• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Community College Pilot Programs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Try Western Oklahoma State College in Altus, OK. Went there in the yearly '90's. The aircarft were very inexpensive and the instructon was top notch.

That is of course if you can stand to live in Altus! Some of the Mil guys know what I'm talking about. Good luck.

One more . . .

Despite the Kit Darby-style pilot shortage pablum on its webpage, Metropolitan State College of Denver has a decent aviation program. I flew with one of its graduates, who was a good pilot. I knew one of its instructors, an extremely fine gentleman who was a retired United captain and one of my father's college roommates. I have heard that Metro has internship programs with United.

Pilotyip not anti-college

To continue the discussion of the merits of the college degree. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. However this is not an engineering forum, this is an aviation forum. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with UPS, then that prospective pilot should go to college, however disappointment may follow. Air Inc advertises that 166 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now, I only see five that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the "College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 161 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

Inver Hills Community College had an excellent aviation program, I don't know if they still do, I think they still have the program. It's in the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I graduated with a guy at Saint Cloud State who did Inver Hills his first two years and then transfered to get his four year, it seemed to work out for him. I don't know how the credits would transfer to UND, they seem to be particular that you get your ratings at their school. Transfering credits to other schools? I don't know how that would work, every school has their own rules. Check into credit transfer rules before committing to any community college. It's been awhile since college (87), so things might have changed a bit since then. Good luck.

"I don't wanna go to college, waa, waa, waa . . . . . "

pilotyip said:
I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry . . . . I only see five that make the degree a showstopper . . . . If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them . . . .
(emphasis added)

College material or not, it d@mn well better be important to them if they want to qualify for every job available. In other words, college material or not, he/she better grow up, get real, pick himself/herself up by the bootstraps, go to college, and be competitive with his/her peers.

You assume, Yip, that without credentials these folks can still get these great-paying jobs. There are always exceptions, but arguing exception is impractical and misleading. I submit that you assume falsely, and, in so doing, are giving misleading advice.

So what are you saying Bobby?

Most go to college, instruct for 1000 hours, get hired by a regional, work there 5 years, make Capt. Then if hiring is going on get picked up by UPS or Fedex, the only ones who need college degrees. Since the majority of pilots follow this career track, it is the career track that everyone must follow to have the highest percentage of success. Is that what you are saying?

But I'll kick your butt at chess...

pilotyip said:
Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry.
This insolent CFI believes that college has everything to do with mastering flying an airplane, the foremost reason being the critical thinking and problem solving capabilities that are gained as an integral part of any degree program. Honestly, those skills have proven invaluable. Forget pay, forget flying big jets. The capacity to understand, strategize, formulate, and just plain old think are the things that I value the most from my college experience.

It makes me think about the girl I am currently seeing. She has not been to any college yet, but she displays an enormous knack for thinking clearly--she is very intelligent. If those skills were refined at college, she'd be virtually unstoppable. Fortunately, I do not have to prod her to to go; she is bright enough to see the virtues on her own.

pilotyip said:
If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary.... But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane.
I'd be happy with even less. Heck, if I could buy a house on CFI pay, I'd just stick with instructing! This was never about prestige or making the big bucks. But because I have a degree, I have access to almost any opportunity I should want to pursue, including graduate studies. And because I have a degree, I have the advantage over anyone without a degree but with similar piloting qualifications should they happen to desire the same job that I do.

-Goose

Last edited:
It's not about whether the degree is needed or not. It's all about competition. If everyone you are competing against for a job has a four year college degree, then you better have a college degree if you don't want to be skipped. A college degree doesn't show how smart or dumb you are - it shows persistence and perserverance that you started something and completed it showing responsibility.

Degree v. not, again

pilotyip said:
Most go to college, instruct for 1000 hours, get hired by a regional, work there 5 years, make Capt. Then if hiring is going on get picked up by UPS or Fedex, the only ones who need college degrees. Since the majority of pilots follow this career track, it is the career track that everyone must follow to have the highest percentage of success. Is that what you are saying?
I'll come to the point, again. Whatever it takes to compete. If it means putting off flying to bite the bullet and go to college, then so be it. You continue to avoid the point about needing credentials to get jobs that lead to "TJ PIC" time. Do you think that these jobs are doled out to just anyone?

Goose Egg's and Wakefield's posts following yours, above, set forth the point well. I agree that anything that can hone your mind and thought processes, such as college, can only make you a better pilot, that it is the competition that sets the bar on qualifications, and, whether or not you want to go to college to be competitive, the need trumps the want every time.

I covered these very same points in last month's debate on the issue, which I incorporate by reference as if fully set forth herein. For that matter, I also incorporate this debate as if fully set forth herein.

Last edited:
Bobby, college only way to hone mind?

"I agree that anything that can hone your mind and thought processes, such as college, can only make you a better pilot.."

Ok so the WWII and Vietnam pilots were not as good as pilots as those who go to college today, is that what you are saying?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back