Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Independence Air Article - Read it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

Sounds like a lot of positive energy and optimism. I just hope that using a huge fleet of CRJs (not very economic or very comfortable) is a good thing. It didn't work well for Midway.

I wish everyone at Independence Air luck and I look forward to riding on those A319s!

Flight Plan Calls for New Approach
Atlantic Coast Retools Its Culture to Fit Independence
By Amy Joyce
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 17, 2004; Page E01

"The Rock Show" by Blink-182 pounded through speakers the size of refrigerators, all shrieking guitars and thundering drums. "Hanging out behind the club on the weekends, acting stupid, getting drunk with my best friends."

Kerry B. Skeen, 51, chief executive of Dulles-based Atlantic Coast Airlines Holdings Inc., soon to be Independence Air, ran up the aisle of the National Conference Center in Leesburg on Monday morning, high-fiving employees. He hit the stage, basking in the clapping of 400 people. "Welcome," he shouted, "to the 'Fly I' experience!"

Not your average employee get-together, but then this isn't the average company. Skeen is making a huge bet that Atlantic Coast can change from a prosaic contractor feeding short flights into United Airlines to a risk-taking, buccaneering cheap-seat airline, a move no airline like his has made before. Now he has to sell these 400 people -- and 3,600 more employees just like them -- on the notion that he is right to leave the comfortable business the airline is in now and that to accompany him on this risky flight they need to change the way they have always worked.

Changing a corporate culture this way isn't easy, but Skeen has a powerful motivator: If the company doesn't make this change successfully, it could die.

In a month, Atlantic becomes Independence Air, going head-to-head with Jet Blue and United Airlines' new low-fare unit, Ted, at Dulles International Airport over who can sell the cheapest seats. It's high-risk, high-stakes stuff, far riskier than Atlantic's old business -- for a straight fee, contracting its small jets to feed small-town passengers onto United's bigger jets on longer flights.

But the airline industry wobbled after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and United went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection a year later and tried to cut what it pays Atlantic. Atlantic balked. Released from its United contract, Atlantic will begin to pull out of its United Express business June 5 and launch its new flights June 16.

The small airline Mesa Air Group Inc. last year took a run at Atlantic in a hostile deal that Atlantic fought off in December. It has been a rough year for employees. And now this.

"We're petrified," said Tom Kissel, a technical writer who has worked for Atlantic for two years. "But people are really jazzed up. We're excited to get away from United."

The airline's president, Thomas J. Moore, took the stage. More rock roared through the speakers. A middle-aged woman on a folding chair in the back nodded. "Um-hmmm,'' she said, like she was in church. She elbowed a friend.

"We're not taking the easy way out and signing up for United Express," Moore said. "We're going for the gold!" Now she was rocking, stomping and clapping, ready to explode from her seat.

Companies, after all, do change. Consider Staples Inc., the office supply company, which in 1995 moved from a membership-only warehouse retailer to a more conventional store. It had been on the warehouse model since its founding in 1986. The switch worked, the company says: It has 1,600 stores worldwide, compared with fewer than a third of that number in 1995.

"A lot of companies are looking to do culture changes just in general because their current culture is not adapting and responsive enough to the marketplace," said Myrna Marofsky, president of consultants ProGroup Inc.

At Continental Airlines Inc., when Gordon M. Bethune became chief executive a decade ago, the company was at the bottom of the list for customer service and on-time flights. Bethune transformed the airline. He focused on measuring the things Continental did worst, showed the results quarterly and gave bonuses to employees who met his goals. Bethune got rid of a motley fleet of different planes and focused on just one model to lower maintenance costs.

Sometimes, though, trying to change a culture just doesn't work. When Dulles-based America Online Inc. merged with Time Warner Inc. in 2001, AOL said it wanted to inject its "Internet DNA" into its old-media partner. But when AOL stumbled and Time Warner's stodgier magazines and movies prospered, AOL instead had to adapt its own culture.

These days, the mantra is to make changes before circumstances force them.

When Skeen formulated his gamble last year, executives knew they had to change the airline's culture. The company was highly profitable; earnings nearly doubled to $83 million, with sales of almost $900 million, in its latest annual report. But Skeen argued that tying your future mostly to a single customer in bankruptcy was risky, too.

"For the board, it was the matter of weighing both alternatives, and there were substantial risks to both," Skeen said through a spokesman. "It will have an upside in the long haul. The risk of being associated with United has a much higher risk."

The airline hired BrandInside, a consulting company, to help with things like getting Atlantic employees into shape for handling ticket counters. As United Express, most Atlantic employees rarely dealt with the public: They simply got customers from one place to another while United sold the tickets and handled baggage.

The airline's public face will now be extremely important. Atlantic wants to set itself apart by trying to position itself as a low-fare airline, but also as convenient and friendly. In training sessions, employees learn that when they make announcements at the gate they must make eye contact with customers and speak slowly and deliberately. If an employee is taking a break and sees a line, she must stop and ask customers how she can help.

"They want a personality to it versus a mechanized experience you get with other airlines," said Bill Fitzgerald, vice president and general manager of BrandInside, a division of the Martin Agency in Richmond. The airline has connected "with people on a very personal level and helped them see that by being more themselves, being genuine, helpful, proactive, that it would not only be more fun and enjoyable, they'd make a huge difference in the marketplace."

Employees are encouraged to break from what the company says were United's rigid rules and to "freelance" ideas, said Angie Shermer, vice president of Employee Services, the department rolling out the changes. "We realize we're going to have to get used to this new skin."

If there is one idea the company wants to get across, that is it. "It's really breaking away from the customs," Skeen said in an interview after Monday's rally. "We spent a lot of time defining who we are. Now we will make sure what we do day-to-day represents that."

Atlantic Coast will have a leg up in making these changes -- or perhaps, more accurately, it has no choice. It's easier to get employees to go along with a dramatic new plan if there's not much alternative. If Atlantic employees want to keep their jobs, they have to make Skeen's plan work. And even if they don't buy into his vision for the company, the airline industry is in such a mess, they can't walk out the door to another airline.

The employees "don't have 10 other job options right now," said Reena Aggarwal, professor of finance at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University. "So it's in employee interest to make sure it works."

Still, a lot of the campaign is as much about selling nervous employees on the new company as selling the public. Many analysts and experts, in fact, don't believe the company can make it as a low-fare airline. There's too much competition; the airline has the wrong-sized jets; it's hard for companies to change.

Competition will be ferocious, said Robert J. Gordon, a professor of economics at Northwestern University. Atlantic should expect its former partner United and another local competitor, US Airways, to match its low fares. Already United has launched an incentive campaign to hang on to Washington area fliers.

In April, Atlantic said it would lose significantly more money this year than it had expected: $8 million to $10 million in the second quarter, $25 million to $30 million in the third and $15 million in the fourth. It has $350 million in cash.

Those were scary numbers for the people at last Monday's pep rally, and even as executives tried to reassure them, they also pushed penny-pinching when employees broke into smaller groups for special sessions.

"The cash we have in our bank account is all we have to defend ourselves from competitors," said Steven Westberg, an Atlantic vice president, to employee groups who got a chance to win a trip to the Bahamas if they attended his session. He begged them to help save money in ways as simple as reusing three-ring binders and staying at less-expensive hotels. "If you wouldn't spend it yourself, don't have Independence spend it."

Gene Reynolds, a long-time ramp employee, with wheel chocks around his neck, won the most cheers and applause -- until the tall, imposing Skeen walked down the runway in his jeans and a dark blue Independence Air shirt. The crowd went crazy. And then even crazier when he looked into the lights and pumped his fist into the air, his pinky sticking up to make the "I" for Independence.

"Go, I," he shouted.

As the music pounded and people shouted, the 400 pumped their pinkies in the air, too.

I didn't mean it that way, I just hope my friends at ACA stay employed and have long careers at an energetic though risky airline.

Seriously Good luck.

"...employee groups who got a chance to win a trip to the Bahamas if they attended his session."

Sooooooooo......Is it me or shouldn't employees not have to be bribed to attend a pep rally? I really hope it goes well, but it reminds me of the pre-ipo/dot com mentality of the late 90s.
Every time I speak with an IAD flyer friend (9-10 buddies), I ask of their opinions about Independence. Not one will fly them them if they can avoid it. Interestingly enough, a couple of non-pilot friends truly believe that the Indy crews are much more inexperienced than their future competition. They translate that to a higher accident/lower safety rate. One even said more than a few office workers expressed concern to the corporate travel department, "I will not fly the next ValueJet."
The perception isn't good. Consumers are becoming more and more finicky by the day. "I am not going to fly a commercial plane flown by a recent college grad. Besides, with UA, the frequent flyer benefits are great."
Good luck. I wouldn't want to be in front of this train wreck.

I think Indy has a good chance of doing well - I like its energy and A319 strategy.

However, I am a little skeptical of its huge reliance on CRJs... The CRJ has a high CASM and it is extremely uncomfortable for passengers - low windows, small bins and zero space. I don't think business travelers will flock to CRJs if larger airplanes are offered at a reasonable price (SWA out of BWI or DCA/BWI for AirTran). Even TED will offer Airbus flights to a number of Indy's likely Florida destinations (we'll see on Wednesday). USAirways will likely cut fares out of DCA as it gets more and more desparate - using 737s and Airbuses.... I wish the Do-Jet would stick around - as a passenger, I have preferred the Do-Jet big time - so much more comfortable than the CRJ.

I am hopeful that, unlike Midway, Indy finds a way to make the CRJ/Airbus operation work... I wish everyone there good luck.

Miles,
You need to get a clue. Yes, ACA hires 'recent college grads' to fly as FO. From there they get experience flying in the Northeast corridor. Over the years, they have flown Brasilas, Dash's, J32, and now CRJs, 328s and J41.

As for our captains, our most experienced captains have been with ACA for nearly 20 years. All this in the busy northeast corridor where IFR conditions, ice, T-storms and congestion are part of every day.

You mentioned safety record, so what's your airlines record. We have had one fatal accident in nearly 20 years. It was over 10 years ago.

ACA was a pioneer in implementing ACRM, AQP and ASAP, known as JSAP at ACA.

In case you don't recognize the acronyms. ACRM is Advanced Crew Resource Management, which involved implementing the principles of CRM into every aspect of training and operation. Checklist, procedures, training and checkrides are all conducted with CRM in mind.

AQP is the Advanced Qualification Program. It involves a more line oriented training program, which is preferred by the FAA. Checkrides, rather than being based on completed a procedure to a standard, are based on a line oriented flight where all aspects of the flight are evaluated.

Our newest safety program is JSAP. This involves self disclosure by pilots and mechanics of safety incidences. It is then reviewed by ACA, the FAA and ALPA. Specific recommendations are made by this joint board and are implemented to improve safety. These recommendations include re-training, changing procedures and other improvements that would not be possible if this information were not available.

Overall the safety level provided by ACA, soon to be Independence Air, is as good if not better than any of the majors. Of course, Southwest has a perfect record with regard to fatalities and they are a low cost carrier, aren't they.

aca,
Hell, I was a Marine pilot and had to regularly defend our less than stellar safety record. I completely agree with the facts as presented by you. What I quoted, however, was the perception from 9-10 very frequent travelling non-pilot friends who regularly travel from IAD. These are a few of your potential future high revenue customers. 3 of them are UA1Ks-100,000 butt-in-seat flyers per year.
While not a very empirical sampling, I was pretty surprised at the response. You will have to overcome, IMHO, the LCC mentality which includes a less than bountiful international FF rewards program.
The 'bus is a great aircraft. Good luck. BTW, will the pinky in the air be the official war sign? I guess whoever came up with that never saw "Porky's." :D

Latest resources

Back