Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good News for SWA Pilots!!!??? Breaking News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9GClub said:
[6522'-1000'=] 5522' contaminated runway

What is 6522-1000? The runway has a displaced threshold leaving only 5826' available for landing. Glide slope hits the runway with a little more than 4900' remaining.

Oakum_Boy said:
Yes, absolutely! Thrust reversers have negligible effect on a dry runway!
No! ABSOLUTELY untrue statement as an absolute. The effectiveness of reverse thrust is specific to the aircraft upon which the reversers are installed.

Reverse is all but irrelevant on a Falcon 50/900 - only one bucket. Reverse is frighteningly effective on a GII/III!

Last edited:
EagleRJ said:
A good way to think about it is: Part 121 tells you how much runway is required, and Part 25 tells you how much runway is actually used.
This is a really BAD way to think of it. Part 25 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the daily operation of an aircraft of any kind.

Part 25 deals with certification of an aircraft that a manufacturer wants to sell to its customers. It is a list of things the manufacturer must do in constructing the plane, the performance goals that must be met by that plane once it enters flight testing, and the data that must be documented and made available to the pilots who will operate the plane once the aircraft is certified.

The only substantive connection between Part 121 and Part 25 is that Part 121 requires the use of Part 25 certified aircraft in order to obtain operations specifications and a certificate. The major reason? Part 25 guarantees that the plane will climb if the most critical powerplant suddenly becomes inoperative at or after V1.

While I certainly don't want to offend anyone, I keep reading and hearing that the landing was "smooth". I just landed my Falcon 20 in blowing snow during the same storm when it hit the northeast on Friday. AND on a runway that's 4840'. Understand, my airplane only weighed 26,000 #'s (I have no idea 737 data), but by landing "firm", I was able to deploy the TR's without any hesitation and barely touch the brakes (didn't want to crank them up on a contaminated rwy), leaving about 1000' remaining. I can tell you when I give the customer a smooth landing, the squat switch doesn't always engage immediately. I don't want to speculate on another pilot's technique, however I am saying what my experience has shown me. During the winter in the northeast, sometimes an ugly "carrier" landing is all I can give 'em if the runway precludes the much sought after grease.

Dumbledore said:
This is a really BAD way to think of it. Part 25 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the daily operation of an aircraft of any kind.

I see. So what you're telling me is that I can land at Ref +30 using takeoff flaps, and use only reverse to save the brakes, and I'll use exactly the amount of runway it states in the performance charts? :rolleyes:

Where do you think your takeoff and landing data comes from?

I had a source tell me that the reversers are included on the 737-700 landing data but not on the previous versions of the 737. Can anybody who flys the 737-700 nail that down. All I know is Airbus and they are not included in landing data.

Lampshade said:
I had a source tell me that the reversers are included on the 737-700 landing data but not on the previous versions of the 737. Can anybody who flys the 737-700 nail that down. All I know is Airbus and they are not included in landing data.

Exactly which "landing data" are you talking about? Factored or actual?

Dumbledore said:
No! ABSOLUTELY untrue statement as an absolute. The effectiveness of reverse thrust is specific to the aircraft upon which the reversers are installed.

Reverse is all but irrelevant on a Falcon 50/900 - only one bucket. Reverse is frighteningly effective on a GII/III!

Not on a dry runway, I'm afraid. You're saying that two buckets are more effective than one? That isn't rocket science. My point is that on a dry runway, thrust reverse has relatively little importance when comared to a slippery runway. One bucket or four, it is all relative-

Oakum_Boy said:
Exactly which "landing data" are you talking about? Factored or actual?
You crack me up. Why don't you answer both if you know? Or better yet just the important one.

Latest resources

Back