Getting out of a training contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMB Jockey

Has anybody had any luck getting out of a training contract? I have an opportunity for a nice corporate job and was wondering how strong these agreements are. Any info would be great. I know I can pay my way out but am looking not to!

Has anybody had any luck getting out of a training contract? I have an opportunity for a nice corporate job and was wondering how strong these agreements are. Any info would be great. I know I can pay my way out but am looking not to!
typical punk. Do something origional; live up to your f'n obligations that YOU agreed to. then go get your really cool corp. job.

Try to settle for less. Either way they will probably go after you.

A Flexjet pilot was sued by his employer (Flexjet) for failing to adhere to the training contract as he quit 18 months into a 24-month contract. Its more to the story so either google it or read about it on p.40 of the March issue of Aviation International News or ainonline.com
Flexjet did not win the lawsuit so a precedence has been set.

typical punk. Do something origional; live up to your f'n obligations that YOU agreed to. then go get your really cool corp. job.

I don't know how to politely put this...but you are retarded. Why doesn't DL, UA, or CX has training contracts? because they don't worry about you leaving. The regionals pay people dirt cheap, knowing that you WILL leave within three years. They budgeted the turn-around cost! But the math works out to be cheaper to keep training than to pay you respectable wages. So what I am saying is, the regionals are trying to have it both ways. If they want to retain people..PAY THEM. If they don't, expect them to leave.

Try negotiating for your new employer to pay some or all of what you would owe for breaking the contract...you might be surprised what you can negotiate...

I'm guessing you are Mesa/Freedom? If so, the legal argument could always be made that they failed to uphold their side of the agreement (similar to the argument and now precedent the Flex pilot set).

Or you could negotiate directly with your employer for a pro-rated contract and pay that amount...if its a good 91 gig you'll likely make more than enough to cover it.

I recommend you pay or stay. If you do leave and they come after you they will not win the lawsuit (see my previous post) or even bother trying. What you can do is to do the right thing as the aviation community is very small. Got my drift?

I recommend you pay or stay. If you do leave and they come after you they will not win the lawsuit (see my previous post) or even bother trying. What you can do is to do the right thing as the aviation community is very small. Got my drift?

Not bashing but that is kind of a contradictory statement......although the precedent has been set, that Flexjet guy spent a rediculous amount of money in that lawsuit....hopefully it wouldn't take that

+1 to what Boiler said, if it's a good company and they really want you, they'll help you....I actually know a guy that just did this (it was part 135)....he got a new and much better job offer about 3 months after getting a new type....the new company paid off his old contract and didn't even make him cover any of the costs

Does anyone else think Forrest is an angry little man who is either a.) stuck in his own training contract at a company he doesn't like or b.) has such a wonderful attitude (as shown by his post) that he can't get that cushy, corporate job he really wants......it might even be both of those

Latest resources

Back