• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going Hat in Hand to SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact that you are AF will probably be a bigger hurdle than the turn down.

The director of pilot hiring (AF) has left the position. The company realizes that MILOA abuse is way up (recent firing) and the company sees the culture drifting as a result of the Kernals "now it all, I flew an F-16 attitude" and total lack of interpersonal skills.

Good luck though.

Willie,

I've just gotta throw this out...I have flown follks with military backgrounds, and folks with civilian backgrounds. In EACH group there are great folks. In EACH group there are jerks. When you disparage a group because of their background (see above), it only shows you have unresolved self-worth issues. Please get over it, or I will assume you belong to the jerk group without (possibly) having ever met you (and that wouldn't be fair would it?).

The same goes for SWA/FO.

Rant over...many thanks to everyone else for your patience.

Last edited:
I was a UAL furloughee and in the SWA interview I told them that I had never even applied to SWA before. Times change, airlines change and people change. They hired me. I was competely honest and told them why I went to UAL and why I had never applied to SWA before. Go full steam on this one because SWA is a great place to work.

I highly doubt for liability sake that the PD will tell you will or won't get hired but it is worth giving them a call anyway.

Good Luck

The same goes for SWA/FO.

He is an awesome dude. But I highly doubt this dude will get hired if he turned down a class with us. We remember those folks.

Go "hat in hand to South West"?!? They don't wear hats, SWAPA got rid of them.....

Don't listen to ignorance

Mandrake:

Of course SWA hires pilots who merely turned down a previous offer. Now, if you were in class or already on the line and then quit...well that's a different story.

I am in the know...SWA has hired dozens of guys who turned down a SWA job offer in the 1998-2001 timeframe. SWA has also turned down a lot of guys the second time around, as well.

You will be asked to explain your rationale for going to AA in 2001. BE HONEST! Talk with your wife about all the reasons you decided to go to AA, and then speak very matter-of-factly about it with the interviewer(s). SWA does not penalize pilots for making a decision that was best for them and their family at THAT time. In fact, explaining your decision to go to AA actually gives you an opportunity to demonstrate a thorough decision-making process and fill one of the interview squares. Remember, one of the keys to success in any interview is to make a positive from a negative and show personal growth through negative experiences.

I say again...SWA does not penalize pilots for making a well-researched, well thought out decision which took into account all the priorities affecting your family at the time.

On the other, if you merely say that you wanted more money, then don't expect much sympathy. And you still have to pass THIS round of interviews just like you did in 2001. BE FOREWARNED...it's a LOT harder getting hired at SWA in 2006 than it was in 2001. We are hiring about half as many on a percentage basis.

Best of luck!

We had several guys in my reserve unit in the same boat. SWA told then they would not be considered since they turned down employment. This is very recent as in side a year for both.

A good friend was recently hired and he had turned us down back in 98 or so. He got turned down on his first retry and like I said was recently hired. Just finished his IOE. It is not impossible but you better come up with something good.

No one I know that left SWA for another major has gotten hired back. One pilot in particular (furloughed UA) has a brother at SWA, went to the interview, but was rejected.

No kidding...why would we hire more folks who are qualified with clean records, when they could leave again once the legacies improve to what they were? If they didn't want SWA then, they won't want us again in the future when other carriers' conditions improve.

BTW, why is everyone so defensive about not going to college? I would think there would be gratitude for SWA's hiring of them...

Actually we have 1 guy who left for another carrier and came back. He was a capt. at SWA when he left. He is now at SWA swinging gear. The only guy who left and was able to come back but I don't know the special circumstances. If you where in class here your hosed but if you just turned down an offer your still in the game but it wont be easy. Good luck.

He is an awesome dude. But I highly doubt this dude will get hired if he turned down a class with us. We remember those folks.

As weird as this is, I'm gonna have to agree with SWA/FO. You got a long shot. Sorry to sound crude, but they do remember everything. By the way, what will calling the people department really do? The receptionist, or maybe if you are lucky, a recruiter, will tell of course tell you to try. I think you are asking a question you already know an answer to.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back