Good First Officers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 said:
What Ty is saying is that at AirTran, the required procedure per the manual is to listen to it together. If that's true, then listening and then briefing is not the proper way to do it at AirTran. Just do whatever the book says at your company. Pretty simple.

That's what I've been saying, but that's not good enough for him.

Flechas said:
It's not about being superior, maybe that's the way they learned and the way you learned. Our company culture is to write it down and then then brief it, which is just as good.

Flechas said:
Ok Ty, so tell me what's so wrong with writting down the ATIS on a piece of paper and then showing the Captain, same with the clearance. As far as I'm concerned it is the same as listening to it together.
I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, but that doesn't mean is the only way to do it.

The only reason this dicussion started is because I asked you what you meant about listening to the ATIS together, because I had never heard of such practice, and you turned the whole thing into a pissing contest. I've jumpeated with Continental and NWA and never saw that either.

Me personally, I brief the Captain on the ATIS and clearance for departure and approach. That is whether I got it via ACARS or COM2. Normally if the Captain heard it and understood it, then they'll tell me so and I can skip it. Just because I'm listening to ATIS or getting the clearance with the Captain in the cockpit, they could be distracted with other things. I can't just assume they heard it.

The example I gave above was "IF" I was flying with Ty, what I'd do based on his requests for ATIS and clearance courtesy.

FlyChicaga said:
Me personally, I brief the Captain on the ATIS and clearance for departure and approach. That is whether I got it via ACARS or COM2. Normally if the Captain heard it and understood it, then they'll tell me so and I can skip it. Just because I'm listening to ATIS or getting the clearance with the Captain in the cockpit, they could be distracted with other things. I can't just assume they heard it.

The example I gave above was "IF" I was flying with Ty, what I'd do based on his requests for ATIS and clearance courtesy.

Fair enough I guess. I do the same, I guess we all do the same.

I think we made a really big deal out of this.

Flechas said:
I think we made a really big deal out of this.

Par for the course! After all, this is the internet!! :D

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's only the clearance (not the ATIS) that's addressed in our FOM.

I think this horse has been beat to death.

It's not a matter of horse-beating . . . it's more a matter of jackass-slapping.

Problem is, everyone's got their own idea of who the jackass is that needs slapped.

Ty Webb said:
It's not a matter of horse-beating . . . it's more a matter of jackass-slapping.

Problem is, everyone's got their own idea of who the jackass is that needs slapped.

And who do you think is the jackass?

if your cpt is an ass, just pull out the manual and act limke your reading it periodically lokking at his side of the panel. every now and then put an unusual look on your face. then when he/she asks "what?", just say "Oh nothing." and go about your business. Some guys won't give a shhhh, but it'll freak some out and they'll really straightne up> good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back