Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Independence Air Article - Read it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On Your Six said:
However, I am a little skeptical of its huge reliance on CRJs... The CRJ has a high CASM and it is extremely uncomfortable for passengers - low windows, small bins and zero space. I don't think business travelers will flock to CRJs if larger airplanes are offered at a reasonable price (SWA out of BWI or DCA/BWI for AirTran). Even TED will offer Airbus flights to a number of Indy's likely Florida destinations (we'll see on Wednesday). USAirways will likely cut fares out of DCA as it gets more and more desparate - using 737s and Airbuses.... I wish the Do-Jet would stick around - as a passenger, I have preferred the Do-Jet big time - so much more comfortable than the CRJ.

I am hopeful that, unlike Midway, Indy finds a way to make the CRJ/Airbus operation work... I wish everyone there good luck.

Thanks for your good luck wish, on your six.

As for using the CRJ's, yes, it is a less than perfect situation, but it is the plane we have in our fleet now and must be used. When the route structure is fleshed out with the Airbusses, you will see the CRJs relagated to the smaller cities.

If you are in a mid size to smaller city, your choices will be our RJs 6 or more times a day or a regional airline supporting a main hub 3 or 4 time a day or if you are lucky another LCC flying a 717 or EMB190 2 to 3 time a day. We are using the strategy of frequency and low trip costs to make up for the higher CASM.

Speaking of CASM, we will be much lower than traditionnal regoinals for 2 reasons: 1. Higher daily utilization (spreading our fixed costs over more flights) and 2. deleting the margin that the big global airline must pay to the little regional to get that big global name to the smaller cities. That margin is in your ticket price now, just like the markup you pay in a small town store.

In a perfect world, as a new startup, we would not have chosen the CRJ. The EMB 190 or Boeing 717 is much better at balancing the CASM and trip costs. But we do have the advantage of a mature infrastructure. We will be up & running quickly.

Again, thanks for the good luck messages.

About those cramped CRJs we fly:

The seat pitch and width is the same as the 737.

Large carry on bags are accomodated in the rear bin. True, you don't have in flight access, but you also don't have someone bashing your arm with their big bag when they shlep to the rear of the plane.

We won't put you on an RJ for those horrible 3 and 4 hour flights. RJs were never intended for that type of flying.

I love First Class seats on main line too. Who doesn't. But, I get to use them all the time because you paying passengers won't buy them. I've been on many a flight that filled FC with non revenue passengers. The airline isn't even covering their fuel costs on those seats! A seat is a perishable commodity. Once the door closes it has zero value and cannot be put on a shelf waiting for a buyer to came along.

You will have to give up FC on Independence, but we will never overbook on you or bump you.

Miles otoole,

Tell you nervous friends that Independence has experienced crews. I will be going into the Airbus in the first wave of line pilots. Yes, I'm a recent college grad, if you agree that 1978 is recent (I do). I will be happy to stand at the loading door and welcome them aboard my flight. I hope they see the 20 year ALPA pilot union pin I wear on my tie as well. All Airbus Captains will have over 10 years experience and some of us have 7 years as CRJ Captains. The CRJ is small, but very sophisticated and demands a lot of attention to fly. It is good training for graduating to the bigger planes.

Yes, we did hire fresh faces right out of college a few years back, but now those fresh faces have a few years of experience under their belts. We will not be hiring again for the forseeable future.

PBE, I wouldn't put very much credibility in those who have a vested self-interest in an Independance Air failure. What you guys are doing is absolutely the most courageous initiative in the airline industry today. Sure it is an uphill battle, as is any startup's, but you have a great shot at success.

Best wishes.

F*ck all the cynical a$$ holes on this site. They just constantly bash on others so they can feel better about themselves. Good luck with Indy Air. Hell, people thought FedEx was a crazy idea when it was formed in the late seventies. Wonder what those people are saying now!

If ACA/Indy is successfull, (which I think they will be) it will change the industry. I know all the current regionals are watching them very close and some wish they were doing it. I also know there is a lot envy out there. This industry is changing, smaller not bigger is better. We will all see what happens. I am just glad I am emplyed by a well respected airline and have options.

Latest resources

Back