Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting on at ASA, likely, and what's their story?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PositionandHold

Truthiness
Anyone know what the situation is for pilots at ASA right now? The ATL base is what attracts me right now because of the several non-stop trips to my home airport per day on DL. ExpressJet is my other option, but I'm open to ASA.

I don't know much about the company, but if someone who knows about it or works there could give me some insight, it'd help me out. I've done some searching, but all I really know is that there are some problems there with the contract.

For a guy with 620/50 (to 60) ME, and about 25 hours of Turbine time, anyone know what my chances would be of getting an interview at ASA? If I wait another couple of weeks, I could have my TT up to 650 pretty easily, and my ME to maybe 60 or 70.

Anyone know what the situation is for pilots at ASA right now?

I really, really hate to be a smartass...but read through a couple pages on the Regionals board and you'll get a good idea about what the situation is at ASA.

I'm just waiting for the "July Lines at ASA are the worst EVAR!" thread to start...

Your chances are pretty good - ASA is recruiting hard right now. Delta is hiring many ASA pilots from the left and right seats so attrition will pull you up the FO ranks fairly quickly and you can get off reserve.

With any airline you take risks that the time you invest in seniority will not pay off. The risks at ASA are higher than SkyWest, where you could bid ATL and hold CRJ900 Captain in as little as two years (if you meet the other mins). SkyWest offers preferential hiring to ASA pilots, so you could go over with loss of your longevity if you wanted.

ASA's scheduling is much friendlier than it has been in the past. Many four day trips would be available which might make for an easy commute. (For the senior guys it is much worse, but for the junior guys it is better)

If you are thinking "career" stay away. This once had a good shot at being a career airline, but our new owners have taken us in a different direction. But for a time builder, it is a better job than some others out there.

If in your shoes I would try:
Chautauqua / Republic Airlines holdings
SkyWest
Express Jet
--- then only if those choices are not available the following in order of growth / hiring projections which I don't have in front of me.

Pinnacle / Mesaba
Eagle
ASA
Mesa

Have you applied to Skywest? The new ATL base went junior. You'll probably upgrade faster in ATL at skywest than at ASA. It's not fair, but it is the reality.

Scott

Anyone know what the situation is for pilots at ASA right now? The ATL base is what attracts me right now because of the several non-stop trips to my home airport per day on DL. ExpressJet is my other option, but I'm open to ASA.

I don't know much about the company, but if someone who knows about it or works there could give me some insight, it'd help me out. I've done some searching, but all I really know is that there are some problems there with the contract.

For a guy with 620/50 (to 60) ME, and about 25 hours of Turbine time, anyone know what my chances would be of getting an interview at ASA? If I wait another couple of weeks, I could have my TT up to 650 pretty easily, and my ME to maybe 60 or 70.

If you can fog a mirror, you can get a job offer these days. I'm guessing it would take a day to get a call back if you faxed in your resume.

Don't let these guys scare you. ASA is still a good company to work for even with the 4+ year controversy. The contract should be done before the end of year which would be good for you as a new hire as you would be able to take the benefits of it and reserve will be short. Also the upgrade times have been dropping and will continue to do so. If anything, I can see the ASA name going away as SKW Inc. tries to clean up ASA's brand image ala ValueJet to Airtran.

Your chances are pretty good - ASA is recruiting hard right now. Delta is hiring many ASA pilots from the left and right seats so attrition will pull you up the FO ranks fairly quickly and you can get off reserve.

Really? I thought Delta had a strict PIC req. So how are FO's being hired with only SIC time?

Latest resources

Back