• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Global 5000 Lands short in Carribean??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure there is data somewhere but the fact is that the number must be extremely small if not ifintesimal. Properly trained pilots in Level D simulators typically are turned to line ops without the benefit of any real aircraft time. Then with a thorough IOE of twent-five hours or a reduced hours and a certain number of landings the pilot is released to high mins, ect. Usually if it is the pilots first Capt. slot, in a turbojet, he needs to be observed by the FAA. Various operational theaters can add time to the whole package, but the bottom line is minimum training, maximum effort, and good judgement need to be applied by all.

The big problem is the guys with Turbo-Jet time are not getting the proper supervision because of prior experience.
In my tiny little mind my thought process is that years ago there were not alot people that were transitioning with from average corporate size aircraft to large prvt aircraft such as a Global. Most people that do go to that size of aircraft are probably under a highly supervised 121 program not a Part-91 2 low time in type guys running around the country in there first large size cabin aircraft.

I have never flown something that big but could only imaging the difference from a 26000# Astra with the mains 10 feet behind me to a 80000# + aircraft with the mains 100 feet behind. There has to be a bigger learning curve then 25 hours supervised flying can ever cover in such a big transition. But then were do you draw the line.

Just my 2 cents worth.

There was some good technical discussion about this, about TCHs and the like, on the NBAA list. I think the thing to take from this is if you're landing on a short runway touching down at the very beginning is not the answer. Somebody quoted 2300 ft landing distance over a 50 ft. obstacle for the Global. If you're used to trying to make soft landings with smooth rollouts you start to think an airplane needs a lot of runway, and then when you do a high performance landing you see 2500 ft. is enough.

The Nevis accident was a guy named Grey Gibbs. He is the owner of Elite Air. He is also the one who had the taxiing accident mentioned above in the G4. He's a bonehead...

I was standing just abeam the threshold of the runway, because I knew the plane was coming in, and wanted to see this landing up close (not the
brightest thing I have ever done). Very windy day, ceiling about 600 to 900 feet.

You don't supose that you might have been a distraction to a pilot who already had his hands full? What were you thinking? Anytime I've ever seen people or animals near the landing zone, I've taken it around, as you never know what they might do. You might be patting yourself on the back for your post incident actions, but you might look back and ask yourself if you didn't contribute to the cause.
My 2 cents.

fedora no disrespect or flame bait......... i guess you have not been to st maarteen.......................

Point well taken, Ruhroa. Thanks.
BTW. Great handle! Scooby was one of my favorites growing up!
I'll back out and leave the thread to you guys who really know what's going on. Glad there was no loss of life, and hopefully everyone will make full recoveries.
H.N.Y. to all!

Sorry guys, I was not anywhere near this incident. If you read my post and go to the link I provided, you will see that I was only passing along the information third or fourth-hand. So I can't accept the kudos or defend the 'attack'.

Latest resources

Back