Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bankangle said:
100LL...Again...

A cohort of mine is starting class there. He is a furloughed and got the blessing from his Union to work there. If there is alot of furloughed 121 guys going there I would be carefull of threating any list.. It could back fire on you for these guys will be back at the Big Show before any TSA guys will, also they have been in this small world business alot longer.

First of all, I can't imagine any union giving anyone any blessings for going to an alter ego such as GoJet and Freedom. Second, it is not just the TSA guys who are going to experience the side affects from what will be the underbidder galore of the industry. Third, don't kid yourself, at this rate these righteous 121 bigshots are not going to have any Big Shows to go back to. It'll be a minimum wage regional industry before not too long.

As for Mr. 100 LL, I shouldn't have to pay for somebody's choice to go to an airline that unfortunately furloughed him/her. I'm assumimg you've been furloughed in the past. I have, it sucks. But trying to step on other people for personal advancement just adds fuel to the fire. It is attitudes such as these, that corporate people like J.O. are counting on to spread their poison. If you need a job to pay the bills until you're recalled, look at Polar, Kalita, USA 3000 and the such. Hell, Coex is hiring. But don't contribute to lowering my wages, your wages and that of my peers around the industry by taking jobs at alter egoes.

This is all ALPA fault anyways

This is all ALPA's fault anyways.... Dwyane Worth needs to get his head out of his rear! He needs to get control of this industry. I have been an ALPA member for 6+ years and in that time I have seen my union dues hard at work when:

1) Freedom Air started
2) Eagle Jets flown by TSA pilots
3) CoEx lose flying to Gulfstream
4) AWA lose 20+years of service to other LOWER wage carriers
5) Mesa whore itself out to every airline in the world
6) The largest Pension default in US history
7) USAir Pilots Flying E-170 four $60/hr
8) 400+ American Pilots as CA on RJ's when a FO with 7+yr and 5000 in type cannot be a capt.

Now you sit here on this board and bitch that no one should go to GoJets, because they didn't have the balls to walk a picket line to get a NO ALTER EGO CLAUSE in their contract.

ALPA needs to wake up!!!

TSA Pilots.... WTF... Are you guys that bitch and complain about GOJet's, the same Pilots that refuse to fly those 10 EMB-145's that have an American Eagle Registion on the door? OH WAIT I forgot....NO your still fly them!

There is a very very very simple solution to the TSA vs GoJets debate....

TSA.... STOP FLYING FOR AA!!!

Then there will be no need for GOJETS.

SO EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP AND BE DONE WITH THIS...

You CAN'T always have your CAKE and EAT it TOO!

Last edited:
Yeah, because the TSA pilots really get to make the decisions as to who their airline flies for. :rolleyes:

JackFlyer said:
There is a very very very simple solution the the TSA vs GoJets debate....

TSA.... STOP FLYING FOR AA!!!

Then there will be no need for GOJETS.

SO EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP AND BE DONE WITH THIS...

You CAN'T always have your CAKE and EAT it TOO!

i understand your frustration, but quit beating a dead horse. i have yet to meet ANY pilot who determines where aircraft are purchased from and what logo is put on the tail. good luck with your grievance against AMR.

Bankangle said:
Well I'm glad you are happy with them. I witnessed first hand at what happend at AirWis in the early 90s and at another regional carrier I worked for they never even showed up to talk to us and when they did they didnt even know who we were.. I would suppose that through the years they now have recognized that their biggest customer in the future are going to be RJ guys. Good Luck

ALPA isn't perfect. No form of representation is perfect. Many pilots, however, have an unrealistic expectation of what ALPA (or any union) can or should do for them. Reading this thread (and the dozens of other threads that bash ALPA) is indicative of this fact. So many blames are placed in the wrong place. Lastly, too much emphasis is placed on "ALPA National" and fail to realize that they should look at their own MEC if they have issues with "ALPA."

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Lastly, too much emphasis is placed on "ALPA National" and fail to realize that they should look at their own MEC if they have issues with "ALPA."

-Neal

Neal,

I know the hard work, commitment, and sacrifice you showed during the recent negotiations at XJT. But I have to call "BS" on your comment. THE MOST effective leaders are those that lead by example. Right now, I'd question how effective ALPA National leadership is performing, at least from a regional pilots perspective.

If ALPA is going to succeed, then National is going to have to give up their "lets only protect the senior mainline guys" attitude. A good part of the issues confronting ALL airline pilots, regional and mainline, are related to poor management and vision from National. True, local MEC's are responsible for their own little world but National is still ultimately responsible for vision of where the organization is headed.

ALPA National needs to CEASE RIGHT NOW being politically motivated and return to being an Association of "unity" for ALL airline pilots. The airline industry is no longer about mainline pilots. It's about ALL of us. Senior National leadership needs to change and have more progressive and "UNITY-THINKING" pilots in charge. I can't help but think Duane and his entourage are just as guilty about self-interest as today's Airline CEO's.

I hope ALPA can change so the current situations improve. However, if ALPA continues with the status-quo, it will eventually fail.

HMM

HowlinMadMurdoc said:
Neal,

I know the hard work, commitment, and sacrifice you showed during the recent negotiations at XJT. But I have to call "BS" on your comment. THE MOST effective leaders are those that lead by example. Right now, I'd question how effective ALPA National leadership is performing, at least from a regional pilots perspective.

If ALPA is going to succeed, then National is going to have to give up their "lets only protect the senior mainline guys" attitude. A good part of the issues confronting ALL airline pilots, regional and mainline, are related to poor management and vision from National. True, local MEC's are responsible for their own little world but National is still ultimately responsible for vision of where the organization is headed.

ALPA National needs to CEASE RIGHT NOW being politically motivated and return to being an Association of "unity" for ALL airline pilots. The airline industry is no longer about mainline pilots. It's about ALL of us. Senior National leadership needs to change and have more progressive and "UNITY-THINKING" pilots in charge. I can't help but think Duane and his entourage are just as guilty about self-interest as today's Airline CEO's.

I hope ALPA can change so the current situations improve. However, if ALPA continues with the status-quo, it will eventually fail.

HMM

Thank you for the kind words about our recent contract. I guess as a result of my involvement, I speak with a different perspective and viewpoint on these types of issues. You bring up some valid points but I still disagree. Pilots are the ones who ratify their own contracts. MEC's are the ones who bring those contracts to the pilot groups to vote on. National deals with issues on a National level. Things like security, pensions, bankruptcy issues, etc. How is National supposed to prevent events like Freedumb? They can't. Management will do it and National will have to react accordingly...as will the respective MEC. Some people really do have unrealistic expectations as to what National can/should accomplish. Is National some form of knight in shining armor on a white horse? Will National make some "deus ex machina" performance and save the day? No. Because it can't...and shouldn't...be expected to do that.

I think people like to cast stones at National at this point in time because they want someone to blame and National is an easy target. Frankly? I think the blame lies with the mainline MEC's years ago when they didn't draw the line on "all jet flying shall be performed by mainline" but that is neither here nor there at this point in time given the fact that the toothpaste is out of the bottle. We now exist in a world where contract carriers bid on each other's business and it sucks - for everyone (except JO).

With that said, is National perfect? Of course not. Are they politicians? Yes. That is their job. To be the airline pilot's voice on Capitol Hill. De facto, that makes them politicians. Can they do things better? You bet. We can all look in the mirror and acknowledge that there are things we can do better...whether it is flying our airplane better or running our MEC better or better informing the public about the RJ pilot's plight.

It is easy for some on here (not necessarily saying you, just generally speaking) to cast stones from the crowd and lay blame on National but who has the guts to step up and help solve the problem? I guess I don't see National being a Major Airline Pilot's Union the way some of you guys do today. Were they that way 25 years ago? Probably. The industry was different then too.

Let me ask you this I guess....what exactly should/can National do to fix the woes of the industry? How would you do it if you were in their shoes? What are the problems of the regional jet pilot at the moment? How can National fix those problems? I have my own views on what the problems are and how to fix them but I'd like to hear some others as well.

-Neal

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back