Getting Kids Interested in Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

The program is designed for 5th grade students. Teachers/parents who are interested can go to the website & download the lesson plans and much more to introduce their students/children to the world of aviation. The folks who run this program are awesome as are the many pilots who volunteer. This includes rampers, flight attendants, ops agents & customer service agents who help the pilots around the system in teaching students about what they do. I post this not to brag but to make those who are involved in teaching children about this resource and what a great program it is. Not directly related to "interview" but if it generates some new applicants for SWA down in 15-20 years, I guess it isn't too far off the purpose of the website:) .

Article from the Houston Chronicle describing the program:

PRN/BW Texas

Feb. 6, 2006, 10:20AM
(PRN) Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot Educational Program Encourages School-to- Career Path

PRNewswire-FirstCall
Students Set Career Goals and Enjoy Adventures in Science, Math, Geography and

Other Subjects
DALLAS, Feb. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- What happens when you put hundreds of Southwest Airlines Pilots up for "adoption"? Thousands of students take them in. This year, more than 30,000 students nationwide will "adopt" Southwest Airlines Pilots in an award-winning educational mentorship program that encourages students to research careers, set personal goals, and realize the importance of achieving in school. More than 650 Southwest Pilots are volunteering in this year's Southwest Airlines Adopt-A-Pilot educational program. Now celebrating its ninth year, the Adopt-A-Pilot program curriculum incorporates science, math, geography, writing, and other subjects to help students experience the real-life application of academics, and also to demonstrate how education is critical in reaching one's personal goals. To learn more about the Adopt-A-Pilot program visit http://www.southwest.com/jp/luvhome.shtml?src=PR_AAP_020606 .
During the four-week long mentorship program, Pilots volunteer their time in adoptive classrooms and correspond from the "road" via e-mail and postcards. Classrooms chart the Pilot's course on an official United States route map and complete lessons covering a broad range of subjects -- all relating back to the Pilot's monthly flying schedule.

New to the program this year is the Adopt-A-Pilot Blog, found at http://www.adoptapilot.blogs.com . Here Pilots and teachers journal their aviation and classroom experiences in the program, while students and parents respond, post questions and comments, and learn from online educational features.
Also new this year is the theme and format for the program's national contest. Called "Career Takeoff," this contest reinforces the program's school-to-career theme by inviting classes to research different careers and produce a "Career Portfolio" entry. The winning class will earn a daylong educational flying field trip to a nearby Southwest destination, while two "runner up" classes will receive $250 cash scholarships for educational supplies.

"Our Southwest Pilots are looking forward to the immeasurably rewarding experiences that come from volunteering in America's classrooms. We are fortunate to work with thousands of inspiring students and their teachers across the country," said Greg Crum, Southwest's Vice President of Flight Operations. "We are appreciative to everyone who collaborates to make AdoptA -Pilot possible. Our primary goal is for students to believe in themselves and to know their communities believe in them as well."

Since the Adopt-A-Pilot program launched nationally in 1997, it has reached more than 110,000 students in communities coast-to-coast. Southwest Airlines originally developed this premiere community relations program in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Education, America's Promise, and the Smithsonian Institute's National Air and Space Museum. National leaders such as former Secretary of State Colin Powell, former President Bill Clinton, and First Lady Laura Bush have recognized the program. To learn more about the Adopt-A-Pilot program, go to http://www.southwest.com/adoptapilot .
Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV), the nation's largest carrier in terms of domestic passengers enplaned, currently serves 62 cities in 32 states. Based in Dallas, Southwest currently operates more than 3,000 flights a day and has 31,000+ Employees systemwide.

Adopt-A-Pilot Launches into its Ninth Year
This year, more than 30,000 students nationwide will "adopt" more than 650 Southwest Pilots in our award-winning educational mentorship program, Adopt-A-Pilot, that encourages students to research careers, set personal goals, and realize the importance of achieving in school.

Now celebrating its ninth year, the Adopt-A-Pilot program curriculum incorporates science, math, geography, writing, and other subjects to help students experience the real-life application of academics, and also to demonstrate how education is critical in reaching one’s personal goals.
During the four-week long mentorship program, Pilots volunteer their time in adoptive classrooms and correspond from the "road" via e-mail and postcards. Classrooms chart the Pilot’s course on an official United States route map and complete lessons covering a broad range of subjects--all relating back to the Pilot’s monthly flying schedule.

New to the program this year is the Adopt-A-Pilot Blog, found at adoptapilot.blogs.com. Here Pilots and teachers journal their aviation and classroom experiences in the program, while students and parents respond, post questions and comments, and learn from online educational features.
Since the Adopt-A-Pilot program launched nationally in 1997, it has reached more than 110,000 students in communities coast-to-coast. To learn more about the Adopt-A-Pilot program, go to southwest.com/adoptapilot.

Last edited:
As the father of a one-year old boy, I plan on doing everything in my power to keep my son from getting interested in flying! Music, sports, art, theater, business... anything except this line of work.

I take a different approach.... My 3 year old is just Plane Crazy about airlines, airliners and aircraft in general, and I couldn't be a prouder dad. Going out to the airport and plane watching with him is a blast, and just thinking that he may be following in my footsteps is heart warming.

I know that if this is what he wants to do someday, he will get through the ups and downs of the industry just like I did (and am still doing.) Who knows, maybe the industry will be in a lot better shape 20 years from now. Even if it isn't, if this is his passion, he'll get through it and make his own decisions.

Why?

This may come across is ignorant, but why would you encourage more people to enter this messed up industry? Supply and demand is part of the reason wages have not kept up to where they could be. Too many pilots and other airline workers chasing the "dream" and now we want more kids joining the profession. It's bad enough that some grey bearded professor at Embry Riddle or any of the aviation colleges sell kids on the "dream" and then take their $100,000 in loan money. Imagine if there really was a pilot shortage, imagine. Yea of course, SWA is still doing great and employees are being take care. However, how long will that last when the hedges run out? I just hope that those presentations also include the realities of the industry including bankruptcy, furloughs, strikes, cut throat competition, lack of respect, time away from home, moral issues, passenger behavior, TSA, etc. That's my dream for these kids.

Fly2Scuba said:
This may come across is ignorant, but why would you encourage more people to enter this messed up industry? ....It's bad enough that some grey bearded professor at Embry Riddle or any of the aviation colleges sell kids on the "dream" and then take their $100,000 in loan money. ...I just hope that those presentations also include the realities of the industry including bankruptcy, furloughs, strikes, cut throat competition, lack of respect, time away from home, moral issues, passenger behavior, TSA, etc.
They won't tell them about the dangers of pursuing the dream, because the lure of aviation as a career is being used in a marxist plot to make everyone in this country "equal".

Once they make everyone equal, crime will cease to exist because everyone will have the same thing, nothing. It won't matter if you turn wrenches in a factory for 19k, fly for 19K or work at Wal-Mart or the fast food industry for 19K, we'll all be the same.

Some of us still love our jobs, even with all the hicups and B.S. Sure beats flying a cubicle around all day!

Why not support your kids in whatever makes them happy?

Mugs you might also look into teaching the children early how to structure a compensation package for a company in bankruptcy that is ironclad and will allow millions to go to management types regardless of outcome. If I could do that I would be in high demand and rich.

I taught my son to fly, he is making a living as an airline pilot, I am now teaching my grandson to fly. This is still a dream job and I am living my childhood dream. I will share this dream with any little kid I see who thinks airplanes are really neat.

If things are ever to improve for airline employees, then the last thing we need is more people getting into aviation as a profession. Now if they want to pursue it at the private pilot level, I would support that wholeheartedly.

Latest resources

Back