Go on strike pilots! You need guns!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
to TWAdude and 350

How many dead Americans will it take to convince you of the wrongness of your political correctness? If you take the time to read the Federalist papers and other writings of the founding fathers, you'll find that one of their biggest concerns was an all powerful and oppressive government. Their writings indicate that the second amendment was placed in the constitution as a way of guaranteeing that citizens always had force equal to government. I don't believe that our Federal government is out to enslave us, but it is quite insulting for John MaGaw to infer that we citizens can't be trusted with a weapon that we could use to defend ourselves, while at the same time the President has ok'd the shootdown of airliners. Where's the logic in that?
It has been said, maybe by you two, that determined terrorist will get on the plane. That in itself defeats your logic. If they WILL get there, and we can't place an FAM on every flight, it follows that your position would be that we just accept that they win. That is the end result of your logic. We can't stop them, therefore they will get their way. I can't accept that, and I guarantee you that the poor bas---ds who happen to get hijacked next will also reject that kind of defeatist logic. They will fight to their death, They will be screaming "lets roll" as they face the terrorists.Your logic would have them sitting calmly in the seats cowering, shaking and begging because "there's no way to stop a determined terrorist".

ShawnC said:
The only proper way to deal with a terrorist is to allow the CIA to infiltrate the orginizations and deal with them before they have a chance to strike.

Anything else is just a way to deal with a problem that has already been set in motion.

I agree, but I believe that there is also another way. Inform the states that support terror that the next American that dies as a result of terror will bring down the full force of American power, nukes if necessary, upon Bagdad/Tehran/Mecca, etc.

Most of us "touchy/feely" politically correct Americans don't yet understand that this is not an old fashioned war. Those wars were fought to win territory and material wealth. These terrorist wars are about ideology. The muslim extremists are not out to steal our land, they want us dead. Period. Dead. If we insist upon dealing with them in the same way that normal people are dealt with, we will only bleed.

I do believe that we will win the war, the question is this. How many Americans will have to die before the American populace realizes that this is a battle to the death? It is only then that we will put the pressure on our leaders to take decisive action.

Good Luck to us all

How many dead Americans will it take to convince you of the wrongness of your political correctness?

Once again you are "assuming" that a gun would have saved the day as well as made that much of a difference. I tend to disagree with you due to fact that these hijackers were so determined and willing to do whatever it would take to bring the planes down and no matter what they were not going to be stopped. IF you are that determined and willing to DIE for a cause that you believe in I find that it would be next to if not impossible to stop that person. (just my opinion) The only thing that I am suggesting is that we "mimimize" our risks and take every precaution that we have- BUT just for "debate" sake lets say the gov't had allowed all airlines to have a gun on the flight deck, what do you think the probability would be that IF a hijacker would attempt to duplicate the same 9-11 scenario that the hijacker would use the same method and way of taking control of the aircrafts.?

Also how would a "gun" stop a potential hijacker who is sitting in the back wrapped in explosives who is willing to die for a cause that he/she believes in.?

Just for curiousity sake- also how is a GUN on the flight deck going to stop a missile from bringing the aircraft down as well as a potential explosive device in some hijackers suitcase.?

I do see your points however I would rather STOP a hijacker from even gaining access to the aircraft while it is on the ground.... IF they get by security and are given access to the aircraft then the people working security have failed not only us but also the innocent pax in the back as well as the many innocent lives on the ground. IF they are not on board the aircraft in the first place then their would be no "problem" or worry.... I am not "suggesting" that they "win" as you put it, the only thing I am suggesting is NOT to be put in that situation in the first place.

C H E E R S
3 5 0

I'm sure everyone will admit that a gun would not have "saved the day" on September 11th due to the Common Strategy. As far as the crash axe saving the day on the American flight to south america...well, luckily it was just one nutcase and not a coordinated effort. If the pilot had time to get out of his/her seat, take out the crash axe, AIM and then swing the crash axe, he/she certainly had time to pull a pistol out of a holster and then aim and shoot an assailant (sp?). I'm glad the nutcase in question wasn't killed. That would be a bit of "overkill". If push comes to shove though...I would prefer to have a method of ending a conflict permanently and quickly. Notice I haven't mentioned anything about shooting terrorists...I doubt that they will try another hijacking scenario similiar to 9/11. But I would enjoy the peace of mind in knowing that the cockpit truly is more secure than it is now. The question of physiological needs is something that needs to be addressed. To live in a perfectly secure world, you have to be willing to give up large amounts of freedom and capital. I choose to live free and within my means with the element of risk that is called LIFE.

Have to agree with the above comments by flint4xx, and don't want to give anyone any ideas, that there are "easier" ways to bring down an aircraft.
Passengers seem to be more engaged with their surroundings and (hopefully) would respond to a crisis situation.

The problem for the kooks is that if they don't go down with the ship then they miss out on the 70 virgins waiting on them after they die.
You have to wonder if this suicide stuff is so great then how come none of the alleged leaders do it?!! Guess they already have their harem here on earth.

There are lots of ways for these scumbags to bring down a ship. A criminal mind can be very creative.

Back to the original thread about having guns, I agree they should be allowed but the reality of the situation is it creates a screening nightmare plus there would be some pilots who would carry a weapon and others who wouldn't. Speculate though that if a criminal had to wonder if a crew was armed that could be a deterrent itself.

Re: to TWAdude and 350

enigma said:
How many dead Americans will it take to convince you of the wrongness of your political correctness?

Who was it that said, "To label me is to nullify me"? PC has nothing to do with anything here.

If you take the time to read the Federalist papers and other writings of the founding fathers ...

Thank you for that patriotic speech but I'm not talking about guns laws in general. I'm talking about a specific change to a gun law in a security-sensitive location. Even law enforcement officials don't have carte-blanche to carry a weapon here.

I don't believe that our Federal government is out to enslave us, but it is quite insulting for John MaGaw to infer that we citizens can't be trusted with a weapon that we could use to defend ourselves, while at the same time the President has ok'd the shootdown of airliners. Where's the logic in that?

I'm not trying to be smart with this, but what evidence do you have to prove MaGaw wrong? Can it be proven beyond any reasonable doubt that a gun in the cockpit would've prevented any of the historical calamities? We can both speculate all we like but I think the gov't is simply weighing the risks and thus deciding.

It has been said, maybe by you two, that determined terrorist will get on the plane. That in itself defeats your logic. If they WILL get there, and we can't place an FAM on every flight, it follows that your position would be that we just accept that they win.

Getting on the plane and defeating it are two different issues. If they can't penetrate the (newly bulletproof) cockpit door than the plane has a very good chance of landing safely. IF they somehow penetrate the door one gun up front may or may not stop all of them.

Just try to imagine all the new procedures that would be required to allow a gun up front. Every leg of every flight would involve a lot more work and paperwork. It'll cost oodles of government and airline money that I believe is best spent on other things.

Arming Pilots

Well, I'm still in favor of US pilots carrying
firearms and I believe the debate is just starting and no where near "over" as 350 is citing. The next few months should be very interesting in this debate. Hopefully the Mica/Young bill will pass and we can force the administration to accept firearms in the cockpit.

yes you're right.. IF the screeners are effective, then the hijackers wont get on the plane. thats a big IF. they were supposed to be effective before 9/11 too! even after 9/11 they arent that effective, there's been numerous occasions about guns and knives and stuff getting past them since, just think about all the occasions that werent found out or reported on.

you're right a gun wont stop a ground launched missle from a terrorist, neither will ground screeners, so by your logic mr 350, would you suggest we do away with ground screeners? seems by your logic that if a security measure wont stop all possible ways, then its not worthwhile.

i'm sure most americans feel that another 9/11 wont happen, and odds are it probably wont. but the terrorists goal is to make us feel the terror, they even said that we wont feel security til blah blah blah. what better way to rub our noses in it and show us that no matter what we do, they still got us by the balls than to do something similar. our "new" security is far from adequate, a repeat under current conditions is totatlly doable. and it would be more effective (on the nation) than the first attack or if they attacked someplace else when we werent looking.

Think about your logic

350DRIVER said:

IF you are that determined and willing to DIE for a cause that you believe in I find that it would be next to if not impossible to stop that person. (just my opinion) ................

.........I do see your points however I would rather STOP a hijacker from even gaining access to the aircraft while it is on the ground...........

C H E E R S
3 5 0

First you say that it is next to, if not, impossible to stop a determined hijacker who is willing to die. I say, then be prepared to kill him. A 45 would suffice quite well in that regard.

You end by saying that you would rather STOP a hijacker from gaining access while the aircraft is on the ground.
I say that you can't have it both ways, unless you are willing to kill him on the ground.

What do you choose? Do you kill the young muslim extremist that you picked out in the screening line? I doubt it. We are not going to racially/affiliation profile, so your way WILL allow the bad guy on the airplane. The very same airplane that has no way to defend itself under your plan.

So let's look at this scenario. Now we have a defenseless airplane carrying suicidal maniacs, who you admit will only stop when they are dead. What do you suppose the outcome of that situation will be?

The rest of your arguments have no bearing on the subject at hand. Of course a gun in the cockpit won't stop a missle from bringing down an airliner. It's not supposed to. Neither will a gun stop a bad guy from detonating a bomb, unless he is trying to light off his shoe. But the gun is not supposed to stop that either. Guns in the cockpit would be there for the sole purpose of defending the cockpit. And for that purpose, they would have no equal.
Like I said, how many dead Americans will it take to make the politically correct realize that we are at war?

Latest resources

Back