• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Good book for deadheading / reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When your done with all of those read The Stand, one of Stephen King's better novels.

In order of merit, these all time greats should not be read if you have a check-ride pending. You wont be able to put them down.

"Stalingrad" Anthony Beaver

fv

Correct spelling of author is "Antony Beevor".

I'm not nit-picking . . this is an excellent book that every student of the eastern front of WWII shouldn't miss. . . .

+1 for Atlas Shrugged. It's (increasingly) a 'must read' for people who want to understand the world we presently live in.

'The Fountainhead' is also really worth your time.

I'm listening to 'Pillars of the Earth' audiobook now, it's terrific!

'
Revolution: A Manifesto' - Ron Paul
'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' - Robert Heinlein
'1984' -George Orwell
'Unintended Consequences' -John Ross (excellent novel telling the story of America's 'gun culture')
'The Making of the Atomic Bomb' -Richard Rhodes (definitive history text of the Manhattan Project)

North star over my shoulder, Bob Buck (TWA ret) capt reflects back on his start and contributions to aviation. Pretty impressive and doesnt require much thinking.

:puke:

Bob Buck's memoir was the most self-aggrandizing, vain, conceited, pompous, self-absorbed, self-important garbage I have ever tried to read.

I got a third of the way through it and threw it down in disgust at his utter lack of humility.

Ernie Gann has the genre of 'early days of airline industry' completely covered.

Bob Buck would do well to stick to writing about the weather.

Dont stop the Carnival, or Theres a hole in texas by Herwman Wouk

Any book by Jim Buffet
any book by David Mcoullough

Brief history of time or Black holes and baby universes by Stephen Hawking

and Lone Survivor is almost impossible to put down once they get out of the helicopter, tough to imagine any better narrative of a firefight.

A standing ovation!!!

Most informative post ever on Flight Info.

Just so I can be a part of it, if you like fiction:

The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Yes, the movie was based on this book. I like the movie but love the book! I couldn't put it down even though I knew how it ended.

Gangster by Lorenzo Carcaterra. It's as good as The Godfather if you like this genre.

If you're as much of a geek as I am when it comes to reading try some American classics.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. This one is short and can be finished in one boring day of hot spare.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'm on my way to Barnes and Noble.

Last edited:
Generaton Kill - Evan Wright

One Bullet Away - Nathaniel Fick

Into Thin Air - John Krakauer

Into The Wild - John Krakauer

Eiger Dreams - Joh Krakauer

Touching the Void - Joe Simpson (Anything by Simpson is good, this one will hurt you)

The White Spider - Heinrich Harrer (a classic, but it's a history, you have to be crazy about climbing

Fate is the Hunter - Ernest Gann (anything by Gann!)

Hard Landing - Thomas Petzinger

North star over my shoulder -Bob Buck

Flight of Passage - Rinker Buck, no relation

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer - Nathaniel C. Fick

Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege - Antony Beevor

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason

Assault In Norway: Sabotaging the Nazi Nuclear Program - Thomas Gallagher

We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance - David Howarth

The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer (I've been reading military books all my life and this one finally made me get it, the agony, drudgery, the psychological damage, mostly through what was left unsaid.)

Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross - Albrecht Wacker (Much more digestible look at the Eastern Front)

Adak: The Rescue of Alfa Foxtrot 586 - Andrew C. A. Jampoler (P-3 wreck and rescue)

First Light - Geoffrey Wellum (Fantastic essence of the the Battle of Britain)

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

'1984' - George Orwell

Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven

The Long Walk - Slavomir Rawicz

Last edited:
'To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth' - Col. Jeff Cooper

'Molon Labe' - Boston T. Party

The Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice (the first 3 books are great...then it sort of goes downhill)

This is fun!

Anything by James Webb D (VA), "Fields fo fire", "A country such as this", and "A time to fight" to name a few.

Anyone read Without Remorse by Tom Clancy? I'm not a huge fan of Clancy, but this one was different. Awesome revenge story!

Latest resources

Back