Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

go! New Mesa Hawaii airline gets a name!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired said:
Hah! I'm thinking Star-bulletin doesn't like Mesa starting up in Hawaii. Several hundred of these fly daily in the mainland, but the headline is screaming the "the sky is falling", pointing at a couple of potential planes (max planes 9, tops) that Mesa MIGHT fly in the islands.

Headlines screaming are the specialty of Johnny O.

Soverytired said:
This is so transparent it's pretty funny.

Still though, maybe Mesa will quit screwing around and just start flying 737's from the get go. Pretty obvious that's the long term plan anyway.

If flying 737's in Hawaii is so obviously the plan, doesn't this make the rest of mesa's press releases, hmmm, could we say transparent?

The irony of it all was the only thing screaming at me from this post soverytired. I think that just about every mesa pilot I know understands mesa is coming to Hawaii for only one thing, and as unethical as that may be, all I keep hearing from the mesa pilots is

"show me the airplane".

Fltlvls said:
Lets see....small airplane ..small paycheck...Big airplane ...Big paycheck... as for a proposed pay rate for the 737 was going to be 20% above CRJ 900 CA pay and F/O pay the same as a 50 seater...it was proposed and was laughed at by the pilots and ALPA

You guys should have laughed at those wages. Right now your CRJ captains top out at 100 bucks an hour after a short 20 years. Let's see, that makes a would be 20 year 737 captain 120/hour?

Which coincidentally would have been the same as an Aloha 12 year 737 CA. What are you saying? We're a frickin regional. We have longer pay scales to prevent people from sticking around.

$120 an hour isn't so bad...20 year, 12 year...whatever. You want the big bucks, grow a pair and go to work for Southwest.

Either way $120/hr for a 737 CA at 20 years is the same as an Aloha 737 CA. You're comparing apples to oranges of course, because we're Mesa and you guys are obviously so cool because your pay scales are proportional to ours.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. $120/hr. Pathetic.

Guess what? Once you get 737's and are flying your own schedules, you are no longer a regional. I don't even work for Aloha. I was simply making the point that if you guys do get 737's, you better wise up, or you'll be flying mainline airplanes for regional wages.

Last edited:
bitememesa said:
Which coincidentally would have been the same as an Aloha 12 year 737 CA. What are you saying? We're a frickin regional. We have longer pay scales to prevent people from sticking around.

$120 an hour isn't so bad...20 year, 12 year...whatever. You want the big bucks, grow a pair and go to work for Southwest.

Either way $120/hr for a 737 CA at 20 years is the same as an Aloha 737 CA. You're comparing apples to oranges of course, because we're Mesa and you guys are obviously so cool because your pay scales are proportional to ours.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. $120/hr. Pathetic.

Several factors go into measuring compensation. Not just hourly pay.

flamebait!

dash8driver said:
dood.. its mesa, do you really expect them to know anything about getting a good contract (work rules, etc)? ;)

Yours and Mesa's Dash rates are pathetic, not even close to Horizon's rates.

You, as a PDT pilot are a Bottomfeeder.

Go kiss mainline and lets hope you raise the bar....for all the regional pilots out there

sniper said:
Yours and Mesa's Dash rates are pathetic, not even close to Horizon's rates.

You, as a PDT pilot are a Bottomfeeder.

Go kiss mainline and lets hope you raise the bar....for all the regional pilots out there
bzzzzzzzt. never worked for PDT.

how does that foot taste? you really should be careful when you're taking huge leaps to make an ASSumption...unless you like to show everyone you're a fool. thats ok, donkey ass brown looks good on you.

Just wondering what all the Mesa people here think about this article:

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2006/04/03/story7.html

Among the tidbits, JO says (and remember, this is a quote directly from him);

"Yeah, they responded to our $39 fares, but how many seats can they sell for $39?" he asked. "I don't think they can do it for long. We can fly planes empty and cover it. The Hawaii operation costs about $20 million to $25 million a year -- we can lose that much money. We can cover it."

The article continues to say;

Ornstein comes to Hawaii with deep pockets -- an operational cash flow of $120 million -- and the indulgence of stockholders who like the fact that he runs a profitable airline in this era of bankruptcies.

Yes, the Board of Directors support him (publicly, for now);

"We [the board] trust him, and he's proven to be worthy of our trust," said Maurice Parker, a director on Mesa's board since 1998. "We think this is a great move for Mesa, and it's going to be profitable."

But I wonder how much the board and employees will support him when he is running through nearly 20% of the entire airline's cash flow to support the bleeding in Hawaii! Don't you think that at some point the board is going to say "Whoa there big fella" and tell JO to end the Hawaii stunt? They all support him when Mesa is making a profit, but watch how fast they can turn on him when the red ink starts running.

And another thought - He may bleed through that much cash in a hurry, but how does he intend to turn it around? Does he think that the demise of Aloha or Hawaiian's interisland service would automatically move all their passengers to Mesa? Wouldn't the surviving bigger airline just get bigger and snag most of the lost airline's passengers? If those people had rejected Mesa to begin with, why would they suddenly go there in droves?

On a different note, I have jumseated twice in the last month with a guy who is a Mesa pilot and going to Hawaii. He told me that the plan is for six crews in HNL, and two each in LIH, ITO, and KOA. How in the world are those outstationed crews supposed to survive? If you think it's expensive to live in HNL, try one of the other islands!

And finally,
Airgod said:
Acting like the island life is so much different than anywhere else...it's not, believe me. Same s_ _ _ - different place. Trying to incite the locals to reject Mesa is a waste of effort.

Airgod, your world is about to get rocked! Unless you have lived and/or worked in Hawaii (as mdanno said) you simply don't know what you're talking about.... hmmmm... pretty much like JO doesn't know what he's getting into either! :D

Good luck Mesa guys. You're gonna need it!

HAL

Last edited:
HAL said:
Just wondering what all the Mesa people here think about this article:

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2006/04/03/story7.html

Among the tidbits, JO says (and remember, this is a quote directly from him);

"Yeah, they responded to our $39 fares, but how many seats can they sell for $39?" he asked. "I don't think they can do it for long. We can fly planes empty and cover it. The Hawaii operation costs about $20 million to $25 million a year -- we can lose that much money. We can cover it."

i hope the mesa MEC is reading this and taking note. with over 25 million a year to waste, JO can certainly afford to give the pilots a better contract next time. still, its gotta suck tho to see him burn the money that he should be paying the employees.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back