• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: Good Morning Fairbanks!

mar[/i] [b]...VCFG...[/b][/quote][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Iceman21 said:
Pardon my ignorance...

Very Cold Fog... :D

Mar, I've been meaning to ask you...what the fcuk are you doing in Alaska anyway? Couldn't find anyplace colder?

Last edited:
I like Alaska

I like Alaska too!

In fact I think I may have blown a Cathay Pacific interview when the guy asked me if I like living in Alaska. I replied, "I love it."

...Thank you very much, we'll be in touch...:rolleyes:

Typhoon, man, I only came to Alaska because I was tired of flight instructing and *literally* could not find a job anywhere else in the nation.

It was 1995. They paid me 28$/hr to fly 172s and 207s. It was 135 experience.

I never had big dreams of flying in the bush. I just wanted to make some money and log some time.

Then I met some people; saw some things; developed skills I never thought I'd need and made some pretty good coin on top of it all.

I was changed forever; best decision I ever made.

I'm glad you asked because I love to let people know what we do up here. So often, as you well know, it seems the entire industry revolves around RJs and contracts.

A while back, I mentioned RJs to one of our captains and he said, "What's that?":D

Re: I like Alaska too!

mar said:
So often, as you well know, it seems the entire industry revolves around RJs and contracts.
It doesn't ?!? :eek:

I know what you mean, though. One of my father's best friends is a former Air Force and Air Florida guy. I remember them sitting in the living room and talking for hours about "airplane stuff." It was the highlight of my childhood to sit there and listen to dad's DC-9 stories and Steve's F-4 stories.

Then came Frank Lorenzo, etc., and before long all dad and Steve were talking about was contracts, cooling-off periods, B-scales, hostile takeovers, cabotage, duty rigs, retirement, etc, etc.

It was depressing. :(

That's 31 *above* zero.

PAFA 210353Z VRB04KT 10SM FEW200 31/09 A2996 RMK AO2 SLP147 T03060089

Heh. Ironically, it was raining last week.... :rolleyes:

Moving on

OK, what's wrong with this picture...

I spent the winter in Fairbanks where I saw lows (during a trip to Fort Yukon) of -52F, and now I'll be spending the summer in training with America West in Phoenix at around +120F.

Somehow I've got this all backwards! :)

HAL

HAL said:
OK, what's wrong with this picture...

I spent the winter in Fairbanks where I saw lows (during a trip to Fort Yukon) of -52F, and now I'll be spending the summer in training with America West in Phoenix at around +120F.

Somehow I've got this all backwards! :)

HAL
But it's a dry heat...;)

How good looking are the women in Alaska. I am thinking about making the jump up there too. But NOT with out Da' Women!

This and that

HAL--Congrats! I can't believe they made you fly in anything less than -40F. Usually brittle door handles and steps are enough to convince management it doesn't pay to fly when it's that cold. Yeah, yeah, I've heard all those stories from the old days too...I'm not old school.

Women in Alaska? The old joke goes, There's one behind every tree--but there ain't no trees.

What can I say? There's a small oasis in Anchorage and a smaller one in Fairbanks. I've never spent anytime in Juneau so I can't say. But I know quite a few pilots that have met the love of their life when they picked up a young teacher or nurse to bring her back to town.

You just never know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back