Good CRJ preflights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

anon

It's important to be safe during periods if stress and when being pushed for time.

What are some of the things often missed on safe and complete preflights on the CRJ?

How about all of those unexplained fluid streaks on the aft fuselage. Is there an oil or hydraulic leak somewhere?

any damage to the main pax door seal area, usually caused by closing door without red strap attached

ground straps:
main pax door - under top step on right side
all access panels
all gear door panels
under spoilers and spoilerons
ailerons and flaps

any holes in radome clear adhesive cover

hairline cracks in main pax door hinge

aileron and flap seals

caulking required around outside of nav light housing

chain that holds gas cap on

any dings or significant scratches on leading edge

any dings or scratches on fan blades

Placards that are commonly missing or damaged:
oxy door
nose gear door
adg door

Any cut in tires. Don't be a mechanic and dig into the cut to try and find chord, that is not your job. Have a mechanic sign off on it even if you're at an outstation.

Oil splatter on FDR, viewable from vents at very rear behind aft equip bay door.

Cockpit:
2 replacement fuses behind FO are always broken/missing.

visible moisture coming from air vents means the "socks" that filter the air are old and moldy. If captain says anything otherwise tell him you refuse to breath moldy air all day and you're writing it up whether he likes it or not. This is not a joke, ask the mechanics to show you the sock and you'll know what I mean

all cockpit lights must work

yoke writing pad angle adjustment is always busted.

don't fly with 7 year old seats that are so uncomfortable you need a chiropractor after a day of flying

any and all unusual status and caution messages on the taxi out. You should NOT feel comfortable with your captain pulling out his dandy magic circuit breaker list. It is not his job nor yours to pull circuit breakers unless directed to do so by mx or emergency.

NOSE WHEEL SHIMMY ON TAKEOFF!
I had one shimmy once, wrote it up and found that it had not been installed correctly.

It is also extremely important to understand that a discrepancy is a discrepancy whether you find it at C23 or at an outstation. Do not wait until "we get back to atl" to have something checked out. That is why we have outsourced mx at outstations.

Besides safety, another good reason to follow this rule is that it has happened numerous times where the FO will do the walkaround, only to have a fed preflight after the FO and find things wrong.

It is not worth the risk, and our company has acknowledged and reinforced that strongly by the latest bulletins stating that ALL discrepancies MUST be written up.

Last edited:
The BATT ON and PARK BRAKE ON lights on the Exterior Services Panel aren't MELable...but I'd guess most airlines carry spare bulbs in the airplane.

Found that out one day and we weren't even trying to find stuff to write up..

Last edited:
What do we need to do so I can start doing it?!? I want to do what I'm suppossed to do, but I don't know what to do so I cant do it!

Checl it out!

Nosewheel steering placard....
Pitch disc handle placard "pull and turn"
Grounding strap on nosewheel doors

Here is the king daddy of them all:

The static strips on the radome....
Those strips are made up of little metal discs......if one is missing, the plane is done..... Tolerance is zero-I repeat-ZERO.

These things are held in place by epoxy, but if you can feel that the epoxy is missing out of the channel on the side of these strips, there is an excellent chance that some of these discs are missing!.... Non MEL-able- Non CDL-able-Plane is done!

-This is VERY COMMON-seek and ye shall find!

any damage to the main pax door seal area, usually caused by closing door without red strap attached

ground straps:
main pax door - under top step on right side
all access panels
all gear door panels
under spoilers and spoilerons
ailerons and flaps

any holes in radome clear adhesive cover

hairline cracks in main pax door hinge

aileron and flap seals

caulking required around outside of nav light housing

chain that holds gas cap on

any dings or significant scratches on leading edge

any dings or scratches on fan blades

Placards that are commonly missing or damaged:
oxy door
nose gear door
adg door

Any cut in tires. Don't be a mechanic and dig into the cut to try and find chord, that is not your job. Have a mechanic sign off on it even if you're at an outstation.

Oil splatter on FDR, viewable from vents at very rear behind aft equip bay door.

Cockpit:
2 replacement fuses behind FO are always broken/missing.

visible moisture coming from air vents means the "socks" that filter the air are old and moldy. If captain says anything otherwise tell him you refuse to breath moldy air all day and you're writing it up whether he likes it or not. This is not a joke, ask the mechanics to show you the sock and you'll know what I mean

all cockpit lights must work

yoke writing pad angle adjustment is always busted.

don't fly with 7 year old seats that are so uncomfortable you need a chiropractor after a day of flying

any and all unusual status and caution messages on the taxi out. You should NOT feel comfortable with your captain pulling out his dandy magic circuit breaker list. It is not his job nor yours to pull circuit breakers unless directed to do so by mx or emergency.

NOSE WHEEL SHIMMY ON TAKEOFF!
I had one shimmy once, wrote it up and found that it had not been installed correctly.

It is also extremely important to understand that a discrepancy is a discrepancy whether you find it at C23 or at an outstation. Do not wait until "we get back to atl" to have something checked out. That is why we have outsourced mx at outstations.

Besides safety, another good reason to follow this rule is that it has happened numerous times where the FO will do the walkaround, only to have a fed preflight after the FO and find things wrong.

It is not worth the risk, and our company has acknowledged and reinforced that strongly by the latest bulletins stating that ALL discrepancies MUST be written up.

Stu, I thought you got out of 200 training? Don't forget the pen holders. :laugh:

The "L" seals (caulking) that runs vertically up the leading edge of the wing is always missing. Only certain zones can have excessive "L" seals missing. Consult your CDL for a better explanation than I can give here.

Plastic aileron to wing seal is always cracked and separating from the aileron. If moisture got in there and froze at altitude it could possible break off in flight- what if it jammed the aileron???

Hmmmm, still looking for other thourough walk around items...........

Latest resources

Back