• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good Bye UPS DC8s.......article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ps. As for the DC 8's? Good f*&king riddance to that POS..... got rid of the herpes and ripped the bandaid off quick rather than painfully slow.[/QUOTE said:
Now that is a bitter, small mAN, who misses his double breasted uniform....

Despite all the other crap you've spewed in this thread, participants notwithstanding, that statement quoted above is absolutely ridiculous. I don't generally flame anyone except in person where they can defend themselves like a man, but calling the DC-8 a POS should result in some Turkish jail time.

Why waste a perfectly good Turkish jail? I'm sure you could find some surplus, Soviet era, AK rounds.

I am with B 707guy as I try not to flame without being in person. I will simply excuse your ignorance since you have never flown the DC-8 from the looks of your profile. Boeing builds a fine product from what I have heard but how many 40+ year old boeings do you see still making revenue everyday. The DC-8 is a real pilots airplane and you have to be more than a typist to fly it.

Well....

You guys definitely have the right to your opinions about the DC 8 and so do I. I commuted for a full year on that POS and I still stand with what I think about the airplane. All the pilots that flew that airplane even said that you either love the airplane or you hate it.... there is no in between. I've flown plenty of planes out there and boeing, airbus, and douglas make good products, but to me that DC 8 is not one of them.... What freaking airplane that size doesn't have an APU? Really? As for airplanes that old still flying around? Well... the hansa jet was still flying until a couple of years ago and that thing was a big POS, but just because it was still being limped along, flying around doesn't mean it was a good airplane. And for the comment of being in person..... easy there tough guy.... I'll look you in the eyes and still tell you that the DC 8 is a POS in my opinion. And if you think I'm speweing crap about other thing on here then feel free to use the igone function..... if you need help spelling my name it's n e t w o r- k i n g.

Net

Well....

I commuted for a full year on that POS and I still stand with what I think about the airplane.

Net

WOW! COMMUTED on the DC-8. Well lord knows THAT makes you the oracle of the '8!

Looks like they wasted a perfectly good little old lady when they put balls on someone who makes a post like that.

sheeeesh ...

WOW! COMMUTED on the DC-8. Well lord knows THAT makes you the oracle of the '8!

Looks like they wasted a perfectly good little old lady when they put balls on someone who makes a post like that.

sheeeesh ...

Drop Rise...... Drop Rise....Drop Rise........

Enjoy your beloved DC 8 fellas. I'm just glad the 78 year old PFE along with the other 40 PFE's on the property are finally retiring.

Net

I commuted for a full year on that POS and I still stand with what I think about the airplane.....

....What freaking airplane that size doesn't have an APU?

Oh, OK, that puts it all in perspective. I got to climb around in a BA Concorde once. What garbage! Can't believe anyone ever rode or flew that junk!:rolleyes:

Airplanes like this that don't have APUs don't have them because the operators decided against them. Not because Mr. Douglas thought they were a bad idea.

At least most of those who have decided they don't like the DC-8 handed it their lunch money AFTER flying it.

A couple of points regarding the lack of an APU.

1. How many small jet engines suitable for an APU are you aware of in the late 50's and early 60's.

2. The DC-8 did not use bleed air for cooling or pressurization Ground AC was accomplished with electric motors driving freon compressors. Pressurization was Turbine compressors driven by bleed air drawing fresh air in and compressing it into the cabin. A similar system to the DC-6 and 7.

3. Bleed air was used to start the engines only and Douglas had an option of nitrogen stored in an upper chamber of the right main to be used to start #3 and cross bleed from there.

Its helps to understand the times and the systems to know why no APU. As for eye to eye Newtor King its more a thing of respect to flame in person then if there is a verbal or physical response either way can be accommodated. No tough guy here but honorable enough to give the other side of a discussion the option. Realized as a young man I enjoyed the physical too much for a long career in Law Enforcement which is how I ended up in Aviation.

Whoops - thanks for the history refresher, MD! A number of our jets had APUs at one time (most recently, the -72s - I believe there was actually a certification problem with their APUs when we picked them up), but all were either removed by us or by previous owners. Part of the rationale was that these planes would be operated primarily out of well-equipped fields, to go with the things you mentioned, so no need for an APU. Same was true of 707s. :beer:

PS: "Newtor King". Funny!

Last edited:
I am not sure but I believe all 8's with an APU were non Douglas installed. I knew of one that ATI had that at one time flew on the Ford contract they had but it was after market as well. The NASI packs and winnebago coolers were all after market for freighters. The one thing I do not miss about the 8 is flying it around South America in the summer time. It was an honest airplane that if maintained properly could out perform jets produced 30 years later. Boeing has wanted the 8 to go away for many years because it has held up sales of 757's and 767's for years. Boeing has supported all of Douglas products the very least they had too and will kill them all eventually with their lack of support.

Latest resources

Back