• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going to FL180 in a few hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with avbug to. I took a warrrior up to 14,000 a few months ago. It was alot of fun and the view was great. Whats the point?...Ahh it was fun.

Flyin Tony said:
Well I got an O2 tank now im just getting ready to take my first trip upto FL180. Any tips?

Check the appropriate altimeter setting - FL180 might not be available.

Oh, and make sure you have the appropriate hose and mask(s) to hook up to said tank. A tank with no way to distribute the O2 is not much of a help.

Guitar Guy said:

Haha -- true that.

rumpletumbler said:
While on this topic I have a hypoxia question for you mens/girleys. I got hypoxia once on an a/c and no one else had it. I was the only smoker btw. We were at FL270 and I started feeeling fony. I sed..."ahhh feeeel fony" haha...and the captain handed me the oxygen mask. I put it on and it was like I could feel all the blood going back into my face. Spoooooooooky. About that same time the annunciator dinged a 12,500 cabin. I don't know what the cabin was actually at because for whatever reason I didn't look at the gauge. It was over in front of the left seat and hard to see. The captain nor the pax had any ill effects and after 15 minutes or so we descended. I suppose it you go on the information in what you study that I was probably at around 20,000 ft. I regularly go to 7 or so without issue so it would kind of be interesting to see where I actually start to get hypoxia but there is no pressure chamber in Georgia that I'm aware of. Anyone else had a similar experience?

As a smoker, your body is at about 7500 feet when you are at sea level. With a twelve five cabin, your body would indeed think that it was at about 20,000 feet. O2, or the lack of it is strange and has different effects on different people. For example, a non-smoker at 7500 feet loses about 50 percent of their night vision. God only knows what a smoker loses.

I smoke, and am aware of the possiblity of hypoxia. Other than getting a bit hypoxic one day after spending three hours at eleven five, I have had no problems. Last month, along with three non-smokers, I took a five mile hike at an elevation of 8500 feet. I was the only one who did not have any problems, and it was rough terrain.

www.bdkingpress.com

Guitar Guy said:
FL179.99 is always available.

rumpletumbler said:
...I got hypoxia once on an a/c and no one else had it. I was the only smoker btw...
Hey Rump, you wouldn't be one of the seven remaining smoking pilots. I thought you were smarter than that.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Hey Rump, you wouldn't be one of the seven remaining smoking pilots. I thought you were smarter than that.

'Sled

yeah...I'm on again off again. My last time quitting I was off a year. I'm about to quit again we will see.

Well we made it and I didnt take the Comanche, took a M20. Had no trouble doing it. He!! we made it to FL190.

Flyin Tony said:
Well we made it and I didnt take the Comanche, took a M20. Had no trouble doing it. He!! we made it to FL190.

And the purpose of this was..........?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back