Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting on at ASA, likely, and what's their story?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you applied to Skywest? The new ATL base went junior. You'll probably upgrade faster in ATL at skywest than at ASA. It's not fair, but it is the reality.

Scott

I live in the LA area, and Skywest requires 1000/100. I could try for XJT, but I don't meet the ME mins either. I'm thinking ATL would be a good change of scenery, have fam there, and there are a few non-stops to SNA from ATL per day should I feel like coming home often.

We'll have to see, though. ASA has lower mins. ME time is really hard to come by. I'm going to be renting a twin this weekend, getting checked out, and then spending all my CFI-earned cash on twin-time.

Do a little digging on Pinnacle. There are a lot of mixed feelings on the board about QOL, etc.

I haven't heard where the 17 900s for Delta are going to be based, but I presume ATL is a good guess.

Pinnacle's OK. I wouldn't mind going, and I applied . However, they "encouraged" more time, and "encouraged" some programs like "JetU" and some other "jet transition courses".. I have been getting jet experience, and can do a fair job at programming an FMS, starting the engines, how to figure power settings (no FADEC), the normal operations, etc. In the real airplane, at that. I'm not going to spend 30K on some course that will teach me the same thing in a Sim. So if that is what Pinnacle requires right now, I'm not going any time soon.

I'm going to get checked out in the twin this weekend and work on my ME time, maybe I'll rake in about 30 hours next week just flying continuously in it. Will cost a good 5K, but oh well. Or I could do AriBen and get my 100 hours, which will total to about 150ME. Would do that real quick just flying continously, as well. We'll have to see.

But ASA doesn't require 100ME, so they're looking like a good option. If I go to AriBen, I can qualify for XJT, which seems like a good place to work right now, AND I can get an ONT base.

A lot of options right now.

I would not come to ASA at this time. Right now we are looking at two very bad scenarios which other regionals are not facing:

1. We will get released and go on strike. You will get no strike benefits as a new-hire.

2. We will get parked by the mediator and see our planes slowly get transfered to Skywest. Our pilot group will actually shrink and you will be furloughed.

Not to mention the fact that our reserve system is horrible (it's all two hour callouts), the company is very anti-commuter, schedules have become uncommutable four days on then 3 days off for 85% of the lineholders, and the whipsaw going on between us and Skywest has made it a very not-fun-anymore place to work.

My advice is go to skywest and enjoy the benefits which will come at our expense. Hopefully you won't be forced to scab out when we strike, but who knows. Even we flew Comair planes during their strike and there wasn't much we could do about it.

Happy times!!!

Back in 97 (or 98), UA was hiring tons of guys with no PIC time. A good friend of mine over there, been there 10 years, no PIC time, and neither did anyone in his class who worked for a regional (not counting the military guys).

Latest resources

Back