• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GM & Ford Flight Departments 86'd

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regardless, it still sucks to find out you are out of a job and go get to apply to some sweet regional right 3 weeks before Christmas.

Best of luck guys.....hopefully they will be headed to one last recurrent on the company.

Regardless, it still sucks to find out you are out of a job and go get to apply to some sweet regional right 3 weeks before Christmas.

Best of luck guys.....hopefully they will be headed to one last recurrent on the company.

Is the flight dept. you fly for unnecessary too? Why is yours different? Now while I don't agree with the 3 CEO's going into Congress unprepared, you cannot accurately argue that their flight depts serve no purpose. Explain to us how it makes more sense for a CEO who gets paid about $11,500 an hour to be stuck in a crappy hybrid SUV for a 525 mile drive.
Can you drive that Hybrid from a plant inspection in Valparaiso to the next inspection in Mexico City or Shanghai?

It can be done with the airlines, but with delays and city pairings? Alot of time (see Money) is going to be wasted.

If they hook up with a fractional, if they're worth their salt, they'll make taking the pilots part of the deal. Who knows. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. I know GM has 2 newhires, and I don't know if the female has Netjet mins. Still can't believe this has happened to them. Give it a couple years and they'll probably start off with a Hawker or something along those lines and the planes will be back; it's simply a matter of time.

What do you mean, having those flight departments is completely unnecassary. And to have flown their G's to Washington to ask for billions of dollars was just stupid.

I'm sure those pilots have very nice severance packages, don't worry, they'll be just fine. If they don't have severance packages, then their bad for not having them in their contracts. I wouldn't fly for a 91 operator without one.

Wow.

Couldn't have just simply said "sorry to hear" when about 150 people were just thrown out on the street in our business today?

"dont worry, they will be just fine, if not shame on them, huh?" - what? more bragging about your job? I never met someone with a great job who had to brag about it online. Have you?

The mentality level of some in this business never ceases to amaze me, and you're as low as it gets Fly91.

Nothing like kicking $hit in these guys faces on the very day they are out of what they likely thought was a lifetime job.

Last edited:
Can you drive that Hybrid from a plant inspection in Valparaiso to the next inspection in Mexico City or Shanghai?

It can be done with the airlines, but with delays and city pairings? Alot of time (see Money) is going to be wasted.

Hey Reg,

Drink another cup of coffee and re-read. We are driving at the same point. driving/airlines = bad idea.

the media are the ones that made them famous. Look to the true enemy.

Somedays, I wish freedom of speech and freedom of the press was with held.

It would keep idiots like Fly91 from being able to speak, and keep the liberal media from scaring the hell out of everyone by sensationalizing everything.
When's the last time media coverage ever helped a $hitty situation?

Anyhow, best of luck to those that just lost their employment.

Fly91, I hope your job is more secure than these individuals. You never know when it could be your turn......... something to think about.

the media are the ones that made them famous. Look to the true enemy.
I was wondering when someone was going to realize that. ABC news started all of this. They had a huge story the day these guys went to congress, which lets you know they had been working on it for quite some time. What I fail to understand is why they had to go in the 1st place. Citi, AIG, etc appear to have just made a phone call and got the White House to bail them out; Big 3 had to go before congress; I suspect it's because of the union aspect. Citi invested in Sub-Prime mortages, AIG insured the same sub prime market. Why are they not going before congress? Both have substantioal flight departments. If the big 3 have dumped their flight departments, then Citi certainly has no business taking delivery of a new 7X. Not because they don't need it, but because when some a$$hole reporter finds out, and they will, then Citi is going to be enormous pressure (from the new administration and the public) do dump the department. It's all about how it looks and we know from the Big 3 that people outside aviation simply dont understand "Luxury Corporate Jet" logistics. When they are told a jet cost 4K/hour to operate, they automatically multiply that figure by 24, and assume it costs that much a day just to own the airplane. Good luck out there

I may be biased, but the Big Three didn't have a plan to pay the government 8% on their money like the banks did.

They just showed up in 3 Gulfstreams, sat there with blank faces when grilled by some clowns in congress, and eventually threw flight departments (and countless others really) under the bus. It showed the utter lack of leadership in the automakers, and it has quickly become corporate aviations worse day in history.

I'd like to thank these CEOs for that stellar performance.

The Big three have been broken for a long time, they also don't have trillions in assets like the banks. MANY banks have already been allowed to completely fail or forced into mergers by the Fed. I think much of the concern is what does Detroit have for a plan and why isn't Chpt 11 and restructuring an option?

None of this is good for corporate aviation..I agree, the media has no clue...but the 2 (banks and auto makers) are not even remotely similar - as battered as both are right now.

So what are these 2 and likely other companies going to do? close departments, spend MORE money chartering or fractional, lay off more pilots, then eventually rebuild a department later on when public outcry ceases? - in the mean time many of us in aviation may likely just take it in the a$$....

Amazing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back