• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Community College Pilot Programs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi, check out Broward community college.Delta Connection academy is the training provider. The flight costs are a little cheaper than at the main base in Orlando. there is a lot to say about DCA, though. So make sure you do a search.
bye

How about this for a wild idea?

I wrote this at the end of a post above and am repeating it so it will stand alone.

The debate never stops on aviation degree v. non-aviation degrees. So, how about this idea?

Go to a two-year school, earn an A.S. in Aviation and your ratings. Then, transfer to a four-year school and earn a Bachelor's in something else. That way, all bases will be covered and everyone will be happy.

No guarantees, of course, on how many aviation credits will transfer. Flight instructing part-time can earn a few bucks, hours and can generate contacts.

I still like a four-year aviation degree and would still submit that a non-aviation degree without actual experience in the field diminishes its value as a fallback plan. However, just consider what I am suggesting.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Go to a two-year school, earn an A.S. in Aviation and your ratings. Then, transfer to a four-year school and earn a Bachelor's in something else. That way, all bases will be covered and everyone will be happy.
Well, everyone except Yip anyway.

-Goose

I won't be unhappy

I really do not care if a pilot does a four-year degree or not, it is an individual choice. It is not for everyone and it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. My point is if you like to fly airplanes, fly airplanes. You will be successful. Without a college degree $100K in 10-12 years out of high school is doable. I see it happen too often. The individual defines success and not what the majority thinks is politically correct definition of success. Spend 2 years at a CC, get your certs and start flying. This is a viable career option, but it still falls in the non- 4-yr degree program.

I have and will always suggest the San Juan College /Mesa Airlines Pilot Development Program (MAPD) to those who ask me for career advice and input. No other community college or program is tailored to take a zero hour pilot and place them in the right seat of a CRJ, ERJ, or Dash8 in 19 short months and at relatively low time (270-300 hours). The college/program is pretty hard to beat in my opinion, you are trained the airline way from day 1. Those who are so overly concerned about continuing on afterwards can finish up the 4 year degree through a correspondence course that can be done online while you are currently flying.

Mesa is not a career airline but it is a good way to get your foot in the door to allow you the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things.

One must ask a few questions when looking at a college and program that may or may not be tied in with an airline.>

1) Placement rates?

2) Success rates among current and former students?.

3) Where are they now?.

4) Do the positives outweigh the negatives?.

5) Do any other similar programs compare to this one?.

good luck,

3 5 0

pilotyip said:
I really do not care if a pilot does a four-year degree or not, it is an individual choice. It is not for everyone and it has nothing to do with flying an airplane.
Not true. Here again, Yip, anything that can hone thought processes, such as studying, learning, thinking and analyzing, has everything to do with being a better pilot. Good study skills have everything to do with getting through company ground school. Getting through college fosters development of good study skills.
My point is if you like to fly airplanes, fly airplanes. You will be successful. Without a college degree $100K in 10-12 years out of high school is doable. I see it happen too often.
The "too often" is baloney. Your claim of $100K success with no need for college sounds like flight school and afternoon TV career school hype. It is misleading, and not realistic without credentials to support it.

Define "often." Your only example has been the 20-year-old you hired who lucked into a Metro job beforehand. Others get these jobs, but not at 20-years-old and only after building sizeable credentials.
Spend 2 years at a CC, get your certs and start flying. This is a viable career option, but it still falls in the non- 4-yr degree program.
It may not fall into the four-year-degree program, but it is still not high school only, and the four-year-degree still will be needed, eventually.

Last edited:
Try Texas State Technical College! I went there and got all my ratings there in 2 years and recieved a Associates degree. upon recieving my cfi i was hired and began working there as a CFI. Private through CFI in 2 years then recieved my CFII and MEI Part 61 after i started working. YOu get a discount on aircraft 20% and free sim and one one free hour of Twin time a month which always works out to 2 free hours when you go up with another CFI.

www.theflightcollege.com

Bobby Oh! yea of little faith

The "too often" is baloney. Your claim of $100K success with no need for college sounds like flight school and afternoon TV career school hype. It is misleading, and not realistic without credentials to support it.

According to Webster’s "Often" means many, what defines many? Is three at a small company many?
I will PM you with the details.

Try Iowa Central Community College in Webster City, Iowa. Or Northern Iowa Area Community College in NW Iowa and Indian Hills in SE Iowa.

Lots of students go to University of Nebraska at Omaha for a 4 year aviation degree too. If you are related to anyone in the military, you can fly and get credits through the Aero Club at Offutt Air Force Base just south of Omaha. It's incredibly cheap there. $155/hr for a BE-55 Baron wet.

Arguing exception

pilotyip said:
According to Webster’s "Often" means many, what defines many? Is three at a small company many?
Define "small." But, three in the broader scope of thousands of pilots, employed and unemployed, qualified and unqualified, college educated or not, is not many at all. These people are the exception, not the rule.

There are always exceptions. Rugged individualists who defy the rules. However, when considering the intense competition for pilot jobs, the odds are better if one is the rule instead of the exception. Therefore, smart, practical, pragmatic and realistic people go with the percentages.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back