• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Hosed!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was on a recent JetBlue flight with a retiring Captain. He got the "hose job" twice! Once at the departure airport and once on arrival. Very cool. Then again, we have only had 3 Captains retire.

Skirt

DFW still does it. I saw a DL 763ER get one last week. The ATA L-1011 salute mention earlier is something they do for the troops returning from the Middle East.

Aloha pilots get hosed all the time, just not at HNL. So, they'll get hosed leaving a mainland or outer island station.

The Fire Dept in ATL does the best they can to do the hosing of retiring pilots. On the day of my retirement flight, so many people retired they couldn't keep the trucks filled up. As I neared the entrance to the ramp, no trucks were there so we waited a couple of minutes as we were told they were on the way. You know, like the hotel van !!

After several minutes, one truck came by in the distance at a high rate of speed and disappeared. I couldn't keep the pax in limbo any longer for my purposes so we just went to the gate.

DL has a greeting committee so someone is there to shake your hand and say a few kind words. Had my wife, retired DL buddy ( I had ridden JS on his retirement flight earlier in the year ), an old friend, and my son on board the flight.

Also had my alltime favorite copilot to work with. That was perhaps the nicest part...that a guy would move mountains just to work with you one last time ( or maybe he just wanted to be there to make sure I was actually leaving...I heard the FO's began dancing in the streets ) He also arranged for a very cool CD video of events beginning with the layover the night before...very creative.

I would hope that all retiring guys would get at least some type formal recognition of this event.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back