• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GoJet strikes a wingtip on landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wow Capt only had 200 hours in the plane. The FO had around 800.

Winds were gusting to 40... maybe the FO should have taken that one? What do you think.

By the way very smart of the Captain to go idle at around 300-200 feet and place both hands on the yoke cuz she was a bit high on the speed. If you do that on the jet your probably going to end up on an ntsb report.

Chautauqua dragged a wingtip on a CRJ in Houston a few years back. And yes, it did happen to be a lady pilot, not that there is anything wrong with that, just a fact.

I never flew the bigger CRJ's but I do remember the 200 being a little sketchy on the runway. Sensitive to crosswinds, even more so to incorrect crosswind correction. With the wing down so close to the ground, way deep down into ground effect, and with the narrow track of the main wheels, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

OMG with the female bashing. Can any of you guys say that you've put blood into your seat? Nope! I don't know what screams dedication more than a bloody seat. GoJet females are among the most dedicated Delta and United pilots in the industry.

Here's a nice briefing from Airbus on their recommended technique...wings-level ie crabbed approach. This document shows both techniques and discusses the geometry limits of certain designs and how that relates to the strength of the crosswind. Good read.

http://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/179.pdf

Data,

This is flightinfo, which counterintuitively is no place for information about operation of aircraft.

Naturally, Airbus recommends a wing-level, crabbed approach. Applying moderate rudder pressure will result in complete separation of the vertical stabilizer on their products.

Latest resources

Back