Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IB6 UB9

I don't Remember
Father-in-law retires at NWA in a week or so. Mother-in-law said they don't hose the airplane down anymore...too expensive. I thought it was always kind of cool to get hosed down instead of "thanks...leave your ID on the dash!". Does anybody do this still? Any party, anything, or just goodbye?

juan2go said:
Southwest still does it. We'll take any excuse to expose our hoses.

regards,

juan.
Yeah juan....we all know how you guys like to do that in the cock pit with one another. Just tell the FA to keep the camera in her purse next time :D .

Sorry man... couldn't resist.......<grin>.

I was at DFW Monday morning and saw an ATA L1011 get hosed as it came off of Golf. Beautiful sight.

I was in dtw a couple of weeks ago. Leaving the terminal, we were behind a NWA capt by a few yards. He got out of security and his wife and child met him with a balloon. As we walked by they asked if I would take a couple of photos of them. I was happy to obliged. While talking with him, He just did his retirement flight for NWA and this was the celebration. No hose down or anyone to go on the flight with him or even met him at the gate. He was met outside security by family. Sad to say the company didnt do anything for him. It was a pleasure to take his photo that day, his family was very proud of him. I wished a good retirement on our departure that day.

It is optional at Continental I believe. They used to let the guy pick his crew and his final trip also. At expressjet, we had a captian retire recently and they had a cake for him in the crew room along with posting his name in the fils so other guys could attend if they were around.

Delta wet-down

A couple of months ago I was flying back from Vegas, a few thousand bucks poorer, a nagging itch on my little fella I couldn't get rid of, and a bad haircut that I don't remember getting.......anyway, when I boarded the plane there was a picture and bio of the captain. It said this was his last flight and he was being joined onboard by his wife, daughters and sons in law. As we pulled into ATL they did hose down the plane which was pretty cool. Everyone applauded as he made his way to the door to greet everyone on the way out. Pretty cool.

P.S. drugs took care of the itch and my hair has grown back out...still couple of thousand bucks poorer though.

I was on a SWA flight a while back that they did it. The Captain told everybody during the flight that it was his last trip with SWA...and that upon arrival in MCO the fire department would be "creating water arches for the airplane to pass through". He reiterated that again after landing to make sure nobody freaked out and thought the plane was on fire.

It was a very cool sight...I spoke with the Captain(and his wife and 2 sons) for a few minutes on the shuttle to the employee parking lot, and he was still pretty choked up about the whole thing...and actually asked me if I knew of any corporate jobs in the area that would take an "over the hill airline pilot".

Jetblue

Latest resources

Back