Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
Recently, we had a spirited discussion involving smaller, slower planes in close proximity to larger, faster planes. As the President returned home, another GA pilot violated TFR airspace, puting our flying of non commercial aircraft in further jeopardy. A few noses got out of joint.

Let's talk a little about "rights".

You have a right to the airspace.

You have a right to abide by the regs.

You even have a right to be rude.

You don't have a right to put other's rights in jeopardy, and you particularly don't have a right to put other's lives in jeopardy.

Being a good pilot isn't so much a function of the size of your plane, or how fast you fly. It's a matter of how well you size up the situation, and your ability and willingness to act accordingly, as determined by the prevailing conditions. That is the essence of PIC authority. If you are unwilling to do so, aviation would be best served by a change in your approach to flying, and the underlying attitude that you bring into your cockpit. Check your text, and look up "hazardous attitudes". The FAA has identified several attitudes, and their "antidotes". Every pilot would do well to read them.

We can prevent further regulatory encroachment by flying smarter, now.

If you are an AOPA member, and subscribe to "e pilot", you have just received this story:

FEDS WON'T CHARGE PILOT WHO CAUSED WHITE HOUSE STIR
Federal law enforcement officials say no criminal charges will be filed against the pilot of a Cessna 182 who caused the brief evacuation of the White House Wednesday night. The pilot violated the temporary flight restriction (TFR) over Washington, D.C., after diverting around weather. That very sort of pilot error was the topic of AOPA President Phil Boyer's Pilot Town Meeting in Nashville, which took place at virtually the same time as the violation. "In the climate that exists after the terrorist attacks, pilots have got to fly smarter than ever," Boyer told the assembly.
"It is imperative that GA pilots adhere to the restrictions. Not doing so could undo all that AOPA has accomplished since September 11."

Boyer reiterated that pilots must check and understand all notams before flight.
See ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2002/02-2-226x.html ).

.....and this, too, speaking of airspace....

CINCINNATI CLASS B CHANGE GOOD, BAD FOR GA
Effective July 11, the airspace over Cincinnati will change, and that's good news and bad news for general aviation. The FAA published a final rule that modifies Cincinnati Class B airspace. The good news is that it provides an AOPA-recommended airspace cutout for Clermont County Airport.
The bad news is that it also raises the ceiling of the Class B airspace to 10,000 feet msl.

See
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2002/02-2-213x.html ).

If you think that the things you do and the choices you make don't have an impact on aviation, think again.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you said Timbuilder. However, in light of the subject that started all this discussion, I have a few points.

First, a 182 is not a low performance dog. Most of them are in the low $70's to high $90's and are well equipped IFR capable 130knot airplanes. Flying at 10,000 MSL is not unreasonable for these airplanes. Saying that they shouldn't be shareing the same airspace as Jets is just plane ignorant.

If this had been a NORDO Taylorcraft or J-3 I would agree that it was not wise to be flying just above the top of a busy class B airport.

However, in light of the airplane involved, I don't see your point (or the points that brought about the nastyness).

I understand.

I think the problem lies in dodging weather, in this case the remnants of the earlier thunderstorms, while flying an instrument capable airplane under VFR in a checkerboard of special use airspace.

I would have looked at the forecast, the radar, and the TFR, and remained on the ground until the convective activity died down, then filed IFR and gone flying. By 9:30pm, most of the nasty weather had passed on, and Baltimore and Washington looked like a beautiful carpet of lights.

Certainly, a C-182 can share the same airspace as jets. I'm trying to suggest that doing so requires a level of caution and expertise that many pilots have lost since their checkride day. The visibility of a transponder, and the control by ATC, even for advisories, is almost mandatory.

I don't want to see us lose the "almost" because of a disregard for proper procedures, or even a stubborn adherence to some regulations that may not ensure separation of traffic.

Regarding the "Whitehouse flyby" I think the key words are in the press release. The Feds are not going to charge him criminally. Criminal matters would be the charged out by a US Attorney who would have a hard time proving intent to bust the airspace. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt and all that sillyness, ya know. Nothing was said that I know of about the Fed's we all know so well on violating him. All I know is I would not want to be in his hotseat. I doubt the FAA is done with him.

KlingonLRDRVR

If he was avoiding weather, than thats that.

I not going to risk bending an airplane up or getting killed for airspace.

What should have happened was maybe quauk emergency and not go into a TRW if you know there is very sensitive airspace around, and then of course wave to the F-16 driver, it would only be the nieghborly thing to do.

LR25

Yep.

The best way to avoid weather that you aren't prepared to take on is to delay your takeoff.

I think the pilot could have exercised better judgement in his flight planning.

Ever heard of a 180* turn? The weather was in front of this moron. He excercised his right to fly where he did that day and in the process threatens my future future right- and my future employment - to fly in that same airspace. You don't exist in a vacuum. Every accident effects all of us in increased insurance rates. Every violation effects all of us in potentially more regulation which we don't need. Every news broadcast with another idiot pilot scares the hell out of the general public who already consider general aviation a security threat and an elitist group with more money than sense. Get with the program. If you can't see the difference in operating a 130 kt, VFR, no-weather radar aircraft in a complex NE corridor airspace with TRWs at 10,000' with turbine aircraft that have closure rates of 300 kts or more than operating over Kansas on a CAVU day - then you have alot to learn. Also, have you ever seen your blood oxygen level at 10,000' (especially if you smoke)?

cvsfly said:
... Get with the program. If you can't see the difference in operating a 130 kt, VFR, no-weather radar aircraft in a complex NE corridor airspace with TRWs at 10,000' with turbine aircraft that have closure rates of 300 kts or more than operating over Kansas on a CAVU day - then you have alot to learn. Also, have you ever seen your blood oxygen level at 10,000' (especially if you smoke)?

A truly amazing level of arrogange from a King Air pilot!

Latest resources

Back