Good First Officer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good FO

Probably most of the same traits it takes to be a good CFI. Honesty. Integrity. Maturity. Professionalism. Self-confidence. Modesty. Ability to get along well with people. Ability to communicate your ideas and thoughts effectively. Respect, but not necessarily awe, for authority. Ability to do what you're told to do the first time, but ability not to be afraid to clarify your orders and to question something that doesn't sound right. Respect for elders. Appreciation for efforts put in by subordinates.

Those are a few traits of a good FO.

Last edited:
"I'll take the chicken sir"
"The fat one is fine with me sir"
"Boy that was a heck of a cross wind on landing"

Related to me by a Retired TWA captain that was currently at EJA.

Does anyone have the full text of the poem that starts, "I am the co-pilot, I sit on the right . . . "? Would like to get a full copy of it. Don't remember the whole thing, but it ends with something like, " . . . and if, when landing, the Captain is rusty, I'm quick to pipe up with a "Gosh, but it's gusty" . . .

Maybe someone can help out.

Every captain I have ever flown with (except for the Iceman) has told me that I do a great job as an FO. Here are some of the things I have done.

I always look over the releases. Captains are human and may miss something (ie no weather for destination, notam about a runway being OTS, etc).

On my legs, I command items I want done as if I were the captain. If the captain does not agree with my actions, they will tell me (weather deviations, radar tilt, pax comfort issues regarding turbulence, etc.). As always, coordinate with the captain prior to any changes...you would want the same courtesy.

Be confident and decisive.

KNOW your EPs (don't laugh...you'd be surprised).

Know your aircraft systems better than you need to.

Speak up whenever you are uncomfortable.

Use your CLR checklist.

If something happens during a flight that you felt was unsafe, discuss the matter no matter how uncomfortable it may be.

Do not ever be rushed.

The things that make a good FO are also many of the things that make a good pilot in general. Knowing when and how to draw the line in the chain of command is the dance called "being an FO".

Also, if the captain ever pounds on a landing...casually mention..."Boy, did you feel that wind gust?"

A good "sparky" means different things to different folks. My opinion is this. Someone who is competent at their job and fun to work with. Lets take these one at a time.

-Good at job: Feed me information dude. The PF should be able to just sit there and stare at instruments. Get stuff done. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, we should never start the descent without the card completed. Keep the VORs tuned up to something, so that when Pa Kettle asks "what town izat?" we have an answer. Verbalize everything you do. Don't touch my navaids without teling me what you're about to do. Be assertive and keep me honest. Don't worry about my EGO. Don't worry about whether or not I like you. If we finish the day with no violations, alive and with happy customers, dude I like you. We fly a two-person jet. Do not turn it into a single pilot environment by trusting me. Mentally question everything I do and say. If it's not right speak up. If I miss a transmission that you heard and read back, don't become a solo pilot by telling me he said: "Cross 18 right and left, yankee route, .65 on top. Make him repeat it. It's your ticket too. DON'T SCARE ME! (ALTITUDE, AIRSPEED AND HEADING)

-Fun to work with: Do not try to sell me anything except your airplane. everything else is off-limits. Kwityerbichen. A little bit is OK, but save it for long-range cruise. Smack me if I violate this rule. Do not describe recent health problems. I really don't want to hear about your wife's irratable bowel syndrome. If we are on a long layover, do not feel that you have to eat every meal with me. I respect your desire to be alone, please respect mine. PLEASE OBSERVE STANDARD AMERICAN HYGIENE GUIDLINES. Deoderent is nice, and dude, you are not gonna wear that same shirt again in my cockpit.

The Copilot

I am the copilot, and I sit on the right,
Its up to me to be quick and bright,
I never talk back for I have no regrets,
But I have to remember what the Captain forgets.

I make out the flight plan and study the weather,
Pull up the gear and stand by to feather,
Make out the mail forms and do the reporting,
And fly the old crate while the Captain is courting.

I take the readings, adjust the power,
Put on the heaters when we're in a shower,
Tell him where we are on the darkest of night,
And do all the bookwork without any light.

I call for my captain and buy him cokes,
I always laugh at his corny jokes,
And once in a while when his landings are rusty,
I always come thru with "by gosh it's gusty!"

All in all, I'm a general stooge,
As I sit on the right of the man I call "Scrooge",
I guess you think that its past understanding,
But maybe someday he will give me a landing.

Great

LJDRVR said:
A good "sparky" means different things to different folks. My opinion is this. Someone who is competent at their job and fun to work with. Lets take these one at a time.

-Good at job: Feed me information dude. The PF should be able to just sit there and stare at instruments. Get stuff done. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, we should never start the descent without the card completed. Keep the VORs tuned up to something, so that when Pa Kettle asks "what town izat?" we have an answer. Verbalize everything you do. Don't touch my navaids without teling me what you're about to do. Be assertive and keep me honest. Don't worry about my EGO. Don't worry about whether or not I like you. If we finish the day with no violations, alive and with happy customers, dude I like you. We fly a two-person jet. Do not turn it into a single pilot environment by trusting me. Mentally question everything I do and say. If it's not right speak up. If I miss a transmission that you heard and read back, don't become a solo pilot by telling me he said: "Cross 18 right and left, yankee route, .65 on top. Make him repeat it. It's your ticket too. DON'T SCARE ME! (ALTITUDE, AIRSPEED AND HEADING)

-Fun to work with: Do not try to sell me anything except your airplane. everything else is off-limits. Kwityerbichen. A little bit is OK, but save it for long-range cruise. Smack me if I violate this rule. Do not describe recent health problems. I really don't want to hear about your wife's irratable bowel syndrome. If we are on a long layover, do not feel that you have to eat every meal with me. I respect your desire to be alone, please respect mine. PLEASE OBSERVE STANDARD AMERICAN HYGIENE GUIDLINES. Deoderent is nice, and dude, you are not gonna wear that same shirt again in my cockpit.

Right On, the way it SHOULD be!

Latest resources

Back