Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream 200 said:
Yo Duderino,

No offense here, but less than 5 weeks ago you were asking for help for your first Atlantic crossing....

Now you can be a Capt and "do Europe all day"..... Russia is "easy"....

Am I missing something here?

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=54260

Whats the rush? are you screwing with us?

:confused: .

No offense taken Gulfstream 200. I have had 6 crossings in the past month and a half, and don't really see what is so hard about it. I know I will learn something new on every crossing but, I don't find it to be difficult what so ever. Should I? After 6 crossings? Russia is easy, atleast Ukraine is. I spent a week there with about 15 landings at all hours of the night, and day, doing 20 hour duty days twice during our stay. It wasn't difficult. Had plenty of time to pick up the altimetry nuances, and flying in meters, and get used to the body odor permeating off of every person native I came in contact. I am not saying it didn't take a little time and effort to learn, but there isn't much to what we did. However, like I said before, I haven't been to China or Japan, or Hawaii, or Australia, or the Middle East, or Chile. I would not like to be a new Captain and be expected to know what to do on a pop up for some place far away I have never been before.

There is no rush to be Captain:

Duderino said:
Thanks Capt.

I just want to say that the comment made about my age was when I had 20 hours in the plane, and was made by a Lear 60 pilot. I had no ambition to beg for a Captain seat, and barely have the motivation to pursue it yet. I am happy in the right seat, but wanted to know more about the normal times people see of new Captains.

What lead me to write this post was the "Captain at what time?" post.

English thanks for the lead, I did send me resume in even though I am not qualified. Doesn't hurt to dream, except the poor guy getting all the unqualified resumes(sorry guy).

I guess I struck a chord with a few of you based on the responses. Thanks for all the advice.

Duderino

Age shouldn't make a difference, experience should. I got my first type rating at 22(single pilot turboprop for a freight company), PIC on a light jet at 23, PIC on a med jet at 24. My first type was at almost 3000 hours, with only 700 turboprop PIC in a BE99(the rest was PIC piston time). Light jet PIC at 4000 hours(with 300 jet SIC), med jet PIC at 4500 hours. I've been offered a couple large jet PIC positions in the past couple years, but the pay and work conditions were not acceptable. I don't give a rats ass what I fly(as long as I keep flying), I'm looking for schedule, pay, and QOL.

Sorry Duder, guess I misunderstood what you were asking.

:eek: .

Last edited:
Dude, It sounds like what your chief pilot was really saying was That they prefer some experience before upgrading. While the Ukraine is not too problematic, other areas can be a real pain. Africa and the middel east are prime examples. Examples from the trip I am on this week. The boss wants to go from Istanbul to Athens. It's not a direct flight. Or Beijing to Taiwain. Or would you take the routing your handler gave you from Istanbul to Amman Jordon? It goes directly over Isreal. The handlers, even Universal, are not always right. All this comes with experience.

I would suggest, since you haven't mentioned it, to talk with your captain(s) and start taking over some of the flight planning and other captain type duties. Get a good handle on it.

Hey guys, explain "handlers" for me. No experinence with international flying yet. What exactly do they do for you and at what price?

most people use a flight planning service (Universal, Air Routing etc) and they have contracted people or employees in foriegn countries that help flight crews with all the mundane aspects of flying (fueling, customs, catering, transportation etc). these folks are called handlers. they are an essential part of international flying as they relieve the flight crew of a lot of hassles, which in turn allows them to concentrate on flying the acft. these people really help to make the transition on the ground go smoothly. the expense varies and can be quite high. just the cost of doing business. :)

Last edited:
Senior_Citizen said:
(the insurance contracts we revised for our G450 requires 1000 hr Turbine and 2000 TT and 200 hr in same size plane and 50 in type -must be because is a new type-).

Sorry, that was incaurate data -Don't Ask I'm :mad:-

Latest resources

Back