• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Helo ratings...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everybody who got into avaition strictly with the intention of making every possible dollar, raise your hand.

Those that raised your hand if that's really true...why are you still here?

One company that you might want to look into is Boatpix.com they charge about 100 buck an hr for r22 time cause you are working for them but the flying is cool. i got my comm heli-add on though heli-flight in Ft-Lauderdale got it done in 38 hrs and cost me about 6K. After that just to fly for fun i pay boatpix to work for them O'well flame on!

The Saint said:
Ok sorry went to the check ride with 38 hrs got the comm-heli add on with 40

Nope, that doesn't work either. You can't "go to the checkride" expecting the checkride time to get ya up to the minimums. C'mon, I'm really trying to scope out the minimum helicopter times, because I have heard a lot of different stories about different interprtation of times required in different FSDO's.

I know what the regs say, (61 & 141) but I also keep hearing of guys getting ratings with less than the regulatory times. I'm trying to determine if there are other loopholes, or is it the same as "I caught a fish thiiiis big..."

I tried to get my helo add-on at the bare minimums of 30 hours (part61)**. Instructor doesn't/didn't like that idea. I'm at 33 now and probably gonna go for the checkride at a little above 40 hours.

Previous experience in aircraft include 200 hours in ASEL. I guess what i'm saying is, just because the FAA allows you to do it with a certain amount of hours, don't expect it to happen. You need to be very competent and have a good instructor who will go along with your idea. I had no choice other than a newly minted CFI who had no more than 5 hours on type - and he, as any new CFI, is worried about sending guys off to checkrides to early and having them fail.

oh well...

edit: ** that is PPL add-on, not CPL. I figured it would be more beneficial to get PPL first and then use the 20 hours dual required for CPL to build up my PIC times to apply for a CPL add-on, rather than fly around solo for 20 hours like a douche with nothing to do. Nearest 141 school to do a "quick" 40 hour CPL add on is a 4 hour drive away.

Last edited:
nosehair said:
Nope, that doesn't work either. You can't "go to the checkride" expecting the checkride time to get ya up to the minimums. C'mon, I'm really trying to scope out the minimum helicopter times, because I have heard a lot of different stories about different interprtation of times required in different FSDO's.

I know what the regs say, (61 & 141) but I also keep hearing of guys getting ratings with less than the regulatory times. I'm trying to determine if there are other loopholes, or is it the same as "I caught a fish thiiiis big..."

I just went and looked and I went for my commercial helicopter checkride with 39.1 hours, checkride was 1.4hrs. This was a part 141 add on to ppsel at FSI about 15 years ago.

Crimson03 said:
I just went and looked and I went for my commercial helicopter checkride with 39.1 hours, checkride was 1.4hrs. This was a part 141 add on to ppsel at FSI about 15 years ago.

OK...thanks for clarifying...15 years ago, who knows what the regs said?

Latest resources

Back