• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good First Officers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
make sure when you do that though, you have the book right side up.

when my fo does that, I just ask him to pass me the sports section.

Mookie

Flechas said:
And who do you think is the jackass?

Do you know the old saying about the poker game? Every game has a chump. Look around the table, and if you don't know who the chump is, it's you.

I didn't ask who the chump was (I looked around and I sow him), I asked who do YOU think the chump is. Maybe you need to think before you post. I know you want to throw your jokes out there, but you have to waut for the right moment, that way they are funny.

Flechas said:
Ok Ty, so tell me what's so wrong with writting down the ATIS on a piece of paper and then showing the Captain, same with the clearance. As far as I'm concerned it is the same as listening to it together.
I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, but that doesn't mean is the only way to do it.

The only reason this dicussion started is because I asked you what you meant about listening to the ATIS together, because I had never heard of such practice, and you turned the whole thing into a pissing contest. I've jumpeated with Continental and NWA and never saw that either.

Just as a side note, this is prob. a throw over from 3 man cockpits. As the FE would usually get the the atis while enroute, as he wakes up back there, and determines he wasn't done his job yet.....He'd usually yawn and make a comment, getting the atis on #2/3 whatever. If at that time the capt or f/o were awake they were free to listen in if they chose to. F/E would then write it down on a piece of paper and throw it up front. Not sure how to explain it, but when the weather is down, hearing the ATIS or actually reading the D-Atis seems to bring the picture in a little better than reading someones chicken scratch of the pertinent items that were broadcast. Otherwise known as staying in the loop.....sorta like if everyone was on headsets but the guy flying. Guy flying isn't on a headset and doesn't have the speaker on, and relies on the person working the radios to transmit ATC instructions to him.

pianoman said:
Be with the program, speak up if you see something wrong, but don't be a pain in the a@@ that has to question every little decision the Cpt. makes if it ain't breaking a rule or going to kill you. In return, he'll probably let you fly the plane how you want as long as you aren't going to kill anyone. I would much rather fly with someone with a good attitude who is a little newer and makes a few small mistakes than a bitter, know-it-all pain in the ass.

And just be quiet sometimes. Shhh.

""There are four ways, and only four ways, in which we have contact with the world. We are evaluated and classified by these four contacts: what we do, how we look, what we say, and how we say it." - Dale Carnegie

I agree with being able to speak up about irregular/unsafe things. However, even if nothing is "wrong," the Captain's actions may be irregular and/or unfamiliar to the FO.

As a type rated FO who swaps legs (and seats) I am in a very priviledged position. Close to 2 years ago, when I first started flying jets, I asked a lot of questions to the senior pilots I flew with. Some pilots may misconstrue this genuine curiosity and yearn for new knowledge as "questioning my experience and judgement." Sometimes that sort of second guessing the more experienced pilot/captain does occur, but in my case, and possibly in other's, the FO simply asked "Why are you doing that, in that particular way?" simply because he/she wanted to better understand the captain's decision etc.

Sometimes there are better ways of doings things, or handy gouges for quick and accurate calculations, or maybe it's the most ideal technique for using the radar in the terminal area.

I think being Johnny-On-The-Spot as a SIC/FO shows you are actually interested in what you do and that the details (pre-flight preperation, paperwork et al) of flying are just as important to you as making smooth landings. I try to approach the job with a 'can-do' attitude, while at the same time not being the annoying "I'll do anything for you and I'll kiss your ass" FO.

Just remember safety is #1, be prepared and try to do things before the captain/pic asks them to be done. Just don't do it without advising him/her first. Communication is key to getting along in the cockpit, and I believe that if the PIC/SIC tell each other what it is they're doing, things will flow smoothly.

As for being a no-it-all, there's nothing wrong with being well versed in a particular subject, but there is no need to try and pound home a point just to make yourself feel important. So you went to ERAU, does the other guy really want to know or care that "at ERAU they taught us to do it this way cause blah blah blah, and the part number of that rivet is blah blah blah, oh and those types of clouds are this and that and BLAH BLAH BLAH, etc etc etc"
Don't push your knowledge onto others, because as Dale Carnegie wrote,

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

And don't overly criticize others with your opinion.

"Criticism of others is futile and if you indulge in it often you should be warned that it can be fatal to your career." - Dale Carnegie

westwind driver said:

I agree with being able to speak up about irregular/unsafe things. However, even if nothing is "wrong," the Captain's actions may be irregular and/or unfamiliar to the FO.

As a type rated FO who swaps legs (and seats) I am in a very priviledged position. Close to 2 years ago, when I first started flying jets, I asked a lot of questions to the senior pilots I flew with. Some pilots may misconstrue this genuine curiosity and yearn for new knowledge as "questioning my experience and judgement." Sometimes that sort of second guessing the more experienced pilot/captain does occur, but in my case, and possibly in other's, the FO simply asked "Why are you doing that, in that particular way?" simply because he/she wanted to better understand the captain's decision etc.

I think most captains can tell the difference between intellectual curiosity and a "Control Freak" FO. I have had the pleasure to fly with the former, and the misfortune of flying with the latter. The latter has his own agenda as how and when he expects things to be done (even if the captain is already complying with FARs, co. policy, etc.), and will ask endless "prompting" questions to try to get the captain to fly to the FOs expectations. Guys like this make for a long and tiring trip.

be prepared and try to do things before the captain/pic asks them to be done. Just don't do it without advising him/her first. Communication is key to getting along in the cockpit, and I believe that if the PIC/SIC tell each other what it is they're doing, things will flow smoothly.
Agreed. The FO should always try to get his own work done efficiently and in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, there are those who will take "initiative" to the extreme. I have had FOs put the flaps up and down without my asking because the felt it just HAD to be done THIS INSTANT. There are some FOs who try to set the pace of the entire operation (see my above comments).

Flying with a Type "A" is no fun. When I'm flying the airplane, I'll decide if I want to call the airport in sight, when I want to call traffic in sight, when I want to sidestep to the inboard runway, when I want any shortcuts, etc. If there is no safety concern, there is no need for prompting or discussion of these types of matters. Most people are on the same page with this, but there are those who will either make requests of ATC without getting my input, or (almost as bad) relentlessly prompt me to try to take every shortcut that they want.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just relax.

LAXSaabdude.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back