• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bringupthebird,

I think you are dead on unfortunately.

Flopgut,

One can only hope you are long gone way before it happens. Your fellow employees thank you.

Oh yeah, He's certainly "dead on" if old guys keep calling the shots.

Watch as I beat a dead horse. Bringupthebird is a pragmatic. He's long on problems and has no answers. Gust Avrakotos described his type in Charlie Wilson's War: "He's a tool, he's a cake-eater, he's a clown, he's a bad station chief, and I don't like to cast aspertions on a guy but he's going to get us all killed". He's already decided health care is a target and that there is no more money available. He likes to believe that because it makes him more comfortable with the only real plan he has which is stick a knife in someone's back. He's a typical old guy type and an ALPA bootlicker. The problem is that there is a better way. You have to check out www.rrb.gov. Rail workers don't have this because they work for the railroad. In fact not all railroad workers get access to the RRB. They have this because they work under the RLA. RRB benefits have been recently strengthened and in fact ten years ago they lowered full retirement age. Any question one might have about health care, disability, survivor benefits, retirement income etc, etc is in there. There is no way airline workers should suffer another day under the RLA and not be included in RRB. But, the message falls on deaf, old ears. ALPA leaders realize RRB solves about half the problems that make up the need for the union. And, as it's always been, it's too easy to backstab. The baby boomers like easy...

No, old guys retire and young guys become old guys and adapt to the conditions as they exist, or else they don't retire (from an airline job at least).

Pragmatism

Pragmatism is a philosophical movement that includes those who claim that an ideology or proposition is true if it works satisfactorily, that the meaning of a proposition is to be found in the practical consequences of accepting it, and that unpractical ideas are to be rejected.

Go back to watching movies with your suspiciously nervous cat.

How come you didn't direct that comment at me? You and I have clashed on this topic many a time.
Is it because, due to the age 65 change, I've been furloughed for the last 2 1/2 years?
Parking all the 737s and furloughing 900 pilots probably has little to do with Age 65.

Let me stop you right there. That sh** isn't coming anytime soon and neither are the new rest rules.

I'd say you're correct on that; no changes to minimum requirements and no change to rest rules. Besides, I doubt that the regionals are having a hard time finding fully qualified pilots right now. Another year from now will be a different story.

Both of you are out of touch with what is going on.

The ATP/1500 rule is federal law, and would have to be amended to change.

Rest rules, who knows.

The regionals are having a hell of a time filling classes.

I was flying with one of our oldest the other day. He can't hear. I mean he really can't hear anything. He's got these hearing aids that are about a 50/50 at best. So we get to the gate and we see the captain who brought it in and he's another one our oldest pilots. For some reason he's lost his voice. He can't talk; He's just moving his mouth and gesturing trying to be apologetic as he attempts to describe what he just wrote up. His mouth is moving, but there is no noise coming out. So the hearing aid captain starts screwing with his ears trying to adjust the hearing aids. Nothing. The other FO and myself made eye contact and I could tell we were both thinking the same thing. We bolted. We were both sick of making up for these guys. The gate area was full of customers and the FAs were there. But the FAs left them as well. I think it took about ten minutes until they finally decided to write messages to each other on the paperwork. What's crazy is nobody can intervene on this kind of thing. They are both check airman. They have friends in the FAA and they make it clear they will retaliate if you have anything to critique them on. it's really screwed up...

Hilarious.

I'm sorry that you have to find out this way, but the US is an ICAO member

Which ostensibly means that the US can't be less restrictive than ICAO. We can be more restrictive than ICAO (e g have a lower age limit) all we want.

Latest resources

Back