Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
Do the majors usually avoid hiring Folks who try to come over from biz jets? .......................My goal is to do Frac/Corporate flying for a few years and then hopefully see what the Majors have going on in another 5 to 8 years or so. Any Advice from any folks who arrived at the Majors from the bizjet world??

you will not be discriminated against for flying bizjets by the majors. Especially if you plan on doing it for 8 years, by then you will more than likely have reached equipment like a Global,G550,BBJ etc. Which is good expierence to move to an airline from.

Airlines also like to see 121 time. You won't be disqualified for not having it, but there are many guys out there who will have it.

CUEBOAT said:
you will not be discriminated against for flying bizjets by the majors. Especially if you plan on doing it for 8 years, by then you will more than likely have reached equipment like a Global,G550,BBJ etc. Which is good expierence to move to an airline from.

If you get a decent Global / G550 gig in the corp world why would you want to go to an airline? to take a 100K pay cut? get furloughed? be juniour? commute?

chances are by this point in your life you will have a family, a life, bills, etc....

the scenario you describe is not very practical.

I made it to FedEx via Flight Options and the corporate route but that was back in '01, times have changed. This business is about timing, I probably couldn't get an interview with FedEx if I was trying to get on today.

You can make it from the corporate route but I think your odds are slightly better going the 121 commuter route. Reason being is that so much weight is put on LOR's because there are A LOT of quality qualified pilots on the street. So having inside help is always a big plus and you will come into contact and make more acquaintances at a regional level than corporate level.

You need to concentrate on building multi time, moving up to larger aircraft and build PIC time. SIC time is useless so pick a place with fast upgrades.

Who knows where things will be in 5+ years but sacrifice everything to put yourself in position to get hired when things start to happen.

Good luck!

Last edited:
PurpleTail said:
I made it to FedEx via Flight Options and the corporate route but that was back in '01, times have changed. This business is about timing, I probably couldn't get an interview with FedEx if I was trying to get on today.

You can make it from the corporate route but I think your odds are slightly better going the 121 commuter route. Reason being is that so much weight is put on LOR's because there are A LOT of quality qualified pilots on the street. So having inside help is always a big plus and you will come into contact and make more acquaintances at a regional level than corporate level.

You need to concentrate on building multi time, moving up to larger aircraft and build PIC time. SIC time is useless so pick a place with fast upgrades.

Who knows where things will be in 5+ years but sacrifice everything to put yourself in position to get hired when things start to happen.

Good luck!

A little off topic here. Do you think its more important to get the PIC in turbo prop asap part 135 or wait it out for the PIC in a 121 jet? The turbo prop is also >20,000 mtow.

cougar6903 said:
A little off topic here. Do you think its more important to get the PIC in turbo prop asap part 135 or wait it out for the PIC in a 121 jet? The turbo prop is also >20,000 mtow.

If MTOGW is over 20k get it anyway you can AS FAST AS YOU CAN whether its 91,135 or 121 (IMHO). When you are filling out apps and writing in your flight times the first thing the employer will look at is "Does this person meet our minimums???" If you do then they might look at how and where you got your time.

I can't stress this enough...PIC IS GOLD IN AVIATION!

Gulfstream 200 said:
If you get a decent Global / G550 gig in the corp world why would you want to go to an airline? to take a 100K pay cut? get furloughed? be juniour? commute?

chances are by this point in your life you will have a family, a life, bills, etc....

the scenario you describe is not very practical.

I agree 100% with you G200, i wouldnt do it personally but hey he asked if it was possible.

Stinkbug said:
The <20000 MGTOW requirement only applies to recips. For turbine pilots there is no weight requirement...jet or turboprop it doesn't matter, just get the PIC as quickly as possible.

Jetblue's hiring page:

1000 hours in airplanes at or above 20,000 pounds (maximum takeoff weight) or 1000 hours in large turbojet airplanes (12,500 lbs or above)

Note it specifies turbojet - I'm assuming you need to be over 20k if you're flying a turbo prop.

Of course, this is the only operator that I know of that requirement.

~wheelsup

Latest resources

Back