Go to Nursing School or finish Professional Aeronautics degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA44Jockey

I am toying with the idea of going to nursing school, but I am wondering if I should finish my BS in professional aeronautics instead. Nursing school would take me two years to complete and Associates Degree and I would graduate as an RN. I currently have roughly 60 credits left to complete the Professional Aeronautics Degree with ERAU.

I am really interested in Nursing, but I am not sure that I want to specialize in another field. If I finish the BS I will at least have a 4 year degree for when the economy turns around and I won't be limited to the Medical field.

What would you do?

You have time in the CRJ and you STILL have to ask this question!!?? (just pulling your leg). In all seriousness though, If I were in your position I would probably stick with nursing. I'm going to assume from what you wrote that you don't currently have any form of college degree...yet you still have obviously flown for a regional airline. So, if you've done it once before without a degree you can certainly do it again if you were to have your associates.

You say that you don't want to limit yourself to the medical field; but, on the flip side of the coin if you had a BS in aviation (*insert catchy degree name here*) you're limiting yourself to aviation. At least with a nursing degree you'd have two directions in which to go whenever it is the economy and this industry turns around.

From the HR standpoint at an interview I don't believe that a nursing degree would hurt you one bit. They are interested in a college degree to mainly show your focus, determination and self discipline (at least that's from what I understand. I could just be running my mouth). A nursing program in not a walk in the park and takes a lot of work. I have several friends who are either current RN's or in school to be one. I can tell you that they got their "you know whats" handed to them on a plate. So, that being said I don't think that it would be looked down upon in the least.

Anyway, best of luck with whichever way you choose. I love flying more than anything. I don't consider being a pilot something that I do. It's who I am...and has been since I could barely walk. I couldn't ever imagine not having aviation in my life; but, being where I'm at in life and seeing what I've seen in this industry, I now really wish that I had a degree in something other than aviation. Everyone, regardless of profession, needs a fall back plan. If you're at a crossroads in life in which you can get one I say take it!

If you're in a position where you can devote the time to going to Nursing school, do it! You can always finish the ERAU degree at a later date if you want it, but the RN will give you a solid fallback plan and/or part-time gig to supplement flying.

My wife is in a nursing program right now and you would not believe the job offers already plus signing bonus money, pay school cost back, etc. This is the only way we can weather the storm for us. I was laid off a month ago and the market is really bad. Current on all my types and getting ready to add one thanks to WIA and still no job offers. Nursing is the way to go. My wife will probably take a 10k signing bonus and make 50K a year to start. Just my two cents. Good luck.

If you want to make money go to nursing school. My friend (male) is completing his course work. Find a specialty. He's going to be making 90K+ when he finishes. Also, there's a growing demand for the occupation. Make sure you find a specialty field though.

Do some searches... this has been covered a few times. But yeah, I'd go the way of nursing school over a BS in aeronautics. BTW, my friend also has his BA so its a nursing degree on top of that.

I just read an article in a Cincinnati business magazine about Children's Hospital. Said they are receiving many applications per posted position that they have. However, for Nursing positions they are calling applicants within 24 hours that way they don't lose candidates to other hospitals. They are even buying out Scholorships that were given to the Nursing Student from other hospitals. I am pretty sure that I am going to go the Nursing route. I just wanted to see what others were thinking. Thanks for all of your input!

NURSING SCHOOL with a capital N.....make sure you get a degree out of it though. When airlines start hiring yolu want to be able to tick that degree box on the app. Most airlines don't care what your degree is in just so you have one. MIne was in Mortuary Science (Funeral Director / Embalmer) and every few years when things have gotten bad and there is furloughing I usually havent had to worry with that extra license as a backup plan. Dont put all your eggs in one basket.

NURSING SCHOOL with a capital N.....make sure you get a degree out of it though. When airlines start hiring yolu want to be able to tick that degree box on the app. Most airlines don't care what your degree is in just so you have one. MIne was in Mortuary Science (Funeral Director / Embalmer) and every few years when things have gotten bad and there is furloughing I usually havent had to worry with that extra license as a backup plan. Dont put all your eggs in one basket.

How'd you choose THAT route? :eek:

...as a college student, I did some PT work in the accounting office of the cemetery SW of LGA. It always creeped me out to drive into the cemetery to work. What an odd bunch in that office. I will say that some of the salesmen made some serious money selling plots, crypts and such. The commission was close to 6 figures for sitting around and making calls or setting up the deed, etc. Not hard work and you do fairly well. Of course it's quite a morbid occupation.

Latest resources

Back