Getting the Citation II type

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

knelson

My company is currently in the process of buying a Citation II SP and I am curious as to where I should go to get the ground/sim/type. I know there are several schools available, (Flight Safety, Simuflite, Simcom) does anyone have any opinions on which school would be better to attend and why?

I have been to Simcom and Simuflite before and have had good experience with both. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Citation type

You can't go wrong with the name brands, but I have another suggestion.

About twelve years ago, I got my Citation type with Mike Pappas at Professional Airline Systems in Carlsbad, California, near San Diego. I have heard that Mike is still around, but I cannot locate his company. Someone said that he's the DE at the Scandanavian Flight Academy in San Diego, http://www.scanavia.com/introFrame.html . I tried dropping him an e-mail several weeks ago at that school, but received no reply. Maybe someone knows where Mike is and can provide contact info.

Mike is a great guy and you'll have a terrific experience if you train with him. I recommend him highly.

Last edited:
I use to work at Flight Safety in Wichita...I know they do an excellent job, but really what I wanted to say is there is a Fred Pappas that works there. I wonder if he's related to Mike?

Citation Type

Try flightcrewsystems.com

Me thinks it is the company started by Mike Pappas. Do not know if he is still on board or not.

Good Luck

I would use one of the 3 in your post, i've been to flight saftety and to simcom. for citation at flight safety, king air and 414 at simcom. I would use which ever one that has the sim that is closer to the Cit II, as we know a CE-500 rating is good for I through V and the Encore, I did mine in a CIT V sim if I had to fly a II i would need some transition training.

I've never been to any of the 3 schools that you mentioned, but I have seen several companies advertising positions for Citation or Lear pilots that also say that they prefer candidates to have a Flight Safety or Simuflite card for that particular aircraft.

Not that these two schools are any better than any of the other places that have been mentioned here, but a card from Flight Safety or Simuflite might benefit you later on should you want to move on to another company.

Something to think about

Did the Citation type at FlightSafety in San Antonio in a SII, which is pretty close to a straight II. Although expensive, the overall training was outstanding and the experience was very good (only major problem was $16000 for the initial).

The next year I decided to try Quickturn in Dallas for recurrent and found that to be of a lesser quality than FlightSafety (sim is a level A, and the training regimen is very relaxed). The big win here was that it was only $5000, whereas the recurrent price for FlightSafety was $8900.

The next year I went back to FlightSafety and received the same excellent training I had experienced before.

Sorry I don't have any experience with Simuflite.

Looking at your numbers, it looks like this is your first type rating, so I would definitely spend the dough and go to FlightSafety. The big win is that you know exactly what your getting.

Thanks for all the repiles guys (and gals?). I appreciate all of you jumping right on this one. I think Flight Safety will be the one.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Kevin

Just got the CE-500 type in Scottsdale, AZ at Simcom. Great experience. Ground instructor and DE, Mitch, bought the Professional Airline Systems school some time back in the late eighties, early nineties, i believe, and then Simcom bought it from him. So, same material, but course is through Simcom. Extremely knowledgable fella and very personable. About 11,000 for initial type and 3,500 for recurrent. Stay at the hotel on Princess Drive, like an apartment complex with an awesome heated pool and hot tub. Great time. Wherever you go, good luck and have fun!

Latest resources

Back