Good book for deadheading / reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surviving The Extremes - Kenneth Kamler

He's a physician who travels the world as a team physician on some extreme treks... he writes about what happens physiologically on the human body at extremes.

It's fascinating. He narrates with stories of people who were stuck in some pretty dire straits and survived, and some who perished. Getting stranded in the desert, lost at sea, etc.

His own stories of being a team physician are interesting, too. He was the only doctor on Mt. Everest when Jon Krakauer and his team had the tragedy... Jon Krakauer wrote Into Thin Air.

I thought it was a great read.

Check out stuff by Andy McNab. He has two non-fiction books about his time in the British SAS ("Bravo Two Zero" is great, a mission gone wrong story from Iraq War I) and a series of awesome fiction books about a character named Nick Stone, who is sort of like James bond with more blood and swearing.

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Two-zer...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226105893&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contro...r_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226105924&sr=1-10

And you cant go wrong with "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden. I also think Dan Brown's (The Da Vinci Code guy) stuff is good

If you like history, "Undaunted Courage" by Ambrose is good. It's about the Lewis and Clark expedition. Starts off a bit dry but very detailed and interesting.

"Adrift" is also good. It's a true story about a guy who spent a couple months in a lift raft in the Atlantic after his boat sank.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back