Getting the Citation II type

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scandinavian Flight Academy

I did my CE-500 type at the Scandinavian Flight Academy and took my check ride with Mike Pappas in January of 1999. Great guy and excellent course. I enjoyed the training and highly recommend the Scandinavian Flight Academy.

kilomike

:eek: Does it do any good to get a Citation or other Jet Type rating to improve the chances of getting Jet experience?

Anyone out there have an opinion?

I have lots of Turbine and Turbine PIC time, but no Jet time.
Still banging my head against the wall. :eek:

DesertFalcon

Turbine time v. Jet Time

The fact that you have lots of turbine PIC time is key. That should open plenty of doors. I don't think that not having jet time will matter particularly and a type will really help that much either. You won't get enough jet time during your training to really matter. If a place hires you, it'll send you someplace to be typed on its nickel.

Maybe you're not applying for the right jobs.

BobbySamd;

Thanks for your comeback.

I am only applying to companies that have Jets only.

I am well qualified; Perhaps the current market is what is slowing down my progress.

What a brain!
What else could it be?

I am sure over time I will get where I want to be.

I am 46 years old now; unfortunately, I don't long until
my career ends, under Part 121.

I am starting to see increased hiring in the industry.
Are you seeing the same?

DesertFalcon

More Industry hiring

I think you have it figured out. We can hope the economy will get better soon. I thought I heard Alan Greenspan say the economy is picking up. I'm not tuned into hiring as much as others, but I'm interested and keeping my ear to the ground.

But, regarding your question about getting the type rating, I don't know how much it really would help in and of itself. I would think your that your current quals say lots about you without having to add a type. Now, if you're looking for jobs that demand the type, naturally, that's another matter. Obviously, the type and your other turbine PIC should get some attention.

I agree that the type rating does absolutely nothing to enhance your chances of getting hired, unless you are targeting companies that have certain types of jets.

For instance, getting a lear type might enhance your ability to get an interview and/or job if you live in Southern Florida, or getting any type rating if you live in the NYC metro area. Being able to correctly position yourself in a large market might make a big difference, but there is some serious risk and monetary concerns that come with this.

Other than that, I can't see any benefit to spending the money to get a type rating. Think about this, I own a 58 baron and every year when I renew the insurance, I have compiled significant amounts of jet and turboprop time, which the insurance company says means squat towards my premium. Go figure.

Wow! I didn't realize the insurance companies were so tough.

Based on your information and the fact I don't really have the money to spend, I will not be getting a type rating. It is very tempting though.

I take it, that your type was given by your job?

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

DesertFalcon :p

==========================================

I have compiled significant amounts of jet and turboprop time, which the insurance company says means squat towards my premium. Go figure.

Latest resources

Back