Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Duderino

You Are What You Is
At what total time, or time in type could I expect to be insurable as a Captain in the GIV? I have been told in the past by a Chief Pilot, that even if I meet the minimums of the insurance company, there is an unspoken rule that you need to be in your mid 30s or older to be considered. Any truth to this? I am starting to feel the urge to upgrade and am wondering what my time line is. I now have 4000TT and 400 in type with 3000 PIC, 2200 turbine and 1200 Turbine PIC, oh yeah I'm 29. Thanks in advance.

duder

You don't happen to work for PJ based in VNY??

Unwritten rule?? Sounds like the Chief Pilot is denying your request to upgrade, even though you may meet the hourly insurance requirements.

Duderino said:
At what total time, or time in type could I expect to be insurable as a Captain in the GIV? I have been told in the past by a Chief Pilot, that even if I meet the minimums of the insurance company, there is an unspoken rule that you need to be in your mid 30s or older to be considered. Any truth to this? I am starting to feel the urge to upgrade and am wondering what my time line is. I now have 4000TT and 400 in type with 3000 PIC, 2200 turbine and 1200 Turbine PIC, oh yeah I'm 29. Thanks in advance.

duder

No truth to any of that.

I was PIC on a midsize and Large jet younger than that (26) with less hours (3500) (so were more than a few people I know) Is it "normal" - probably not, but certainly doable - nothing extraordinary nor any insurance hoops to jump through that I knew of.

Mine was done Pt135 and Pt91 Fortune 50.

I dont think its the total hours, more like how well they know you and when the company sees it fit. I was a both jobs at least one year before being PIC. I dont think I would have WANTED to be set loose any earlier than that.

Haven't you only been there a few months?

Only advice I can offer with my limited experience (compared to some) is that if the plane goes all over the world be sure to see a tough trip to each region first - not including Europe (thats a no brainer) . See Asia a few times, India, Indonesia, Japan, South America - especially Santiago, etc..also Russia, mid-east if possible. Reason being is that once you are PIC the first time you go some hard place may be with Joe Dork PFT FO from the Netherlands as far as you know (of course depends where you work)

Flying is incidental, its having a bit of local knowledge thats makes or breaks it IMHO.

Good Luck Duderino!

Last edited:
I think you should walk into his office and set a tape recorder down and tell him to talk about his policy on upgrades. If he's stupid enough to even bring up the age thing, just go get a lawyer and buy a small island somewhere. Seriously, you don't want to work for somebody like that. I think you would be competitive at other operators. I am 29 too, and that should not be an issue. It's no different than him saying you should be a male, or white, or whatever...you get the point. I would start putting the feelers out if I were you.

I have put the feelers out. And just recently quit the job because of problems with a rogue there. I flew for them for 9 months, and that was all I could take. Being abused or praised, differeing each day, is not something I am interested in doing. I am looking for work, but don't think it is going to be easy to stay in South Florida. Hoping to move back to Texas.

I didn't ever ask to be captain there. I didn't think it was even an option based on the attitude of the company towards co pilots. I know I can do it, its just some of the trips that come up would be beyond my abilities right now, with out winging it(which they loved to do). I could do Europe all day. I have been to Russia, and think that would even be easy. However, getting called in the middle of the night to fly to China, would be something I would not be comfortable doing.

I am mostly interested in finding out if there would be a way to fly as a Captain now, especially not the hard trips. I know that if you are going to be captain, you need to be able to do it all, but at what point does that happen?

Thanks for the advice y'all.

duder

To get their trust you need to stay put more than 9 months. I know that easier said then done of course....but its not the age, hours, etc...its seeing you do it under different conditions and thier needs - most of the time.

If they dont need a PIC they certainly have no need to upgrade you and pay you more. yet.

Maybe getting out of garbage South Florida would help also. Not many reputable operators there.....I can imagine that leads to frustration.

As far as lawyers and tape recorders etc....I dont have to tell you who usually wins in the big dik contest with a scumbag operator. cant get blood from a stone and all you do is trash your reputation. Keep cool and move on when better arises.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Are you saying that an age discrimination law suit has never been won? Or that you should accept the discrimination and move. Why? I did'nt do anything wrong. You said it is not about the age. But the CP said he wants them in their 30's. That seems pretty blatant to me. The words on a tape would be icing on the cake, in my opinion.

gear_guy said:
Are you saying that an age discrimination law suit has never been won? Or that you should accept the discrimination and move. Why? I did'nt do anything wrong. You said it is not about the age. But the CP said he wants them in their 30's. That seems pretty blatant to me. The words on a tape would be icing on the cake, in my opinion.

OK - you win. they have no money (no dirtbag 135 operators do) you get nothing. Now explain that at every interview for the next 36 years. Dont think anyone knows? think again - its a small industry. You certainly dont want to known as a 29yr old sue happy guy who threw a temper tantrum because he wasn't made Captain. I wouldn't hire you.

Id be a little more trigger happy with an age disc. lawsuit when I was 60 and almost done anyhow.

No thanks, get a better job and say goodbye. Your reputation is worth more.

But of course this is a personal decision.

Latest resources

Back