• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Pilots that wear Cowboy Boots"

"Punching the Clown"

"See No Evil" by Robert Baehr

"Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick

"Female pilots and their smelly habits"

Anyone read Without Remorse by Tom Clancy? I'm not a huge fan of Clancy, but this one was different. Awesome revenge story!

This book was rad!! One of his best.

Also try Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer. Interesting read for you Skywesters.

The High and The Mighty - Earnest Gann

I read that book in one day.

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Also second (or third or whatever) Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Thick books, not for the faint of heart, but worth your trouble.

Also try Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer. Interesting read for you Skywesters.
I've been reading that one off and on over the last week or so (been super busy). Very interesting, yet disturbing stuff. I love to sit it out on my desk in the office...just to see the reactionary faces of a few. :)

Anyone read Without Remorse by Tom Clancy? I'm not a huge fan of Clancy, but this one was different. Awesome revenge story!
Rainbow Six is still, by far, my all-time favorite Clancy book (Teeth of the Tiger was a pretty good follow-up.). They were set to make a movie of Six, was even greenlit...then, of course, 9/11 happened (I would love to see them try to make one of Debt of Honor with that ending).

Last edited:
Clancy can delve a little too deep into the minutia (sp?) but this was a good exception. +1 for Without Remorse.

Flyboys - James Bradley
A true story about 8 American pilots captured during WWII

It's an interesting read for anybody. Why the jab? Surely you know Skywesters aren't all wacko fundamentalist Mormons? (contrary to what you might read here) :rolleyes:

- The Origin of Virtue by Matt Ridley
- Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber by Mark Twight
- Touching the Void by Joe Simpson
- The End of Faith by Sam Harris

I got into Clancy several years ago and read a bunch of them in sequence.

Two of my favorites (after the aforementioned Without Remorse, which was excellent) were:
The Bear and The Dragon
Debt of Honor

These 2 seemed to represent a perfect blend of Clancy elements: global political policy and it's aftermath, war, military technology, espionage and character issues.

They were great.

They were also a pretty amazing foretelling of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, though with the perpetrator being a single operative working alone...rather than a network of muslim terrorists.

I liked the one about the Syrians building a nuclear weapon too: The Sum of All Fears

Might be time to re-read that one so I can better appreciate it when it's inevitably played out on the nightly news.

History:
"Guns, Germs, Steel," by Jared Diamond.
"Longitude," A shorty but goody about the development of the chronometer for navigation.

Science/History:
"Science as a Candle in the Dark," and "Billions and Billions," by Sagan.
"How They Built the Atomic Bomb," A long but thorough read about early 20th century physics and physicists.
The new biography of Einstein is supposed to be pretty good.

Wit:
Anything by Sedaris.

And "Freakanomics."

Can't go wrong with I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell though.

Actually...you can.

I am about 9 chapters into it after reading all the rave reviews here amongst you morons.

So, when invited to a Halloween costume party with 'villains' as the theme...I foolishly decided I could go as the dastardly, evil, debauched Tucker Max himself.

Dangerous hilarity ensued.

I'm scared to try it again though. Good luck if you think you're up for it.

Latest resources

Back