportunity to provide that Lift for
Delta or anybody else. Maybe even themselves if the opportunity was right.

There's always gonna be something else, Joe. I don't pretend to know what that something else is. But you can't look at every little piece of what might be bad news and explode it. Usually when you get a Leader that treats you right, and the Airline starts performing, then what follows is good. Not bad. The Industry SUCKS right now. ALPA is not helping, no argument. But ASA and SkyWest INC are sitting in a pretty good position looking forward. The market won't always be this dismal. It will change and we'll be a part of it.....

Who says SkyW is lower cost? Because they say so? Now your starting to sound like a Mainline pilot regarding Regional Pilots! ;-)

Trojan

Last edited:
Trojan,

I hope your right and I'm wrong....I always plan on the worst and hope for the best....I believe that is the best way to plan on the future....Even a USC coach would plan on the worst case scenario I would assume....

I look at ACA/ALG/CCAir/WestAir/CMR....things don't always "just work out"......IMO, we would be better off today if we had secured those 900s that we had on order...having them diverted to Skywest was not good....

If we belonged to a real union, we wouldn't have to worry about who gets what flying for a brand....But we don't...so we do have to compete...

I do agree with you about ASA having good leadership now....We would have it sooner if we had "settled up" sooner.....The changes are never made until after the contract is settled....

Again I hope your right.....but I see a much smaller ASA in the future.....

Trojan,

I hope your right and I'm wrong....I always plan on the worst and hope for the best....I believe that is the best way to plan on the future....Even a USC coach would plan on the worst case scenario I would assume....

I look at ACA/ALG/CCAir/WestAir/CMR....things don't always "just work out"......IMO, we would be better off today if we had secured those 900s that we had on order...having them diverted to Skywest was not good....

If we belonged to a real union, we wouldn't have to worry about who gets what flying for a brand....But we don't...so we do have to compete...

I do agree with you about ASA having good leadership now....We would have it sooner if we had "settled up" sooner.....The changes are never made until after the contract is settled....

Again I hope your right.....but I see a much smaller ASA in the future.....

Once again Joe, think about it a little. A smaller ASA means Senior pilots flying it. Less turnover, etc. Means expensive to operate. Margins go WAAAY DOWN. Don't get me wrong, I wish we had the 900's too. But we don't get the benefit of the 'Big Picture.' All we get to do is watch the results. SkyWest settled with us for a reason. Even back then, say 2005, if SkyWest aka Jerry came to the pilot group and said "Hey, give in, we're gonna give you some great leadership" would you have believe it? I know I wouldn't . Now, is a totally different picture. I'm beginning to believe in our leadership. Something I've never had. That's a good thing. Remember, ASA is STILL ridiculously profitable, because we are soooooooooooo LOW COST. To shrink or not grow means that changes. BAD BUSINESS. SKW INC is ridiculously profitable because of their conscious efforts to LOWER costs, not raise them. It's simple economics, Joe. Do you really believe SkyW could grow so fast and efficiently to mitigate the costs involved with shrinking ASA? The second that happens, all that Brad has done evaporates and we become expensive. We need to ride this momentum.

Trojan

Trojan,

Even Coach Carroll has had his bumps in the road. But he gets better and now attracts the best of the best players from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, not just in California. Players love his program because of the environment he provides. He's the best Coach I've ever seen BECAUSE of his optomism and work ethic.

Our leader competes with a very similar attitude and enthusiasm. Granted Football is football and the Airline Industry is what it is. We have great leadership, we can all see that. What we need to do now is believe in it and work at becoming a quality airline service. That will secure whatever future we need. We will grow because of that. I don't know why you don't think so. The Union will not get in the way of SKYW Inc making money. I can promise you that!

Also, think of the money SKyW inc is spending on our ACARS development and infrastructure. Why would they do that if we are hung out to die?

Trojan

Last edited:
Once again Joe, think about it a little. A smaller ASA means Senior pilots flying it. Less turnover, etc. Means expensive to operate. Margins go WAAAY DOWN. Don't get me wrong, I wish we had the 900's too. But we don't get the benefit of the 'Big Picture.' All we get to do is watch the results. SkyWest settled with us for a reason. Even back then, say 2005, if SkyWest aka Jerry came to the pilot group and said "Hey, give in, we're gonna give you some great leadership" would you have believe it? I know I wouldn't . Now, is a totally different picture. I'm beginning to believe in our leadership. Something I've never had. That's a good thing. Remember, ASA is STILL ridiculously profitable, because we are soooooooooooo LOW COST. To shrink or not grow means that changes. BAD BUSINESS. SKW INC is ridiculously profitable because of their conscious efforts to LOWER costs, not raise them. It's simple economics, Joe. Do you really believe SkyW could grow so fast and efficiently to mitigate the costs involved with shrinking ASA? The second that happens, all that Brad has done evaporates and we become expensive. We need to ride this momentum.

Trojan

The problem is there are only so many 700/900s to go around with the current mainline scope.....Most of them have already been doled out....

Jerry said he was going to divert our 900s if we kept holding out for what we were holding out for....He followed thru on that threat....Many of the ALPA chest thumpers said it was an idle threat....Then when it happened, they said "well they weren't coming here anyway".....

The fact is they were coming here and they were diverted....

Sometimes it is hard to recapture lost opportunities....hopefully more will come along and we won't make the same mistake in the future...

As far as "settleing"...I think it was our side that finally settled....We never did get the big raise on the 700 we were holding out for.....There is a lot of tought talking from our side....but the fact is we did fold on a lot of items......

I've got a strong inclination that our 900 flying is going to come at the expense of Mesa. Watch what happens when the 20 mil per month influx stops with Mesa. They're already sucking water.

I am very curious to know exactly who financed the 900's Mesa is flying. If I'm not mistaken, they were purchased by Delta and awarded to Mesa. Anyone have the scoop on this?

I would like to see bigger airplanes. From a business sense, it makes sense. Bigger airplanes lower CASM. It is my understanding that Skywest wants just that- to be west of the Mississippi. Atlantic Southeast would be taking the flying that is east of the Mississippi. Another funny rumor I heard was the renaming of ASA to SkyEast, in order to escape the bad press.

I personally talked to a couple of maintenance guys that confirmed that the aluminum "ASA" badging will be removed from the aft bulkhead (by the lav) in all of our aircraft. I was trying to get details on how to aquire one for my office, but apparently they have to be accounted for and turned in to the maintenance "Higher Up's". I guess it is some sort of trade mark issue.

That is F'n funny stuff on Lisa W. !!! I have often thought similar about her.

Two thoughts.

1) Brad is a pilot, running the ship, how many other airlines have or had a president that began as a pilot? I think I'm correct on this, I'm sure I'll be corrected if not. Point being, a pilot understands the front line if he takes the time to.

2) CREWS!!, get you and your damn FA's off the plane on a turn when your passengers are off. This stuff matters now!

Medeco

Piedmont (yes, the Southwest of the 80's) was founded and managed by Tom Davis. He was a pilot himself as was Gordon Bethune, who got his start at Piedmont as well. From what I understand, when Piedmont got a new aircraft type, Gordon Bethune got typed in it. After USAir bought Piedmont in 1987, the USAir execs ran all the Piedmont management out because they were just a bunch of good ole' boys that didn't know how to run a big airline. So, they all went to Continental. I'd cut my arm off to bring that outfit back!

Exactly Medeco, couldn't agree more! Get off the airplane without social hour so we can keep the performance up. If ever there is a time in your career for everyone to be motivated, this is it! I'm affraid it's survival of the fittest from here on out.

I had to laugh at the news conference in Alabama with Eye Ess Eye. I can't believe they are all talking about OUR airline. Are they for real?!? I can't believe it.........KEEP IT UP GUYS!

PS- when do the bonus checks come out?

1. I don't think Skywest is going to call the shots going forward....DAL is going to push for lower regional costs...

2. There is nothing that says ASA has to do the ATL flying....it can be done by non-union Skywest for lower costs....We need to get a single list....

3. No I don't believe Brad is here to dismantle ASA....but he still has a Skywest seniority number and Skywest is going to be the priority....Just wait till United goes out....That will change things.....

Considering the Q1 losses, I'd be more worried about Delta...6.4 Billion in one quarter, ouch! Although EVERY major is going to have a hard time in the current economic environment.

personally talked to a couple of maintenance guys that confirmed that the aluminum "ASA" badging will be removed from the aft bulkhead (by the lav) in all of our aircraft. I was trying to get details on how to aquire one for my office, but apparently they have to be accounted for and turned in to the maintenance "Higher Up's". I guess it is some sort of trade mark issue.

that has nothing to do with rebranding though. delta wants the regional branding gone. notice the little asa on the nose, thats there cause its required. our press is getting better by the day. look at mgm. just hope it continues.

but agree that our 900s will most likely come from someone else

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back