Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good News for SWA Pilots!!!??? Breaking News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wankel7 said:
Your DA20 has TR....lucky :( Good call on just getting it down. Not a time to be screwing around.

Yuppers! It's got TR's but we don't have the BR engines :( Oh, well, .80 is better than the .67 we struggle to get in the Diamondjet! As far as just getting it down - that's just the way it's gotta be sometimes. And if we HAD customers on board, we'd just tell them ahead of time so they understand.

My favorite theory the night of the accident was that there was a problem with the flaps. As a result the pilots had to use the secondary flaps!

I hate having to flip to the Abnormal Checklist for the "Primary Flap Inop" stuff...especially in the snow...so I usually will opt to slip the Falcon, but make the PNF cover the "Do Not Slip With Flaps" placard...

9GClub said:
My low time and apparent global ignorance aside, however, does anybody wanna humor me and agree that 31C that night was an accident waiting to happen?

20/20 hindsight is not particularly helpful.

Before each landing a SWA crew enters all of the applicable landing data into their onboard performance computer (OPC)--a tablet PC that is stowed behind the F/O's seat. Unless the crew disregarded their procedures, and there has been no indication that they did, then the landing was within all limitations based on the information available to the crew.

The next question is if the crew had the most current information and if that information was accurate.

TR's during landing

We ran numbers through the BBJ Boeing Laptop Tool. It provides landing data. When we select TR's inoperative, the landing distance is the same as before they are selcted inop. I would therefore venture to guess, that 737-700 landing distance, calculated by Boeing on their laptop tool does not include the use of TR's. That is also consistent with our performance inflight data of the checklist.

C40,

Were you looking at fair or poor braking?s The SWA computer generate autobrake equivalent numbers. I dry conditions, those numbers can be achieved regardless of T/R usage. In fair or poor braking conditions, brakes alone may not achieve the autobrake deceleration rates. Under these conditions, the T/Rs have a significant effect.

Latest resources

Back