Good Bye UPS DC8s.......article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 2:42pm EDT | Modified: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 9:37am Business First of Louisville

Final UPS DC-8 flight lands at Louisville International Airport

The final Boeing DC-8 aircraft flight operated by UPS Airlines touched down Tuesday morning at SDF.

The plane received a water cannon tribute as it rolled down the runway.
UPS Airlines, the Louisville-based division of Atlanta-based shipping giant (NYSE: UPS), last month made the decision to retire its fleet of 44 DC-8s as part of a cost-cutting initiative.
The DC-8 largely has become a model of the past as airlines shift to larger, more efficient aircraft. Of the 556 originally produced, only 97 remain in service following the retirement of UPS’s fleet, the company said in a fact sheet.
UPS Airlines sought to eliminate excess capacity from its system as demand for air cargo shipping has declined through the global recession.
UPS flies into more than 800 airports in 200 countries each day. The company now operates about 220 planes and charters an additional 309 planes, according to a separate UPS fact sheet.
UPS once owned 49 DC-8 aircraft, but sold five over the years. The first UPS Airlines DC-8 flight, from Louisville to Milwaukee, occurred on Feb. 1, 1988.
The company now will sell the planes, or disassemble them for spare parts and scrap metal.

Wow, I really loved watching those planes. I thought Networ-King was going to be an FE on one of them too. Darn! Good bye old birds.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Its a sad day/ I loved flying the DC-8 and will miss seeing them. I guess its ATI now besides some smaller operators.

Its a sad day/ I loved flying the DC-8 and will miss seeing them. I guess its ATI now besides some smaller operators.
Yep. ATI has 16 according to that other site while we only have eight (-73's). At least till the end of the year, we're using them for what they were intended for. Long haul to other continents stuff. :)

Until we're replaced by a 767ER that is. :(

Boeing DC-8, is that something like Boeing F-15

Wow, I really loved watching those planes. I thought Networ-King was going to be an FE on one of them too. Darn! Good bye old birds.

Bye Bye--General Lee[/QUOTE]

You are a tool and will always be a tool. Must be painful to know that one of your old alpo brothers that you f&^ks stabbed in the back, by picking up endless amount of opentime, is working way less than you and making a sh!t load more money also. <sigh> It's alright general... enjoy fluffing those pax on your all nighter crossings to africa.....and remember... when you're in africa make sure to drink the water and no condoms champ ;).

Net

ps. As for the DC 8's? Good f*&king riddance to that POS..... got rid of the herpes and ripped the bandaid off quick rather than painfully slow.

You are a tool and will always be a tool. Must be painful to know that one of your old alpo brothers that you f&^ks stabbed in the back, by picking up endless amount of opentime, is working way less than you and making a sh!t load more money also. <sigh> It's alright general... enjoy fluffing those pax on your all nighter crossings to africa.....and remember... when you're in africa make sure to drink the water and no condoms champ ;).

Try an anger managment class

ps. As for the DC 8's? Good f*&king riddance to that POS..... got rid of the herpes and ripped the bandaid off quick rather than painfully slow.

Despite all the other crap you've spewed in this thread, participants notwithstanding, that statement quoted above is absolutely ridiculous. I don't generally flame anyone except in person where they can defend themselves like a man, but calling the DC-8 a POS should result in some Turkish jail time.

I am with B 707guy as I try not to flame without being in person. I will simply excuse your ignorance since you have never flown the DC-8 from the looks of your profile. Boeing builds a fine product from what I have heard but how many 40+ year old boeings do you see still making revenue everyday. The DC-8 is a real pilots airplane and you have to be more than a typist to fly it.

[/QUOTE]
ps. As for the DC 8's? Good f*&king riddance to that POS..... got rid of the herpes and ripped the bandaid off quick rather than painfully slow.[/QUOTE]

What a tool....

Latest resources

Back